This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20101026 - Civilization V

edited October 2010 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights we bring our review of Civilization V now that it's had its first major patch set. In the news, Scribblenauts 2 involves adjectives, and Rock Band 3's Pro Mode is looking slick.

Download MP3

Comments

• Rockband 3. Oh, by Cthulhu, the carpal tunnels are going to be amazing...
  • I shall use as3sfxr for music.

Also:

• Well for the rock band 3 note, they are making a midi converter to plug in the real instrument into the game. No need for electronic wizardry there.
  • I was a huge doubter, but I would really recommend signing up for Amazon Prime. Once I got it, I just started purchasing a ton of my usual household needs through amazon instead of running out to Target/Walmart/Home Depot/Petco. They even sell food. It says free 2-day shipping, but the majority of times, the items show up next day.
  • I was a huge doubter, but I would really recommend signing up for Amazon Prime. Once I got it, I just started purchasing a ton of my usual household needs through amazon instead of running out to Target/Walmart/Home Depot/Petco. They even sell food. It says free 2-day shipping, but the majority of times, the items show up next day.
    The only reason I don't have Prime anymore is that I rarely ever care if something arrives sooner or later.
  • I was a huge doubter, but I would really recommend signing up for Amazon Prime.
    Just a note - all college students with an @*.edu email address can get Amazon Prime for free for a year and it's fantastic.
    the majority of times, the items show up next day.
    Depends on how close to a warehouse you are.
    USA: Phoenix and Goodyear, AZ; New Castle, DE; Whitestown and Plainfield, IN; Coffeyville, KS; Campbellsville, Hebron (near CVG), Lexington, and Louisville, KY; Fernley and North Las Vegas, NV; Nashua, NH; Carlisle, Hazleton, Allentown, and Lewisberry, PA; Dallas/Fort Worth, TX; Sterling, VA
  • edited October 2010
    Depends on how close to a warehouse you are.
    There needs to be one in Washington. Damn that Las Vegas crap. It's even more ironic that the fucking headquarters is in Seattle.

I think I might get Prime if I started buying more for Amazon. I'm so accustomed to going out for shopping. If I didn't do that I would be a total hermit and rarely ever leave my apartment.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • There needs to be one in Washington. Damn that Las Vegas crap. It's even more ironic that the fucking headquarters is in Seattle.
    Our wonderful state is not friendly enough to businesses to make it worthwhile. Cost of building a warehouse in Nevada or Arizona is significantly less than here. Shipping doesn't change either way.
  • Our wonderful state is not friendly enough to businesses to make it worthwhile. Cost of building a warehouse in Nevada or Arizona is significantly less than here. Shipping doesn't change either way.
    Are you referring to cost or time? I was more along the lines of less time of shipping vs. cost.
  • Our wonderful state is not friendly enough to businesses to make it worthwhile. Cost of building a warehouse in Nevada or Arizona is significantly less than here. Shipping doesn't change either way.
    Are you referring to cost or time? I was more along the lines of less time of shipping vs. cost.
    Cost. See, for Amazon to build a warehouse in WA, it would only benefit the customer by making normal shipping be quicker, it doesn't lessen the cost for them. They already have deals with UPS, Fedex, USPS, etc. so that they can get good shipping rates. But the way those businesses work is that rates are based on size and weight, not on distance. So, it doesn't cost them anything different in shipping. The extra costs with building a warehouse here are all related to taxes and fees for the city and state governments. Amazon doesn't have the same business model as say, Netflix, which has a shipping center in Tacoma. For Netflix, the time of shipping is important to them, so it is worth it to them to have warehouses in key locations. Plus, their warehouses are pretty small compared to what Amazon has to stock.
  • edited October 2010
    This thing looks pretty awesome :O
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • This thing looks pretty awesome :O
    I was almost sold. Now I'm FUCKING SOLD.
  • @knox

That makes sense. I didn't know it was a flat rate on weight and not distance. Regardless, damn Nevada and their desert cheapness. It still would be nice if they had a warehouse in a rural cheaper part of Washington. :(

Holy shit@ that video. Technology never ceases to amaze me.
  • edited October 2010
    I thought Fall of Hyperion was a great book! Sure, Hyperion was better, but a good read.

Hardly fits the Scribblenauts comparison.

If you want to make the book/sequel comparison, at least choose Endymion/Rise of Endymion :P
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • I think Fall of Hyperion is the worst book I've ever read in terms of letdown after the first installment in a series. I was actually angry about how bad it was, and it is the first book I ever INTENTIONALLY spoiled for myself, by looking up the ending on wikipedia, just to make sure I didn't go back to finish it and make myself annoyed all over again.

Hyperion is just awesome though, and if you are a fan of either science fiction or literature of any kind, do yourself a favor and read it.
  • edited October 2010
    I think Fall of Hyperion is the worst book I've ever read in terms of letdown after the first installment in a series. I was actually angry about how bad it was, and it is the first book I ever INTENTIONALLY spoiled for myself, by looking up the ending on wikipedia, just to make sure I didn't go back to finish it and make myself annoyed all over again.

Hyperion is just awesome though, and if you are a fan of either science fiction or literature of any kind, do yourself a favor and read it.
    Hyperion > Fall of Hyperion, but Fall is still worth a read, there are some pretty epic moments.

Endymion > Rise of Endymion – First book is a really fun “chase through space”. The second book is what, a philosophy lesson? I didn’t like it.

Oh, haha and

Illium >>>>>>>> Olympos. Illium was SUCH a good story and Olympos just went nowhere.

Dude can’t write sequels…
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • I read Fall over a year after I read Hyperion, so I mostly avoided the "Oh mans this sucks compared to the first book" feeling.
  • I read Fall over a year after I read Hyperion, so I mostly avoided the "Oh mans this sucks compared to the first book" feeling.
    Also Dan Simmons is fucking crazy.
  • I just realized that if Rock Band implements a "Beatles Pro" set for the Beatles Rock Band edition I will be definately be downloading all the songs again :O
  • I actually didn't expect this eps to be the love fest for Civ V that it was.
  • I actually didn't expect this eps to be the love fest for Civ V that it was.
    Civ V's problems are few.
  • Civ V's problems are few.
    Oh I like the game but I recognize that it needs a lot of work and wasn't as polished as it should have been.
  • I hate you, Scott!!

You mentioned Doodle God and now I can't stop "playing" it. The combinations are mostly ridiculous, but I have to figure them all out.

I think Scribblenauts is better because what you come up with is a usually fun and less frustrating than Doodle God.