This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The GeekNights Store Thread

RymRym
edited November 2010 in GeekNights
Any questions, concerns, issues, or commentary about the GeekNights store can be made here rather than all over other threads.

We've just shipped our first orders, and everything seems to be working as expected. Shipping was overcharged by a little over a dollar, so I have to investigate that. We also seem unable to accept orders in non-US currencies: I'm working on that as well.

Sizes larger than XL will only be made available if demand grows for them. The posters will be re-printed and made available soon. Two more shirt designs are on the way, plus a restock of small "Get Off My Internets" shirts.

Comments

• Shirt Designs, Shirt Designs...I expect to get a delicious dinner out of this, you know.
  • I expect to get a delicious dinner out of this, you know.
    Well, that, and cash. Plus all the credit. ^_~
  • We also seem unable to accept orders in non-US currencies: I'm working on that as well.
    I know the decision not to use Paypal was probably very deliberate, but this is something that Paypal does very well.
  • We also seem unable to accept orders in non-US currencies: I'm working on that as well.
    I know the decision not to use Paypal was probably very deliberate, but this is something that Paypal does very well.
  • I know the decision not to use Paypal was probably very deliberate, but this is something that Paypal does very well.
    I refuse to use Paypal. ;^)

That aside, it may be a limitation of the way my merchant account is set up. I have to look into it.
  • There's also Amazon's payment service, but I'm not sure how much of a cut they take.
  • There's also Amazon's payment service, but I'm not sure how much of a cut they take.
    I'm well aware. Google is a temporary solution until such a time as order volume justifies something more robust.
  • Would you send one to Brazil? How much is shipping to here? More precisely Brasilia, Destrito Federal.
  • Would you send one to Brazil? How much is shipping to here? More precisely Brasilia, Destrito Federal.
    I have to see. Patience. ;^)
    The cut is not the issue. We very much wanted to use Amazon's payment service. The only problem is that it would require software development on my part. Google Checkout and PayPal are the only drop-in solutions. I planet to work on an Amazon solution eventually. It seems to be working very well for KickStarter.
  • I've added two new shipping methods:

USPS - US and Canada
    International

The former will replace the original USPS lookup, since it overcharges by about a dollar for some reason. The latter should work for just about any other country.
  • edited November 2010
    I've added two new shipping methods:

USPS - US and Canada
    International

The former will replace the original USPS lookup, since it overcharges by about a dollar for some reason. The latter should work for just about any other country.
    Sorry but not yet. Here is what I got:
    Front Row Crew does not ship to this address via Google Checkout
    You do not currently have any valid shipping methods.

BRUNO SA GUIMARAES
    -
    Change
    SQS 109 BLOCO E APT 212
    Brasilia, DF 70372-050
    Brazil

On another note, you should explain somewhere that, it is the buyers responsibility to pay for any importation or extra tax charged by the buyers country, I know that, but some people might not.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • I do understand the rationale of not having larger sizes (fat tax as they call it) however it would be nice to have the option for it for reasonable sizes (4X being the absolute maximum) I be willing to spend the additional cash to get it, use to it with other clothes by now. Just some food for thought.
  • however it would be nice to have the option for it for reasonable sizes (4X being the absolute maximum) I be willing to spend the additional cash to get it, use to it with other clothes by now. Just some food for thought.
    Any size larger than XL has to be ordered specially and separately from the company we use. It would be a substantial cost for us to have screens made, and we'd have to order a minimum number of them.

We could take pre-orders. If we hit a certain number of them, then we could put in an order.
  • Why in the world wouldn't you use Paypal? Is there something inherently wrong with it that causes you to make such a decision?
  • Why in the world wouldn't you use Paypal? Is there something inherently wrong with it that causes you to make such a decision?
    Paypal is untrustworthy.
    Paypal is untrustworthy.
    In general? Or in more specific cases like with Notch's withheld Minecraft millions?
  • In general they're not too bad, but why use them when the alternatives are better?
  • I've added two new shipping methods:

USPS - US and Canada
    International

Doesn't work for Austria.

Google checkout keeps telling me:
    "Front Row Crew (Brandon DeCoster) does not ship to this address via Google Checkout
    You do not currently have any valid shipping methods."

Shipping and Handling dropdown menu is grayed out and I cannot choose any Location but United States.
  • Shipping and Handling dropdown menu is grayed out and I cannot choose any Location but United States.
    There's something else I can try. I'll take a look.
  • Came home from work today and checked the mail and my Shirt was in the Mailbox.
  • Came home from work today and checked the mail and my Shirt was in the Mailbox.
    Magic.
  • What other kinds of designs/kinds of swag do you think will grace the store in the future?
  • What other kinds of designs/kinds of swag do you think will grace the store in the future?
    Three kinds.
    Three kinds.
    Plus a re-do of the poster. Just working out the colors and print details.
  • I'll try and get the first design out this weekend for your perusal.
  • I'll try and get the first design out this weekend for your perusal.
    <3!