This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rally to Restore Sanity/March to Keep Fear Alive

Comments

• We'll likely head downtown early, get breakfast, and case it out. After the rally, time to walk around and look around.
    You shouldn't have any trouble leaving that early. You're gonna get here like 8-9.
  • I'm heading out of here at 5 tomorrow morning. (going to TRY and beat the traffic.)
    Traffic will be a mess.
  • Traffic will be a mess.
    I think it will only be weekday bad.

Oh wait...
  • edited October 2010
    Well, we do have a plan. Barring crazy traffic around Baltimore before 8 am, we should be driving into Crystal City, parking by 8:30, and then venturing into DC via metro (most likely to L'Enfant) to get as optimal a space as we can manage.
    Post edited by Your Mom on
  • Well, we do have a plan. Barring crazy traffic around Baltimore before 8 am, we should be driving into Crystal City, parking by 8:30, and then venturing into DC via metro to get as optimal a space as we can manage.
    Baltimore to Crystal City is at least an hour.
  • edited October 2010
    I know. I didn't say anything about the distance: just that I'm expecting to hit any major delays in the vicinity of Baltimore and get into Crystal City around 8 am.

I made this drive at least twice a month to go up and see my fiancee early on when we were dating.

My concern is in how many other people may have the same idea--or at least those with routes that would bring them in via Baltimore.
    Post edited by Your Mom on
  • Be warned, I saw some news articles talking about congestion already arising from people coming into town early.
  • Be warned, I saw some news articles talking about congestion already arising from people coming into town early.
    I figure a mass will come in early today. But at 5 in the morning.... No way burnouts and college students will be up then :-p
    I figure a mass will come in early today. But at 5 in the morning.... No way burnouts and college students will be up then :-p
    I would not bet on that. These are the same college students who will wait in very long lines very early for concert tickets, college sports tickets, Otakon registration, midnight releases of blockbuster movies, Hall H at San-Diego Comic-Con, etc.
  • Yea, they will already be there:-p the slackers will come later :-p
  • Why don't you guys just take a train to D.C. then metro to the mall?
  • edited October 2010
    Yea, they will already be there:-p the slackers will come later :-p
    Good luck. I'm not going anywhere near a car this weekend. I might be wrong, but I think it'll be a bad day to be in a car.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
    The DC metro area roadways are a delicate balance that barely functions during the off hours on weekdays and don't really function at all during rush hour. Put an extra load on them and they completely cease to function.

Scott and Laura, you might want to consider coming out to Tysons Corner to meet up with me and ride the Metro from there. I'm near one of the first Orange Line stops so we could probably get a seat and everything.
  • I might be wrong, but I think it'll be a bad day to be in a car.
    It's going to be a bad day to be in a GOTV operation looking for volunteers on Saturday ;-p
  • My Aunt and sister live in Crystal City and we can get free parking with them. Plus, every single time I have driven on 495, it has been a horrendous parking lot nightmare. I'm trying not to jinx the trip as best as I can.

I may have talked Scott into an earlier drive time (woohoo 3-4 am!) followed by an early breakfast at the diner in Potomac Yard, which could be shifted to a Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts quickie breakfast in the underground Crystal City Mall if traffic is all that horrible.

I have no problem trying to meet up in a specific area. Assuming that we'd arrive in on Yellow (since it would the shortest path, we'll probably mostly be hovering in the area North of Air & Space (assuming we can get that kind of prime rally real estate).
  • I may have talked Scott into an earlier drive time (woohoo 3-4 am!)
    5 am was silly, but 3-4 am is just retarded. Why not just leave tonight at 8pm and spend the night?
  • This is why we need high speed rail on the East Coast...
    We actually already have it... IT"S FREAKING EXPENSIVE.
    We have it already. The Amtrak between DC and NYC goes up to 120 mph. The trouble is it's fuck all expensive so a lot of people don't wanna use it.
  • I may have talked Scott into an earlier drive time (woohoo 3-4 am!)
    5 am was silly, but 3-4 am is just retarded. Why not just leave tonight at 8pm and spend the night?
    Because Scott didn't finish the signs, and we are also bringing two other people with us: Bruce and Chris (non-forumite).
  • Because Scott didn't finish the signs, and we are also bringing two other people with us: Bruce and Chris (non-forumite).
    I take it you are returning the same day then? You guys are in for a day of fail. :P
  • I take it you are returning the same day then? You guys are in for a day of fail. :P
    Blah, we have a party to go to that night in Horsham. I'll be rocking caffeine ^_^ (or a heart attack.)
  • Schedule for event from Metromix.com ("Keep in mind, this is preliminary scheduling and subject to last minute changes."):

Pre-Pre Show - 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Video montages and music will play on Jumbotrons to entertain the audience

Pre Show - 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.

12:00-12:40 - The Roots will play for the crowd

12:40-12:57 - A comedian (TBA) will warm up the crowd

12:57-1:00 - Video countdown and intros

Main Show 1 p.m.-3 p.m.

1:00-1:05 - Singing of the National Anthem by special musical guest (TBA)

1:05-1:20 - Jon Stewart welcomes the crowd

1:20-1:30 - Stephen Colbert enters

1:30-1:35 - Benediction by actor Don Novello ("Father Guido Sarducci")

1:35-1:40 - Poem reading by actor Sam Waterston ("Law and Order")

1:40-1:50 - Performance by Jeff Tweedy (Wilco) and Mavis Staples

1:50-2:15 - Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert perform together

2:15-2:20 - Performance by Sheryl Crow

2:20-2:30 - Brief statements from special guests (TBA), both live and taped

2:30-2:40 - Performance by special musical guest (TBA)

2:40-2:50 - Sanity and Fear Awards

2:50-3:00 - Final statements by Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert
  • After that anarchy?
  • After that anarchy?
    *puts on sunglasses* Hit it!
  • Is this or is this not a political rally? I'm seeing conflicting reports.
  • Is this or is this not a political rally? I'm seeing conflicting reports.
    It's going to be a circus of Jokes/internet/politics and generally a call for moderation by highlighting obscurity in our modern day political culture. My signs so far are "Citation Needed" "Don't panic, Everything will be ok tomorrow" "This Font is really big" "Just a note to future rally attendee's foam board absorbs markers".

At this point though for the most part any rally that calls for sanity and civil discourse is going to favor the democrats :-p
  • He recently spoke about the rally and what its' all about on a recent NPR Fresh Air Podcast.
  • What about a sign showing Hitler with a Nazi caption to poke fun at all the "X is a Nazi" signs?

What about an "I like pie" sign? It would be fun to make two signs that say one thing when held together and something different when held apart.
  • What about an "I like pie" sign? It would be fun to make two signs that say one thing when held together and something different when held apart.
    My don't panic sign will probably have a flap that covers over "don't".