This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nutrition, Health, & Fitness

Comments

• Sports hurt, but they hurt soooo goood. Run more and you will understand.
    QFT again. I love how painful it is to try to walk up stairs the next day after a good fencing footwork conditioning workout.
    There's a fencing studio near my apartment. I should look into that.
    When I bike, I'm in minor agony the entire time. I'm pushing myself as fast as I can and getting as far as possible as quickly as possible.
    I hate that feeling when running, but I love it when biking. The unholy pain the day after is kind of a menace, though.
  • "To avoid setting a bad example for his kids, Haub ate vegetables in front of his family. Away from the dinner table, he usually unwrapped his meals."

Did anyone else notice this? I wonder how major of a part vegetables were of his diet and how this affected his hunger/weightloss.
    QFT again. I love how painful it is to try to walk up stairs the next day after a good fencing footwork conditioning workout.
    I used to fence dude, I was part of the saber squad on my University's Fencing Club. What is your weapon of choice?
    I used to fence dude, I was part of the saber squad on my University's Fencing Club. What is your weapon of choice?
    Four years of foil, three of epee. Never got a rating in foil, and my D in epee has lapsed. There's no university team where I work now and I can't afford to fence at a private salle, so I'm a couple years out of practice.
  • I hate that feeling when running, but I love it when biking. The unholy pain the day after is kind of a menace, though.
    It's the pain I get in my gut when I first start running that I have a hard time with. It's only if I don't wait long enough after eating or drinking, feels like alien inhabitants, it's a sharp pain in the gut.
    I also don't like huffing for air when I pick up my pace. But I'll say that I had asthma before I started running cross country, after I trained up my lung strength, no more asthma.
  • I ran half a mile without stopping! ^_^
    NICE!!!
    What pace where you running? Hopefully medium or more. `
  • Good for you. Now make it a mile.

Tell me, do you feel better?
  • Tell me, do you feel better?
    My calves still hurt like a son of a bitch. I'm just kinda ignoring it.
  • My calves still hurt like a son of a bitch. I'm just kinda ignoring it.
    That's the worst part about starting to run. It'll stop happening within the next session or two.
  • What pace where you running? Hopefully medium or more.
    What is medium?
  • edited November 2010
    What pace where you running? Hopefully medium or more.
    What is medium?
    I'm just being retarded and making a silly reference to an Adam Sandler song.

But a medium pace would be 8-10 minutes, I would think. 5-7 is pretty fit and pro.

Don't forget to stretch, and bananas just in case.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I'm just being retarded and making a silly reference to an Adam Sandler song.
    I loved that song so much in high school.
  • That's the worst part about starting to run. It'll stop happening within the next session or two.
    Yea the best part is once you bought those muscles up for running they tend to really never give you trouble unless you REALLY press. I can take like 2-4 months off from running and it never really hurts the muscles (just the cardio is weak) If you have a way to do some leg weight training that will definitely help as well.
  • The muscle pain I can ignore, it's my cardio that is limp. Can't seem to breath fast enough to keep up a fast pace for any length of time. It's shocking how out of shape I am, and I usually leave my friends and parents in the dust when we walk somewhere.

I just figured out I can hang on my toes on the first step of the stairs and really strengthen my calves. Quite the work out that.
  • The muscle pain I can ignore, it's my cardio that is limp. Can't seem to breath fast enough to keep up a fast pace for any length of time. It's shocking how out of shape I am, and I usually leave my friends and parents in the dust when we walk somewhere.
    Yea, if you are struggling with cardio slow down more. You want to try and be able to sustain cardio for about 20 minutes but if you are seriously out of breath in a few minutes you are probably going too fast before you are ready or start doing intervals.
  • My lack of physical stamina is out done only by my utter cluelessness about how to improve it.
  • The internets is your friend on this front. You can find tons of info about working out.
  • About two weeks ago I was able to 29 km (18 miles), the weather was still nice. However, after day light saving my training schedule got mess up. By the time I get home it is already pretty dark and I can't run long distances when is dark outside. I was suppose to be able to run those 26 miles by 6th December but I don't think I will be able to do it.
    Instead I have decided to get used to this weather and just run 5 miles every other day and on Sundays I would put on some weights and try to run some miles. Last Sunday I put 5 lb in each foot and 3 in each wrist. I was able to run for 2 miles, I hope increment at least 1/4 of a mile each week.
    I think I am acclimating to this new weather well enough. I was able to run 5 miles in under 43 minutes while it was 42 f outside. I am also thinking on swimming, it has being a long time since I use swimming as part of my training ;P
  • Three quarters of a mile ran! And brisk walking and a little more running.
  • I've decided now that I've settled into my new job I want to get my weight and general fitness back up to what it was when I was playing Lacrosse. To that end I'm trying to put together a weight training routine I'll do every day, keep riding my bike to work, and do at least a fifteen mile ride every other day. We'll see how it goes.
  • Wait, wait. You're trying to put on weight and do a fifteen mile ride every other day? I hope you're also chugging bottles of canola oil or something, because you're only gonna get smaller that way.
  • You're trying toput on weightanddo a fifteen mile ride every other day?
    A fifteen mile bike ride isn't necessarily that taxing.
  • Shit. For some reason I was thinking fifteen mile run.
  • edited November 2010
    A fifteen mile bike ride isn't necessarily that taxing.
    Well, doing lots of cardio actually inhibits muscle growth through weight training. When I say weight training, I'm talking specifically about a weightlifting routine designed to add mass to a person. That sort of routine requires a lot of calories, which your body burns while repairing your muscles. If you do heavy lifting and then bike 15 miles, you burn the calories that your muscles were going to use to add mass.

A 15 mile bike ride might not be taxing, but it will be counter-productive for people looking to add muscle mass.

Of course, that does depend on the relative rate. 15 miles on flat land probably isn't that bad.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Of course, that does depend on the relative rate. 15 miles on flat land probably isn't that bad.
    That's what I was getting at.
  • Well, doing lots of cardio actually inhibits muscle growth through weight training. When I say weight training, I'm talking specifically about a weightlifting routine designed to add mass to a person. That sort of routine requires a lot of calories, which your body burns while repairing your muscles. If you do heavy lifting and then bike 15 miles, you burn the calories that your muscles were going to use to add mass.
    Shows how much I know about working out. If that's the case I'll cut the 15 mile ride down to once a week and just focus on weight training for now.
  • Shows how much I know about working out. If that's the case I'll cut the 15 mile ride down to once a week and just focus on weight training for now.
    The simple formula is that you have to eat more calories than you burn to gain weight. If you're eating a clean diet, it can actually be really difficult to eat enough to calories to put on any significant mass, even without adding a bunch of cardio on top of it. If you're doing serious cardio plus weight-training, without serious eating, you may actually be doing more harm than good, as you break down muscle tissue with the weights, but don't provide your body adequate calories and protein to rebuild it. You can lose muscle mass that way.
  • If you're eating a clean diet, it can actually be really difficult to eat enough to calories to put on any significant mass, even without adding a bunch of cardio on top of it.
    Pfff. Clearly you just don't like eating enough. I exercise hard specifically so I can eat more scratch-made whole wheat peanut butter pancakes et al.