This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Neptune's Pride

edited November 2010 in Video Games
http://np.ironhelmet.com/

It's like Master of Orion. Anyone want to play? It costs some galactic credits to start a game, but I will pay for it if enough people are into it and for serious.

Comments

• It looks interesting. I'd be willing to give it a go.
  • I'm game.
  • I'm willing to try it once.
  • I'd be up for it.
  • I'd much rather try to play something like Solium Infernum
  • I started a game called FRC Game

It should be free to join.

The password is warmtoday
  • I'll check it out.
  • I joined the game, but I'm not that good with games requesting strategic thinking. Still I'll try my best.
  • edited November 2010
    I joined the game, but I'm not that good with games requesting strategic thinking. Still I'll try my best.
    I've played a game (and a half) of it, and it's not very strategically deep insofar as the mechanics are concerned. Just build as many of the money making buildings as possible as fast as you can up until the point where you think you have enough of an advantage, and then just immediately switch to building as many unit making buildings as possible.

Here is the Neptune's Pride Battle Calculator so you can pre-calculate if you'll win a battle or not before you send ships (you could just do this in your head, but meh, this is easier).

The actual fun/strategic part is the diplomacy. You can make all sorts of bargains and such with other players, but none of it is enforced in the game itself, so betrayal is the name of the game. Deciding when to betray your allies (typically at the same point where you switch from all money buildings to all military buildings, they trade you a Tech expecting a fair trade in return, and you just dick them all at once) is probably the most important decision you'll make.
    Post edited by Xefas on
  • Joined as well. We'll see how this goes...

I used to play these all the time, back in the day. Not sure if I'll be able to pick up where I left off.
  • I may join if there is still a spot when I wake up in the morning/afternoon. I'm not much good at these things, but it seems interesting. I just don't want to steal a spot from someone who would actually use that spot to great effect.
  • edited November 2010
    Only 6 player slots, eh? I joined. I have little idea what this game is just yet, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • One slot left.
  • Last spot claimed. I spent 45 seconds skimming the help section. Game on, gentlemen. =D
  • Damn, I read about this earlier today on another site and was thinking of trying it out. If anyone wants to start another game I'd be down to join.
  • Many of you need to do something.
  • Who is "The Golem"?
  • Who is "The Golem"?
    Me. I set my Alias after starting the game.
  • edited November 2010
    I figured as much, since I thought you would be in the game, and all the other aliases are people's forum names.
    Why that name instead of "Apreche"?

Also, it's pretty cool how this is real-time on such a glacial scale. It makes it kinda realistic in that regard, and helps playability a lot.
  • Why that name instead of "Apreche"?
    The game auto-selected that name for me. I joined the game before setting an Alias. Now that I set an alias, it didn't take.
  • I started in a Free Game being offered since I missed this opportunity, but now I'm interested in other games like this. Besides the one first mentioned, any others like this?
  • edited November 2010
    The events so far, from public knowledge aka "spies":

Dromaro, who got an early start on the game, has expanded his empire to three stars - the only one to do so as yet! He also chose to put one point into Economy and 2 into Industry, giving him 6 and 7 respectively, and a slight early lead in ship tally, as he is the only one to upgrade Industry.

lackofcheese has simply chosen to put three points into Economy, for a total of 8.

Lord Admiral Yoshokatana has, as far as our spies can tell, done absolutely nothing to date.

Apsup has not only achieved an Economy of 8, but has also built a third Super Carrier, resulting in 3 fleets to everyone else's 2.

Shiam has, similarly to Lackofcheese, expanded Economy to 8. Nothing more is known.

The Golem has upgraded Economy to only 6, which suggests he is keeping money in reserve for some reason. However, our spies' intel suggests that he has begun by moving one of his fleets on a long-distance jump - at 13:42 on Nov 13 he was recorded to say "i can't believe it takes a fleet 24 real hours to fly. Might as well not play again until tomorrow."
  • The Golemhas upgraded Economy to only 6, which suggests he is keeping money in reserve for some reason.
    Wait, WHAT? How the fuck? It cost me $55 to upgrade my economy and I only have $46 remaining. Did you start with more money than I did?
  • edited November 2010
    Economy, Industry and Science upgrades are local, not global; the cost increases linearly with how much the star has been upgraded already, and decreases the more natural resources the planet has (perhaps in inverse proportion?).
    If I hadn't made a slight mistake, I'd have had 10 or even 11 Economy by the end of the first day.
    EDIT: OK, 11 was impossible, but I probably should've had 10.

You done fucked up, Scott.
  • edited November 2010
    WTF HAPPENED? Tell me exactly wtf you clicked on. My available funds have not increased even $1 since the game started.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited November 2010
    In a new development, the Alaraph star system has willingly joined lackofcheese's Empire. Now lackofcheese has three stars and an Economy of 9!
  • edited November 2010
    WTF HAPPENED? Tell me exactly wtf you clicked on. My available funds have not increased even $1 since the game started.
    I went to a less developed star and went for the cheap upgrade rather than the expensive one available at my main star. I, too, have not yet received additional funds; it seems this only happens once per day.
  • I went to a less developed star and went for the cheap upgrade rather than the expensive one available at my main star.
    Oh, ok. So I'm not crazy, I just didn't realize that upgrade costs could vary that wildly.

Really, if you think about it, that's really unlike every other similar game. New planets are usually very expensive to start, and they start slow and build up linearly. In this game planets grow logarithmically and starting new ones is very very cheap.

I should be fine tomorrow after my ships arrive at their destinations.
  • edited November 2010
    You should still be able to upgrade whichever star you didn't buy that expensive upgrade at; it should be much cheaper there, probably under $20. You're somewhat right, though; the limiting factor to economy growth early on will primarily be the number of stars, since you need those undeveloped stars for the cheap upgrades, and fleets can take a whole day to reach their destination.

Also, since the cost of an upgrade seems to grow linearly with the level of E/I/S, the total money spent should be proportional to the square of the level, and so the Economy/Industry/Science prowess of a star grows proportional to the square root of the money you've spent on it, not the logarithm.

The effect of this is that essentially every star is valuable, which is probably a good thing.
  • star grows proportional to the square root of the money you've spent on it, not the logarithm.
    Oh duh. I always forget that ln(x) starts below 0 and is a very similar shape to x^(1/2).