This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20101115 - The Internets

Comments

• To his credit, I do keep listening to his program. Mostly because I am an advocate of listening to all sides before deciding things. But, I have relegated it to just background noise instead of active listening, which I do for things like... GeekNights. And ATW9K. And Fast Karate. And AWO. Among others.
    That's admirable, but not right. Just because someone says some crazy bullshit, doesn't mean you have to listen to them for fairness. Delusional Crackpot is not, as Scott said, a side. It's a person being delusional.

I will argue in his favour, however, that Curry is damn skilled at producing compelling and entertaining media. I would be happy to be apprenticed to someone as skilled as curry for that - But respecting his skills doesn't mean I think him any less delusional.
  • The point is that the dosage administered by these machines is equivalent to the amount of ionizing radiation to which you are exposed in two minutes of flying. Two minutes. That's it. 40-something minutes ofordinary existenceexposes you to just as much ionizing radiation.

The FDA info that I linked to spells it out very plainly. You're exposed to ionizing radiation constantly. The amount of additional radiation to which these machines expose you is so small that it effectively does not exist.
    Okay, I read it, (and note I knew that you get more radiation in the plane than in this x-ray) and it looks like it is not like getting a dental X-ray or anything. However, I am leery of that other kind, because it might actually cause more damage to DNA than the x-ray one does.
  • I did a presentation with a group in college for a Homeland Security course that basically talked to the points you guys make, Rym and Scott. We need trained professionals, better technology (or techniques) and a better system. As a security officer, I could have given a rat's ass about actual physical security but I didn't. If someone looked like they belonged there I gave them a nod and moved on. I had to man a scanner at a cell phone refurbish warehouse, but all I had to do was use a wand metal detector (no groping).
  • edited November 2010
    FAA's rules for getting a pilot's license (certificate) differ depending on the type of aircraft you fly. You can choose among airplanes, gyroplanes, helicopters, gliders, balloons, or airships.
    airships
    Sign me up.

EDIT: In fact, one of my plans if/when I become ridiculously wealthy is to commission the building of a transcontinental pleasure zeppelin, from which I may better survey my domain.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Hmm....I can already fly three of those things. I should get looking into this myself.
  • Put in the time to learn how to fly a Learjet, and you could probably get someone to sponsor a work visa for you.
  • Put in the time to learn how to fly a Learjet, and you could probably get someone to sponsor a work visa for you.
    It would be a viable option, but that's about 20-30 thousand dollars of my own cash, and lots of time. I might look into it anyway, once I'm there - You can do pilot training on a student visa, if you go to a training school, and then once I've done that, I can get a sponsorship for permanent residency.
  • edited November 2010
    On the topic of IM/Twitter stuff that came up in the episode: I've found Plurk is a working solution for my needs, and I've largely abandoned AIM for it. It's basically a microblogging service where each update you make has a little chat window that updates in real time, so it's easier to spawn a multi-person conversation off of an update than it is on Twitter. Plus it has the logging of conversations that you get with Google Talk or the Facebook wall, so people can leave and rejoin conversations throughout the day without missing anything, like you were saying. Organizing all your friends' updates in a compressed timeline makes it convenient to keep up with too. Very addictive service overall, and I have a lot of fun with it.

The only frustrating thing is that the user interface for Plurk is AAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Oh my god it's so bad! It's buggy as all hell, doesn't scroll through multiple days nearly fast enough, and kinda hard to search. I think it's maintained by some people in China, so support's not great either. The only reason I stick with it is that it's the only thing that seems to cater to the needs of our specific friend group, and the advantages described above outweigh the bugs for us. So, yeah, I really wish someone would make a clone of Plurk, only not ass.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Once my laptop became my primary computer, I no longer had that "always on" messaging service. A few months ago I started using Meebo for the iPhone, though, and really like it. I stay signed on Google Talk and AIM 24/7 through this app, and keep an away message up. If I open the laptop up, it'll take precedence and I'll show up as active and get my IMs there.

It's nice because if people want to IM me while I'm away, it goes right to my phone, and if I'm not busy, I can choose to go active and respond right there, but I can also just ignore it if I'm busy. I don't get enough IMs throughout the day to make it annoying. For the most part it's been all positive since I'm staying in better touch with a few college friends that began to drift away due to infrequent contact. The only issue is that every now and then the app won't realize I'm on the laptop, and will cause the phone to buzz several times during a convo.
  • Just saw on my phone that Meebo was updating to a new version that includes multitasking support. Apparently it's just been using push notifications this whole time. Insane, no wonder it bugged out every now and then.
  • So, yeah, I really wish someone would make a clone of Plurk, only not ass.
    So, yeah. Not to give anything away, but what you described is kind of what I'm working on right now.
  • I want this in my life as soon as possible. Keep us posted. :D
  • Didn't read every post, but here's my take on the whole opt-out protest:
    Everyone involved is being a whiny bitch. There are people out there willing to have bombs strapped to their schwantz in order for a small chance to murder you and everyone you know. Do you want the TSA to stop them? Then shutthefuckup and let them scan you.
    Whine #1: But they might be able to see my naughty bits!
    Response #1: Then submit to the pat down.
    Whine #1a: But then they might touch my naughty bits!
    Response #1a: Then don't fly. No one has a right to fly, and this is how we're protected. Suck it up, pussy.
    Whine #2: My religion prevents me from being scanned or patted down!
    Response #2: Then don't fly. No one has a right to fly, and this is how we're protected. Suck it up, pussy.
    Whine #3: X-rays are dangerous because I fly a bajillion times a year!!
    Response #3: Then submit to the pat down.
    Whine #4: Bawwww my children baawwwww.
    Response #4: Then don't fly. No one has a right to fly, and this is how we're protected. Suck it up, pussy. Also, everyone hates your kids on the plane.
  • Adam, you are so insanely wrong it's laugahble. You need to start reading Bruce Schneier's blog ASAP.

http://www.schneier.com/
  • It's more like "We've implemented a security measure that is way over what we need", people start complaining. If we get rid of this crazy security measure and something does happen we will be blamed by at least 50% of the people who complained for not doing enough for security. That's the fun political situation we are in with this sort of crap.
  • Didn't read every post, but here's my take on the whole opt-out protest:
    Everyone involved is being a whiny bitch. There are people out there willing to have bombs strapped to their schwantz in order for a small chance to murder you and everyone you know. Do you want the TSA to stop them? Then shutthefuckup and let them scan you.
    You're right, there are people out there willing to strap bombs to their junk in order for a small chance to murder you and everyone you know.

They're also willing to swallow explosives to do the same exact thing.

Nothing that the TSA is doing right now can detect that.

And to preempt "No one has or will swallow explosives to blow someone up" it's already happened.

Security theater will not save us. The TSA will not save us.

IF a TSA agent is all that is standing between us and another attack that means the FBI, CIA, NSA, DoD and others have already FAILED.
  • Adam, you are so insanely wrong it's laugahble.
    I would pay extra to fly an airline that skipped most of our current security theater.
  • Adam, you are so insanely wrong it's laugahble.
    I would pay extra to fly an airline that skipped most of our current security theater.
    There is really only two things that have made air travel safer. First is reinforced pilot cabin doors and the second is the fact that passengers know to fight back against any wrongdoers.
  • Also, if you add up all of the combined terrorist attacks against the United States in the last 100 years, I'm pretty sure more people die each month in car accidents. Being afraid of terrorists is like being afraid of lightning or winning the lottery.
  • "Body scans and genital fondlings would save more lives if our Government was paying to have them done in hospitals rather than airports."
  • Being afraid of terrorists is like being afraid of......winning the lottery.
    FTFY
  • If winning the lottery means you win getting beat upon and shot, then yes.
  • If winning the lottery means you win getting beat upon and shot, then yes.
    Boot to the head?
  • The thing is, it is incredibly hard to smuggle explosives into the cabin. If they had a knife, there would be some casualties, but the same basic risk as if they were in a bus, a train, or the corner 7-11. The era of taking a plane over with box cutters will never come again. The body scan does not do much differently than walking through the metal detector, and we still have to take our shoes off.
    Boot to the head?
    I bequeath...
  • edited November 2010
    Actually, the Dogs can pick that up, and they can swab you for explosives and drugs residue.
    The thing is, it is incredibly hard to smuggle explosives into the cabin.
    It's really not. What makes it hardest are the dogs, because it's very, very hard to clean yourself sufficiently to get rid of the trace amounts that can tip the dogs off. But as a bonus, the dogs are pretty adorable.
    Adam, you are so insanely wrong it's laughable. You need to start reading Bruce Schneier's blog ASAP.
    And you need to read what Adam posted - unless you are making the assertion that flying is a right, rather than a choice, or a private business transaction between you and the airline.
    Really? Pop Quiz, Hotshot. You Just swallowed a half-kilo of plastic wrapped plastic explosive. What do you do, Hotshot, WHAT DO YOU DO?

You get a fucking bellyache, and then most likely die from ingesting some pretty severely poisonous stuff, is what you do. Because without a Detonator, you're getting nowhere. And Guess what gets picked up REALLY well by a metal detector? Well, If you guessed "A Detonator" you'd be correct - And even if you just had the Det in there, you'd still need some means to set it off, which increases the metallic content, as you're going to need a power source, and either sensors or a receiver for the detonation signal, plus wires to connect it all.

I'm sorry, everybody, but a bomb is a little more complex than a bowling ball with a string hanging off it. You can Read Schneider's blog, or any other blog on the topic, but that doesn't make you an expert, or even knowledgeable on the subject, because you lack the context and experience to apply said knowledge you have gained.

Frankly, both as a professional and as a private citizen, I'd rather just go through the scanner. I don't give a toss about anyone seeing me naked, and even if I did, the person seeing me naked can't identify me from it, I'm pretty much an identity-less mannequin on a screen. So what if they giggle at my cock? They know not at whose cock they giggle. They're completely removed from me, and they never see my face. Nobody anywhere near me who does see me, will see me naked via the scanners. Not even the pissant TSA Rent-a-cop waving me through the scanner will see it. And if they save the image illegally, then the legal system is going to come down on them like the angry fist of god, and with a little judicious civil action, I likely get a tidy cash bonus. This is all just whiny bullshit to me.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • And you need to read what Adam posted - unless you are making the assertion that flying is a right, rather than a choice, or a private business transaction between you and the airline.
    By the current law, flying is not a right. However, freedom of travel is a right, and I think that having all means of travel reasonably available should be a right. As flight is the only reasonable means of travel to many places on earth, I do think there should be some sort of right to fly.

Also, I think that people who do not fly often should shut up when it comes to flying. Just like people who don't even own a computer should shut up when it comes to issues of technology.