This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nutrition, Health, & Fitness

Comments

• It is too cold outside :O
    I am seriously thinking on just getting used to this cold weather once again and just keep running 5 miles at least 5 days a week or 25 miles a week. I think this will help me lower my time and it won't be as time consuming. I mean running is suppose to be fun an not a chore, right?
    Take a dance class - you will have more fun and you can keep warm indoors. ^_~
  • I mean running is suppose to be fun an not a chore, right?
    It's a chore to start. It only really starts to get fun once you start to see some improvement. Or at least that's my experience. It DOES get fun, though... for a certain value of "fun." Perhaps "rewarding" would be a better description.
  • It's a chore to start. It only really starts to get fun once you start to see some improvement. Or at least that's my experience. It DOES get fun, though... for a certain value of "fun." Perhaps "rewarding" would be a better description.
    I would often not want to go to track practice, especially if the weather is bad. Running only gets fun once you are doing it for a few minutes and the endorphins rush into your blood and you feel the freedom of speed. I always procrastinate about starting out and I don't look forward to it, but once I am going, it is the best feeling.
  • I did horrible things to my calves running and haven't run since. I think I need to rethink with how much vigor I attack this from my current state of non-running physical activity.
  • I did horrible things to my calves running and haven't run since. I think I need to rethink with how much vigor I attack this from my current state of non-running physical activity.
    If you're not in great shape and you've never really exercised much before, you need to break into it slowly. Start with lower-impact cardio before you go straight to running.
    Work up to it. Also, you will HURT after you exercise for the first time in a while. I am always ache-y after new weight training. I remember one day when I played sports all night at the AFS sleep over (I drove our Columbian exchange student there and participated) and then slept on a table, and it was horrible to climb stairs for two days afterwards. Deal with it, and when the pain gets a little less, get out there and run again.
  • Stairs are easy, but running is agony and walking is relatively painful.
  • Man the fuck up.
  • I mean running is suppose to be fun an not a chore, right?
    It's a chore to start. It only really starts to get fun once you start to see some improvement. Or at least that's my experience. It DOES get fun, though... for a certain value of "fun." Perhaps "rewarding" would be a better description.
    Don't ger me wrong, I love running and I see the results from my marathon training. The thing is that the days are getting shorter and I don't like to run a lot of time in the dark :P
  • edited November 2010
    Stairs are easy, but running is agony and walking is relatively painful.
    It's just because you are a running virgin. It gets better.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Man the fuck up.
    When I bike, I'm in minor agony the entire time. I'm pushing myself as fast as I can and getting as far as possible as quickly as possible. When I run, I zone out and ignore the dull ache. When I ski, all pain is overridden by sheer exhilaration.

If you want to be fit, man up and push yourself. ;^)
  • Sports hurt, but they hurt soooo goood. Run more and you will understand.
  • Yeah, but I think that maybe cause I didn't stretch enough (or maybe not properly) that I've actually done damage to my muscles and pushing more right now would only exacerbate the problem.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, but I think that maybe cause I didn't stretch enough (or maybe not properly) that I've actually done damage to my muscles and pushing more right now would only exacerbate the problem.
    You have done damage to your muscles. Every time you push yourself, you slightly damage your muscles and they heal stronger. Jog a quarter mile or something every day, do stretches, and you will see that the pain goes away.

edit: Trust me, unless you did something very weird, running a half mile with minimal stretching will not fuck your legs up. You are feeling what I feel when I climb the mountain for the first time in a season.
  • I know it's probably fine, but it's a pretty sharp pain, not a dull ache.
  • Wow, nice excuses. No wonder you can barely run a quarter mile.
  • edited November 2010
    See how it feels in a few days if you do stretches every day and apply heat pad.
    If it feels better at all get out there and run more.
  • Yeah, but I think that maybe cause I didn't stretch enough (or maybe not properly) that I've actually done damage to my muscles and pushing more right now would only exacerbate the problem.
    Do Lions stretch before they go for a Gazelle?

• I was working out the other day and someone decided to film me.
  • Do Lions stretch before they go for a Gazelle?
    I've seen cats stretch so I think lion would probably too.
  • edited November 2010
    Do Lions stretch before they go for a Gazelle?
    I've seen cats stretch so I think lion would probably too.
    One of the businesses my boss dabbles in is custom uniforms for sports teams. As such I chat with more than a few coaches for teams, from tee ball to college. I did learn that apparently there is a class of stretching that is not too good for running, and can actually hurt your performance.

relevant linkage

edit: lined out irrelevant authoritative credentials
    Post edited by zehaeva on
  • I've always heard that you're actually supposed to stretch after physical activity. If you do it before, you're actually more likely to tire out and end up hurting yourself. You certainly want to "warm up" before physical activity, but heavy stretching should be done separately.
  • I've always heard that you're actually supposed to stretchafterphysical activity. If you do it before, you're actually more likely to tire out and end up hurting yourself. You certainly want to "warm up" before physical activity, but heavy stretching should be done separately.
    I'm inclined to believe this. I found some videos on how to properly stretch my calf muscles and it already feels a lot better.
  • I find that stretching after a run is all I need. I never stretch before, and I try to stretch for at least half the time I spent running.

Slow, steady stretching, holding the same positions for a long time, and I rarely feel the soreness the next day. I was corrected for doing bouncy stretches once, and learned you can mess your muscles up that way.
    QFT! :D
  • I'm inclined to believe this. I found some videos on how to properly stretch my calf muscles and it already feels a lot better.
    That's what I said. Now heating pad before bed, and you will soon be running again.
  • That's what I said.
    That's why I did it. I have no heating pad though, so extra blankets are gonna hafta do.
  • Johnny Wander to the rescue
    I totally forgot about this. I always planned on making one, but never got around to it. This will be perfect for heating up my fingers so I don't have to turn on the heater!
    QFT again. I love how painful it is to try to walk up stairs the next day after a good fencing footwork conditioning workout.
    I've always heard that you're actually supposed to stretchafterphysical activity. If you do it before, you're actually more likely to tire out and end up hurting yourself. You certainly want to "warm up" before physical activity, but heavy stretching should be done separately.
    I just saw a study on this, actually, and the conclusion was that stretching before a workout was a waste at best. I wish I could remember where it was. A quick googling doesn't turn up anything I recognize.