This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NaNoWriMo 2010

13»

Comments

• After posting last night I wrote another 1300 words. After a short session today I'm up to 13217.

I have another day at sea today, due to 6-8 meter swells at sea, and the ship missing a port. I thought I'd get more writing done, but I'm a bit distracted with minor sea sickness. I guess I won't get caught up today, as I'm still about 3400 words behind the end of day goal for day 10. Or maybe I'll just push though to some chapters that are easier to write...
  • Is anyone using LaTeX to write their novella?
  • During two days at sea, I wrote 9458 words, and have caught up to the day ten target of NaNoWriMo. Boo yah!
  • Hmm... I'm still at 10K at the 1/3 mark. I'm not sure if my story material just isn't as appealing as it was when I was planning it out, or if I'm getting more burned out from having 500% more work than I did last year. Probably a little of both. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to catch up though, I just may not ever get fully ahead of the daily goals like I did early on last year.
  • I found out this website is a great resource when it comes to making yourself stay on task and keep writing.

That said, I have been really slacking off due to trying to get my school work done-- I haven't even hit the 10000 word mark yet. I'm planning on spending a good portion of the weekend just catching up.
  • Yeah, I'm beyond the point to catch up. I'm gonna keep working on it, but there is no way I can complete it before the end of November.
  • Okay, I was really lazy yesterday. I had a decebt buffer, but I still feel bad for not writing 1667 words yesterday. Oh well. I will hopefully have the chance to catch up today.
  • I wrote another 3500+ words today, crossing 20,000 in total, and I'm ahead by at least a day. I need to get ahead like this while on a work trip, because when I get home I'm going to have way more distractions, and way more things to occupy my time.
  • Past that 10k Border. Might not beat it, but I feel damn good now writing it. Everything is flowing smoothly. On a random note, I put the whole story through the filter, and I got this result:

I write like
    Douglas Adams

I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

• I took a day off writing yesterday, as I had to actually work. And then after doing my shows, I mainly drank in the bar.

Today the weather has been good, so I've been out in the sun and hot tub, listening to an audio book, and then recording a podcast review. Tonight I'll get onto more writing. Thankfully, even after a day off yesterday, I'll still be ahead, even if I only do 200 words or so today.
  • and then recording a podcast review
    Is there someone awesome on the boat that you are interviewing?

I write like
    Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

Awesome-sauce.
  • and then recording a podcast review
    Is there someone awesome on the boat that you are interviewing?
    Nope, it was a SFBRP episode about a shit book, full of many, many rants.

Since last posting in this thread, I opened the file with my novel, rolled over in bed, and slept for three hours. Awesome. That'll teach me for sitting out in the sun all day...
  • Yeah, so as I said in another thread, I quit on this last night. I just couldn't get myself to write the story I'd planned out. All enthusiasm I had for it went away before I even started the actual writing part. I now know that in the future, it's better to not plan so much ahead of time, and also to not restrain myself to a certain frame or style.

Also, don't try to get anything done when Rock Band 3 comes out.
  • Despite sleeping most of the evening, I managed 1500 words. I was stuck for ages before, and I think sleeping on it actually helped.
  • In the past five days I've only written on two. I'm now about 3,000 words behind.
  • I'm crazy behind. I'm gonna start up again on Monday and power-write for a while. Being home alone is a good opportunity for this.
  • I'm crazy behind. I'm gonna start up again on Monday and power-write for a while. Being home alone is a good opportunity for this.
    See, being home alone for me was a real distraction. I need to be on the road, without connection to the internet and a juggling studio and friends around and shopping to do and games to play...
    See, being home alone for me was a real distraction. I need to be on the road, without connection to the internet and a juggling studio and friends around and shopping to do and games to play...
    When I'm home alone, I will probably be far less distracted. Also, I have a real drive to get it done. Also, my internet connection at home sucks, so I might retreat to my novel...Hopefully.
  • Hardly got any work done this weekend...

I have to ask, since we have some people who completed NaNoWriMo. I have full intentions on finishing this novel, but I'm doubting if I can beat it before the deadline. Is the NaNoWrio Prize, of the Writing Program Discount worth it? I spoke to one girl who had it, during a JMU meet-up, who said it was fantastic, but I was curious about what the former participants here thought.
  • I've never read about a prize. There might be one, but I write a novel to write a novel.

Or, in the case of today, not write a novel, go juggling for two hours, hang out for an hour, play NS for two hours, and now I'm off to bed...