This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rally to Restore Sanity/March to Keep Fear Alive

Comments

• edited October 2010
    A picture of the Dudes from Flight of the Concords, with the words "The best Tea Party is my Nanna's Tea Party."

Or of course, a Black sign, with green text, that says "You're in a Small hut. There is a Fishing Pole. Exits are OUT and WEST."
    Post edited by Churba on
  • We're at the rally across from the main stage on the 4th street side. I'm carrying a sign with the quadratic formula on it, but I sometimes put it down because my arms tire easily.
  • It's streaming live on C-SPAN now if you're not near a TV.
  • It's streaming live onC-SPANnow if you're not near a TV.
    Probably a better feed at comedy central.
  • Wow, I'm definitely glad I didn't go all the way to DC for this.
  • Wow, I'm definitely glad I didn't go all the way to DC for this.
    Yes, exactly what was expected.
  • Can we have a rally to restore comedy now?
  • I'm enjoying this. I kinda wish I could be there. What aren't you guys enjoying?
  • I'm enjoying this. I kinda wish I could be there. What aren't you guys enjoying?
    The Roots, Mythbusters (the wave? really?), the lack of comedy from Stewart and Colbert, the lame musical performances (except for the 2-3 minutes Ozzy was on stage), etc. I agree with the message and I love The Daily Show, but I'm mostly bored with this.
  • The Axe commercial at the end of the Comedy Central stream was by far the funniest part.
    1. The Axe commercial at the end of the Comedy Central stream was by far the funniest part.

I liked the very subtle teabagging reference.
  • edited October 2010
    It was a mediocre show. Some pretty good famous people, and some jokes. They were all barely on the stage. The energy felt kind of low, judging from the broadcast. Worth seeing if you are a fan. Definitely not worth traveling and standing in that huge crowd for so many hours. If you live in the area, then why the heck not? Otherwise glad I saved my Halloween weekend.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I guess I can see that. Mythbusters were lackluster. But, I enjoyed all the other parts I saw. Opinions, man.
  • I thought that Jon Stewart's speech was excellent at the end.
  • I thought that Jon Stewart's speech was excellent at the end.
    Yeah, I agree. It's ironic that the best part of the show was when Jon Stewart was being serious.
  • I did not enjoy the part where the first 40 minutes of the show was basically a concert by some musicians I don't particularly like. The rest was okay, but... yeah, so glad I stayed in NY and sat on my ass this weekend.
  • If you missed the rally for whatever reason, you need to watch this.

Jon Stewart's "You go, then I'll go" speech:
  • That was beautiful.
  • Enjoyed the show and the crowd was very cool. Whole atmosphere was low key but I think that is what they were going for. Train music sketch was quite good. To get the sense of what Jon Stewart and friends aimed for watch the video above from trogdor42 it was a really good speech. The wave stuff with Mythbusters was fun if you were there, it kept us entertained and got us warmed up (much better than the wave while waiting in line at the metro earlier in the day).
  • Just got back, it was awesome (Though i agree the beginning was slow, though for people in the crowd instead of at home the mythbusters were actually really fun, since it was audience stuff and you had to be there). We got there early and had no trouble with the trains (unlike other people who were not as prompt) on the way in. On the way out all the restaurants were mobbed and the trains were overloaded but we made it to Crystal city with every little trouble and had some nice Buffalo burgers.
  • edited October 2010
    NPR's article
    My sign got mentioned in the NPR article!!!!

"High: Creative signage was the most reliably entertaining sight of the day. Some were simple ("THIS FONT IS BIG"), ("I Stand 4 Good Posture"), some called back to Stewart's and Colbert's jokes of the past ("Baby carrots might be GAY!!"), and some took a minute to fully absorb ("My wife is a Muslim and not a terrorist, but I'm scared of her anyway," "I thought Neil Young was going to be playing"). I also met a nearby couple in authentic Star Trek uniforms they informed me were custom-made in China. Their signs included "Legalize Romulan Ale" and "Fear Is Illogical.""

I also got interviewed by a ireporter but I haven't found his video uploaded from CNN yet.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • The Seattle rally was fun for Jeremy and myself. Although it did end up raining, we were under a huge tree, so we weren't affected by it. There were a lot of awesome signs and awesome people. What surprised me is that the majority of the crowd from what I saw was a lot of older upper 40's-50's aged people verses the younger 20's-30's crowd. There were also a decent number of Canadians with signs.

We have some really cool speakers and comedians talking in the beginning as well as whenever we cut off feed of the DC rally.

I'll have to watch the entire DC rally sometime to see what they didn't show us. We didn't see any musical performances or anything from Mythbusters. However, we did leave around 11:30 because we wanted to get something to eat.

If I'm not feeling lazy, I might post pictures I took at the rally. (Project ST)
  • So, does anyone know of an archive feed/vid of the entire rally for those of us who had to work all day? >__>
  • So, does anyone know of an archive feed/vid of the entire rally for those of us who had to work all day? >__>
    Don't bother with the entire rally. Seriously, not worth it. Watch some clips instead.
  • This rally was awesome and all of us who went had a great time.
  • ReasonTV posted a video from the rally. They managed to find quite a few wingnuts at the rally and a few sane people.
  • edited October 2010
    They managed to find quite a few put a bunch of wingnuts at the rally in their video and a few sane people.
    An important distinction. I'm willing to bet that even the Tea Party gatherings aren't as batshit crazy as New Left Media makes them out to be. Editing is a powerful tool.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Theymanaged to find quite a fewput a bunch of wingnuts at the rallyin their video and a few sane people.
    An important distinction. I'm willing to bet that even the Tea Party gatherings aren't as batshit crazy as New Left Media makes them out to be. Editing is a powerful tool.
    ReasonTV also bills itself as a home of "libertarian videos." It's right upfront about its lack of objectivity, and any video should be viewed with that in mind.
  • Why so defensive? There was no shortage of laughs when videos were posted of wingnuts at Tea Party events?
  • edited November 2010
    Why so defensive? There was no shortage of laughs when videos were posted of wingnuts at Tea Party events?
    I certainly wasn't laughing, and I wasn't defensive of the Tea Party people because, regardless of any individual level of craziness, I disagree with their political ideals and dislike the pundits and politicians that support them.
    Post edited by Walker on