This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rally to Restore Sanity/March to Keep Fear Alive

12346»

Comments

• Why so defensive? There was no shortage of laughs when videos were posted of wingnuts at Tea Party events?
    I certainly wasn't laughing, and I wasn't defensive of the Tea Party people because, regardless of any individual level of craziness, I disagree with their political ideals and dislike the pundits and politicians that support them.
    Yeah, laughter would not describe my reaction to those videos. Choking disgust would.

There's not a lot of room to skew perspectives with editing in a video of a rally of crazies relative to a rally of liberals, moderates, rational folks, and good-humored people. That's why I'm taking the video that was just posted with a grain of salt.
  • Why so defensive? There was no shortage of laughs when videos were posted of wingnuts at Tea Party events?
    I certainly wasn't laughing, and I wasn't defensive of the Tea Party people because, regardless of any individual level of craziness, I disagree with their political ideals and dislike the pundits and politicians that support them.
    If you didn't speak up then why are you speaking out now? Do you only object to media bias when it hits close to home? Why didn't you point out the selective editing back then?
  • If you didn't speak up then why are you speaking out now? Do you only object to media bias when it hits close to home? Why didn't you point out the selective editing back then?
    There's not a lot of room to skew perspectives with editing in a video of a rally of crazies relative to a rally of liberals, moderates, rational folks, and good-humored people. That's why I'm taking the video that was just posted with a grain of salt.
  • edited November 2010
    Why didn't you point out the selective editing back then?
    Probably because since then I turned 18, started giving a damn about politics and registered to vote.
    Post edited by Walker on
    Yeah, laughter would not describe my reaction to those videos. Choking disgust would.

Wow, just wow.

So, if a biased video airs portraying a group you don't agree with as being crazy you are more inclined to believe it but when the same sort of video is created portraying a group you do agree with as crazy it is suspect? Are you serious? You do know that all groups (once they reach a certain size) will attract crazy and stupid people?

You are beginning to sound like the people who think all Muslims are terrorists because of the actions of a few.
  • edited November 2010
    So, if a biased video airs portraying a group you don't agree with as being crazy you are more inclined to believe it but when the same sort of video is created portraying a group you do agree with as crazy it is suspect? Are you serious? You do know that all groups (once they reach a certain size) will attract crazy and stupid people?
    Every single Tea Partier I have talked to personally, seen, heard, or read quotes from can only be described as an irrational human being. I have yet to hear a logical, well-developed argument from these people. I do not hate them, but I pity them. When I find one who is not a hypocrite and who can actually articulate their arguments on a rational level, I will reevaluate my stance. Until then, I, as a rational human being, must simply operate within the constraints defined by the presented evidence.

I acknowledge that all groups attract crazies. However, the lack of any contrary evidence is the alarming element at Tea Party gatherings.
    You are beginning to sound like the people who think all Muslims are terrorists because of the actions of a few.
    No, I would say you are jumping to conclusions; you made this statement before hearing my case. This is also an ad hominem attack.

Anyway, we all fall victim to bias in some ways, and I do watch straight-up right-wing media to balance out my regular reading of Huff Post and the like (I know the Beckster well). However, I have yet to see some true logic, reason, and sense stem from the Tea Party movement. A lack of those three things, along with (perhaps) the endless sense of doomsaying and dread that permeates that movement are what led me to use to word "crazy." So, I apologize if you took that quite literally, and should it suit your interests, you can replace the use of the word "crazies" with "irrational human beings."

Also, please never compare me to bigots again. I am above such ignorance, and you are above leveling such accusations.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Even though it was hard to hear and impossible to see, I had a great time and I'm glad I went. The crowd was enormous, but it was one of the most chill, well-behaved giant mass of human bodies I've ever seen. And that's coming from someone who haaaates crowds. It was as if everyone was trying to be sane to adhere to our message. Hm.

We met one crazy leftist conspiracy theorist and one obnoxious smoker. Everyone else I came across was tolerable at the least. Not bad at all. The best moments of the show itself were definitely the interactions between Stewart and Colbert, and Stewart's closing speech. Most of the musical numbers I could've lived without.

I agree with most of Stewart's message, and I'm glad to have gone to be a part of something I believe in! Plus getting to hang out with friends (no matter how briefly) is always fun. I don't think I would do this again, mostly because of the Metro, but I don't at all regret doing it this time.
  • One of my favorite signs I saw in Seattle.

• If he'd have asked me about my vote, I'd have been able to tell him what congressional district # I'm in, and that for senate I'm voting Democrat despite the fact that my current senator was involved in the NYS senate Democrat/Republican slamfest, because not only is her opponent from the Conservative party whom I strongly disagree with on most issues, but he has revealed very little on where he stands with most issues, focusing almost primarily on legalizing gambling in Queens.

And then he'd have cut me out of the reel.
  • Sigh...

I have my list of votes planned, but I'm conflicted on several of them. Even my rep, otherwise fairly OK, pushes heavily for pork and has supported Scientology-funded pseudoscience bullshit in the past...
  • I was at the DC rally and it was awesome. Someone had a laptop and was streaming the live stuff on stage in the crowd. Me and Jed shared a sign with Kaiba's face on it saying: Screw the Rules. I have MONEY. All the people I met were pretty cool, helpful and from everywhere. Too bad I didn't see anyone I knew who was going. Plus, getting anywhere in NWDC was impossible due to everyone. Even the buses was crowded!

Random thing: Did anyone see the dragon bus from Burning Man. They were off to the side, but they drove up for the rally. I shit you not, a golden bus shaped like a dragon playing funk music.
  • Sigh...

I have my list of votes planned, but I'm conflicted on several of them. Even my rep, otherwise fairly OK, pushes heavily for pork and has supported Scientology-funded pseudoscience bullshit in the past...
    Yeah, it seems like the choices this election are particularly bad - like, worse than usual. I didn't even register to absentee vote for Connecticut's elections.
  • Did anyone see the dragon bus from Burning Man.
    That was pretty fantastic.
  • Did anyone see the dragon bus from Burning Man.
    Did anyone not see it?

It totally had a flamethrower on its mouth too.
  • Here are some of the comedians who spoke in Seattle.

• This should have been a Daily Show sketch (at all of the big rallies)

• This should have been a Daily Show sketch(at
    HAHAHAHAHAHA.. I saw that sign and understood what was being said ^_^
  • I always thought it was pronounced "Keens", but Wikipedia says I'm wrong.
  • Economics major's note: Everyone who has a basic understanding of modern economics is a Keynesian. That is all.
  • Economics major's note: Everyone who has a basic understanding of modern economics is a Keynesian. That is all.
    On the other hand, you realise just how much more retarded people in politics are when it comes to economics.
  • I still haven't found my voter registration card. Screw it, I'll just show up at my polling place with an ID and see what happens.
  • I still haven't found my voter registration card.
    I've never had one. I registered in New York when I got a New York driver's license, and never received anything.
  • I still haven't found my voter registration card.
    I've never had one. I registered in New York when I got a New York driver's license, and never received anything.
    It's more of a certificate I suppose. I think I'll be fine. I was just using it as an excuse to be lazy and not try to vote.
  • Yeah, I suppose every state could be different, but I've never received/needed a voter registration card either.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, I suppose every state could be different, but I've never received/needed a voter registration card either.
    PA had a legit, actual card. VA is just a registration it seems. I don't think it was really any more than a paper saying that I had indeed been registered to vote.
    Post edited by George Patches on