This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Animation Shorts and Features

edited November 2010 in Movies
I looked up to see if a thread like this already exists, but I guess not in this exact form? Shorts or Features, show us the good stuff.

To start, let's talk about this years crop of features, specifically the submissions for Academy Nominations this year. How many have you watched?

[Top Hollywood Studios]
Toy Story 3 (Pixar) - This is probably the top of the list in terms of movies I have my money on getting the nomination.
How to Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks) - A departure from the usual bland Dreamworks fare. Chris Sanders dragon designs FTW!
Tangled (Disney) - Hasn't been released, but it is the next big Disney film to come out. Good or not, we still have to see.

[Indie and Foreign]
Summer Wars - Mamoru Hosoda I LUUUV you. Please get a nom for this facebook/Second Life/Gaia chaos and Crazy Relatives movie!
The Illusionist - Sylvain Chomet's new film, set in Scotland. Looks gorgeous. Want to see.
Idiots and Angels - Bill Plympton's new film. Looks a little different in tone than some of his other works.
My Dog Tulip - Based on a memoir of a lonely man and the dog he rescues.
The Dreams of Jinsha - Chinese anime-ish fantasy - Boy goes to a magic world, adventures ensue.

[The remaining handful of talking animals, comedian vehicles, and franchise randomness.]
Alpha and Omega - Talking wolves.
Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore - Talking cats and dogs.
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole - Talking owls, but pretty.
Megamind - Super Villains + SNL cast
Despicable Me - Super Villains + Little kids
Shrek Forever After - Another one?
Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue - My mom and I wish Tinkerbell was actually gay with that other fairy and that was the plot.

Comments

• I could have sworn there was an animated shorts thread.
  • While Megamind was predictable at almost every turn for and the fact that the commercials spoiled what would have been a great twist in the movie, it's totally worth seeing. It's a feel good film with great moments.

Has anyone noticed how Dreamworks stepped up their game when it comes to storytelling? I used to never like Dreamworks films since Shrek and the 2D ones until recently starting with Kung Fu Panda.

Did anyone else let out a huge sigh when Pixar canceled Newt? I was looking forward to that so much! Rumor is that it was cancelled since other companies were doing something similar. Sorry if I'm being a fangirl, but with that concept I think Pixar would have done it right.

What about Despicable Me? Did anyone see that? It was pretty damn good.
  • Did anyone else let out a huge sigh when Pixar canceled Newt? I was looking forward to that so much! Rumor is that it was cancelled since other companies were doing something similar. Sorry if I'm being a fangirl, but with that concept I think Pixar would have done it right.
    Le sigh, but now we can look forward to Cars 2! >____>

I enjoyed Cars, but it's my least favorite of the Pixar family. Mostly because of Larry The Cable Guy.
  • Did anyone else let out a huge sigh when Pixar canceled Newt? I was looking forward to that so much! Rumor is that it was cancelled since other companies were doing something similar. Sorry if I'm being a fangirl, but with that concept I think Pixar would have done it right.
    Le sigh, but now we can look forward to Cars 2! >____>

I enjoyed Cars, but it's my least favorite of the Pixar family. Mostly because of Larry The Cable Guy.
    I think a lot of folks feel this. It is my least fave as well and last I checked has a 72 fresh rating compared to 90-100 on all the other films. It's a general consensus almost, but it's Lasseter's baby, right? Thus a sequel!
  • Despicable Me - Super Villains + Little kids
    Don't bother - It's horrible, cliche, predictable tripe, and it's not even good while it's there.
  • The Secret of the Kells was absolutely gorgeous.
  • edited November 2010
    The Secret of the Kells was absolutely gorgeous.
    Totally, man. It got the nom last year. I love the flat, graphic art style.
    Oog, totally. I was disappointed in Cars, and I don't know what else could possibly be said with this setting. Come on Pixar, don't be boring!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Oog, totally. I was disappointed in Cars, and I don't know what else could possibly be said with this setting. Come on Pixar, don't be boring!
    $$$$$
  • Yes, obviously. So far they have been keeping the artistic merit while raking in the dough, however.
  • For the record, Alpha and Omega is total shit. If you thought Megamind was predictable, holy crap, at least Megamind is funny and has amazing animation. It's a lot like that movie last year Planet 51. (Which was also crap) Also, I'm not sure what it is with Justin Long and animated movies, but he loves doing them or something.

In terms of Tangled, it looks alright, but I'm hearing it's getting nothing but critical praise for it. It's one of those trailers where I really wanna find out what the movie is going to have in it.
    Despicable Me - Super Villains + Little kids
    Don't bother - It's horrible, cliche, predictable tripe, and it's not even good while it's there.
    I thought Despicable Me was really cute. For any art buff, the art might feel weird with some of the characters, but it was a really charming film. Steve Carrell made it awesome. There's going to be a sequel, there's no avoiding that.
  • In terms of Tangled, it looks alright, but I'm hearing it's getting nothing but critical praise for it. It's one of those trailers where I really wanna find out what the movie is going to have in it.
    The trailers are not doing that movie justice at all. Disney is trying to market it in a way that will make it appealing for boys as well as girls (because Princess and the Frog didn't sell gang-busters like Disney was expecting), so they are downplaying the fact that it is a movie very similar to Princess and the Frog. Raise your hands if you even knew that the movie was a musical!
  • @Loltsundere - That was Rym's thing of the day yesterday. Good short! So bittersweet, though.

@Scott - That one is one of my favorites. Remember me showing it to you guys a long time ago?
  • @Scott - That one is one of my favorites. Remember me showing it to you guys a long time ago?
    No, I saw it on the Internets.
  • No, I showed it to you when you lived at the Geekhaus.

I swear to god, you never pay attention to the media I try to show you. I tried to get you to read Kavalier and Clay way back when, and I try to show you all sorts of animations, but half the time you ignore me and then say "I found it on the internet" later.
  • @Loltsundere - That was Rym's thing of the day yesterday. Good short! So bittersweet, though
    Whoops, well that's what happens when I don't listen to the show for weeks and weeks. :( Didn't I recommend that one to you guys?
  • edited November 2010
    Yup. That's why I watched it and showed it to Rym. Incidentally, I thought you said "The Dog War" and it took me a while to find it because there is no Russian short called that.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • No, I showed it to you when you lived at the Geekhaus.
    I distinctly remember watching it alone on a computer.
  • I swear to god, you never pay attention to the media anyone tries to show you.
  • Raise your hands if you even knew that the movie was a musical!
    Wait what it's a musical?
  • You probably did both. You probably zoned out because I was trying to get you to do something and don't remember.
  • Wait what it's a musical?
    Yep, it's an Alan Menken musical and the music is really good.
  • The english language premiere for Summer Wars is actually this Saturday. 1PM at the Asia Society in NYC. I know most people have already seen/prefer the subtitled version but I might go check it out with the lady. Just heard so many good things.
  • The english language premiere for Summer Wars is actually this Saturday. 1PM at the Asia Society in NYC. I know most people have already seen/prefer the subtitled version but I might go check it out with the lady. Just heard so many good things.
    Unless the dub is awful, it will retain almost all of its awesomeness. If you really want to see the subtitles, get the DVD later.
  • Professional, theatrical dubs are almost universally fine. It's the anime-specific companies that fuck it up.
  • Professional, theatrical dubs are almost universally fine. It's the anime-specific companies that fuck it up.
    Counterexample: Disney Spirited Away.
  • Wait what it's a musical?
    Yep, it's an Alan Menken musical and the music is really good.
    I had my doubts of seeing it based on the Trailers, but you just changed my mind.
    Counterexample: Disney Spirited Away.
    What's wrong with it? I think I've seen Spirited Away more times dubbed than subbed, never had an issue with it.