This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Linux Laptops

edited April 2007 in Technology
In a bizarre twist of fate, after being convinced I didn't need a laptop, I suddenly actually do need one. Lately I've been hitting the programming books hard and my mom is fed-up with me tying up the main home system. I've been spending increasing amounts of time at school, of all places, and it would be nice to be able to actually get some of my work done in the hour and a half period before anime club starts. But I'm dropping the whole gaming thing this time. I'm ready to make the conversion from part-time linux to full-time linux. So, does anyone have some recommendations? The obvious choice is a ThinkPad, but I'm actually rather fond of some of the computers over at System 76. Plus, they're officially partnered with Ubuntu. What do you guys think?

Comments

• With laptops you always want to pick size first. Size matters more for price than anything. Next, eliminate everything that isn't Linux compatible. Finally, see what you can afford. For me, it was a tough choice between the Lenovo ThinkPad X60 and the Fujitsu Lifebook P7230. I took the 7230, and I'm very happy. If you don't want to go for the ultra-portables though, the ThinkPad T series is always awesome. Those System 76 machines look good on the Linux compatibility angle, but as far as hardware goes, they're kind of meh.
  • I've got a box full of T-60s here with Core 2 Duos. They're pretty nice, though the batteries don't last very long.
  • edited May 2007
    I just received my new laptop in the mail: A System 76 Gazelle Performance Laptop. I decided not to go with the ThinkPad after watching my friend's new one tick down 1% battery per minute. Here are some specs and first impressions. Pics to come soon.

- Operating System: Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) Linux
    - Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo: Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz 4MB 667F
    - Memory: 1 GB DDR2 667 MHz
    - Hard Drive: 60 GB 5400 RPM SATA
    - CD-RW / DVD-RW (Dual Layer)
    - Nvidia Geforce Go 7300

Good chance I'll grab some more memory and hard drive in the future, but for the next few months, this is perfect.

Physical:
    - Black, very sturdy case
    - 3.0 megapixel camera above the 14" widescreen
    - Speakers kinda crappy, but hey, it's laptop. I'm using headphones.
    - Standard laptop keyboard. Not as crunchy as optimal, but again, it's a laptop.
    - Tons of spare ports.
    - Standard touchpad.
    - Glossy-ish screen, looks very good.

Internal:
    - Super-smooth. Everything works well together, Core 2 Duo packs a punch.
    - Damn fast. Once again, thanks to the awesome Core 2 Duo.
    - Lots of stuff pre-installed and configured. Not a big deal by itself, but System 76 added lots of personal touches.
    -Really quiet.

All-in-all, I'm quite pleased, at least initially. I highly recommend anyone in the market for a laptop to run Linux on, more specifically Ubuntu, to consider System 76.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I've got a box full of T-60s here with Core 2 Duos. They're pretty nice, though the batteries don't last very long.
    Can you send me a T-60? :)
    Can you send me a T-60? :)
    Me too!