This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nutrition, Health, & Fitness

Comments

• whole wheat peanut butter pancakes
    WANT.

Add bananas to that and I would be as happy as humanly possible.
  • scratch-made whole wheat peanut butter pancakes
    Yum.
  • 1 mile run! Now I'm going a slice of pizza and a beer.
  • I did a 6 mile run in 65 minutes weeee ... then I had a deep fried monto-cristo at the Great American Dinner & Pub Woot!
  • I did a 6 mile run in 65 minutes weeee ... then I had a deep fried monto-cristo at the Great American Dinner & Pub Woot!
    Congrats :D
  • I've been sticking to a steady fitness plan since August, and it's fun seeing my hard work pay off. I broke my 5k record on Halloween, thanks to the fact that I was running 3-5 times a week in the summer, and I made the switch to only running in my vibram fivefingers. I've also been doing Judo and Jujitsu 2-3 times a week and I had my first tournament last Saturday. I put up a few good fights, but I ended up losing all of my matches, and it was awesome. I'm going to stick to my training schedule for next semester, but I need to start weightlifting to really improve.
  • My gym is going to relocate right next to a Price Chopper and expand to twice it's current size. Then, they may be putting a Whole Food in a shopping center right next across the street. Hello easy access to diet and fitness!
  • Hello easy access to dietquackery and right wing CEOs and fitness!
  • edited November 2010
    I just ran 6 miles in 49 minutes and it felt good! :P
    I am thinking that 6 miles is my new 5 miles :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Hello easy access todietquackery and right wing CEOs and fitness!
    Maybe, but there is still quality food there, as long as you can afford it.
  • Maybe, but there is still quality food there, as long as you can afford it.
    Organic bullshit or not, but they have some of the highest quality produce/meats/fish selections there.
  • I'm eating a lot less now than I used to be, particularly from the fact that I work ten hours a night and basically sleep all day (which probably isn't helping) but I feel like I haven't lost any weight. I want to though, because I want to join the National Guard and they have pretty strict health regulations.
  • I want to though, because I want to join the National Guard and they have pretty strict health regulations.
    Don't worry, the army has their own weight loss program, it's called basic training :) I wighted 240 pounds when I went to basic, about 4 months later after I finished basic and AIT, I was 185 pounds. Now that was quite a few years ago, but I doubt basic has changed that much. I'm sure they still PT the shit out of you, I remember we ran almost everywhere we went. No telling how many miles we ran a day.
  • I want to though, because I want to join the National Guard and they have pretty strict health regulations.
    Don't worry, the army has their own weight loss program, it's called basic training :) I wighted 240 pounds when I went to basic, about 4 months later after I finished basic and AIT, I was 185 pounds. Now that was quite a few years ago, but I doubt basic has changed that much. I'm sure they still PT the shit out of you, I remember we ran almost everywhere we went. No telling how many miles we ran a day.
    Let's say, hypothetically speaking, that someone who was incapable of doing a single push-up went into basic training. How would that work out? Would they reject them from the very beginning? Would they make them sit there all day until they could do it?
  • Let's say, hypothetically speaking, that someone who was incapable of doing a single push-up went into basic training. How would that work out? Would they reject them from the very beginning? Would they make them sit there all day until they could do it?
    You have to be at a certain level of fitness before they will let you in. So they would probably work with you to help get you in shape.
  • edited November 2010
    So they would probably work with you to help get you in shape.
    So there's an optional training place that is prior to basic training for people who really suck? Remedial basic training?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • So there's an optional training place that is prior to basic training for people who really suck? Remedial basic training?
    You have to pass a PT test before you can sign your enlistment papers.
  • You have to pass a PT test before you can sign your enlistment papers.
    The changed since I enlisted then. I know there was a weight limit when I joined, just don't know what it was. But it's been quite a few years since I was in basic, mush less the Army or National Guard. I seems like they was also some kind of as Scott said remedial training if you couldn't meet a certain standard. But honestly, you would be surprised what your body can do and withstand when you are 18-21, you just recover faster. Plus the Drill Sergeants were pretty good "motivating" you into doing what they wanted you to do.
  • edited November 2010
    I did a 6 mile run in 65 minutes weeee ... then I had a deep fried monto-cristo at the Great American Dinner & Pub Woot!
    6 miles in 62 minutes... shaved 3 minutes off my time. Just in time for thanksgiving feasting ^_^
    Post edited by Cremlian on
    6 miles in 62 minutes... shaved 3 minutes off my time. Just in time for thanksgiving feasting ^_^
    Awesome, awesome to the max!
  • So, two weeks ago today I twisted my left knee, which I had injured at 12 years old playing soccer (I turned 40 in October). MRI shows onset osteoarthritis underneath the left kneecap. Thankfully, no surgery will be required at this point, but every few weeks it will be monitored for fluid buildup and possible injections. I have considered taking up Tai Chi to help regain some strength and movement in my left knee and entire body. Unfortunately, there are no classes in the area (closest one is a 1.5 hour drive away and conflicts with my work schedule). Any advice on getting an instructional DVD to possibly use instead?
  • I'm trying something new with my diet. I've started to eat a 6inch sub at lunch and something small, normally the other 1/2 of a sub, 3 hours later. I added breakfast* to my routine a few weeks ago, but I've yet to see any real change. Dinner is still a pain in the ass for me. I eat at 8PM normally but don't go to bed till midnight or later.

breakfast*: Boiled egg, slice of toast w/ butter, 4oz milk
  • I'm trying something new with my diet. I've started to eat a 6inch sub at lunch and something small, normally the other 1/2 of a sub, 3 hours later. I added breakfast* to my routine a few weeks ago, but I've yet to see any real change. Dinner is still a pain in the ass for me. I eat at 8PM normally but don't go to bed till midnight or later.

breakfast*: Boiled egg, slice of toast w/ butter, 4oz milk
    You're still eating a lot more than you think. It's surprisingly difficult to eat small amounts of food in America. It's avoid the egg with breakfast (eggs are bad news in many ways if you wanna be healthy) and have the other half of the 6 inch sub for dinner and have something smaller for your post lunch snack.
  • (eggs are bad news in many ways if you wanna be healthy)
    Whhhaaa depends which day of the week it is.
  • (eggs are bad news in many ways if you wanna be healthy)
    Only if cholesterol is of particular concern to you. Eggs are one of the most nutritious foods on the planet.
  • Only if cholesterol is of particular concern to you. Eggs are one of the most nutritious foods on the planet.
    Oh right, not everyone has my broken body.
  • edited November 2010
    I've recently drifted away from it (damn Dinosaur), but I try to eat a light, carb-restricted dinner. Lean protein and vegetables, and that's it. Like, a 6 or 8 oz chicken breast (or fish or lean beef), and a couple of cups of steamed veggies. I try to avoid late dinners as well. That's helped me to get better sleep and more energy in the morning.

I usually eat a larger lunch - around 1,000 calories between 10:30 AM and 2:30 PM. I try to stagger the intake so that I'm eating every couple of hours during my most active phase.

I do need to get that discipline back, though. Stupid endless appetite.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I've been trying to hit well under 2000 everyday like our twinkie man.
  • Eggs and milk are amazing sources of easy protein. Cholesterol be damned! They're also hard boiled with a bit of pepper and hot sauce. Not fried in bacon fat.

I'm not trying to significantly decrease my weight. Maybe back down to 200 but not below 190. My body is happy at this weight, and I'm happy with it. BMI be damned!! WyWy BMI = 28

I'm trying to figure out where it came from. I've been eating the same for months but recently increased my leg workout. More diligent about doing squats and the like. I'm pretty sure it's added muscle mass. CURSES!!! Why must all these muscles be so damn dense?!?!