This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• I watched an episode of CSI: Miami with my sister and that show is painful to watch if you're used to mystery shows where they let you think about things before revealing the answer.
  • I think Mad Men is now going to be on my list. I ordered all three seasons off of Amazon for a grand total of 30 dollars. (Yay for Sales)
  • RymRym
    edited November 2010
    I finally watched an episode of Bones. Meh. Overacted, cheesy dialog, ludicrous "science," unengaging stereotypical characters, and nothing new at all to bring to the table. How is this popular over every other show that's basically the same tripe?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I finally watched an episode ofBones. Meh. Overacted, cheesy dialog, ludicrous "science," unengaging stereotypical characters, and nothing new at all to bring to the table. How is this popular over every other show that's basically the same tripe?
    It's called procedurals. People like those types of shows where they can always expect a certain plot and expectation. Only time I can take a show like that is when I am playing some game and just want some noise in the background. A better show is Fringe, and while I haven't watched it I've heard Castle is pretty good and it stars Nathan Fillion.
  • I saw a Bones panel (because my uncle is a fan) at Comic-Con a couple year ago, and David Boreanaz was clearly coked out of his mind.
  • edited November 2010
    My Hulu subscription list:
    Outsourced (just started watching and loving it)
    Community (saw one episode at anime club, pretty funny so I'm giving it a go)
    House
    Castle
    Human Target
    Psyche
    Chuck
    Futurama
    No Ordinary Family (haven't watched yet, but the commercials looked interesting)

DVR:
    Mythbusters
    Topgear

I've also been watching Beakman's World with my little brother on netflix.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • It's called procedurals.
    I'm well aware. I've seen good ones. Bones just didn't bring anything new to the table. It was painfully generic.

I also note that half of GitS:SAC was procedural police drama, yet it was actually good.
  • It's called procedurals.
    I'm well aware. I've seen good ones.Bonesjust didn't bring anything new to the table. It was painfully generic.
    Did you watch this on TV or Netflix? I've watched quite a bit of it, and while some episodes are just as you described, the interesting ones are the ones that either put the characters themselves in moral danger or that are more comedic. It is standard, but I wouldn't call it generic, it's just fun. Eventually, the two main characters have a sort of strong friendship that culminated in the crappy shitty last two seasons. However, like Law and Order, you don't have to watch the bad episodes.

P.S. The new season is crap.
  • However, like Law and Order, you don't have to watch the bad episodes.
    Then I imagine I've watched the entire show (minus the bad episodes). ;^)

My beef primarily is that the show was talked up, and yet the first episode was pablum. Who would bother watching beyond that? Even if it's a Gao Gai Gar situation, it's not worth it to find out.
  • I think that the fandom comes from people watching the middle episodes (again, because of the low barrier to entry). There's an episode where the two main characters engage in a gunfight against criminals who may or may not have been dressed up as clowns. Also, they were dressed up as Wonder Woman and a nerd while attempting to resque a hostage from a Indiana Jones approved room who's floor is covered with snakes. That's the Halloween episode.
  • Also, they were dressed up as Wonder Woman and a nerd while attempting to resque a hostage from a Indiana Jones approved room who's floor is covered with snakes. That's the Halloween episode.
    So, the show gets even less realistic? At least in the beginning, it appeared to be a pseudo-realistic forensic crime style show. It sounds like it goes way over the edge into craptasm.
  • The forensics remeains reletively scientific insofar as I can tell. But there are times that the writers clearly wanted to just get crazy and let their geek hang out. They also get serious as well. There's also an episode where Brennen is buried in a car in an undesclosed location with one of her assistants and the plot goes back and forth between being inside the car and trying to use their scientist skills to survive and the non-buried people trying to find where they are. Also, are you telling me that Emily Deschanel dressed as Wonder Woman and an FBI agent dressed up as a nerd engaging in a gunfight with criminals while saving a hostage (Yadda Yadda Yadda) = craptasm? I severly disagree. (I should note that you're kind of not supposed to take it seriously.)
  • I'm interested in law and order UK. It looks like more of a comedy than a drama if the commercials on BBC america are any indication.
  • The forensics remeains reletively scientific insofar as I can tell.
    The first episode has magic holograms that can perfectly re-enact a fight from a SKELETON!
    my fiance the master in forensic science can't watch the show without shouting at the screen at almost every crime show including bones.
  • For a standard, Discovery used to run documentarys where they'd go over old cases.
    The first episode has magic holograms that can perfectly re-enact a fight from a SKELETON!
    ... Yeah, I have this amazing ability to discount things like "realism" in a movie or TV show. I watched The Rock recently and didn't bat an eye at the facemelting poison or the fact that Nicholas Cage is immune to explosions. So long as it's explained even in the slightest terms (i.e. a computer/wizard/monster/the government did it) I'm okay. I should note that I'm only arguing that Bones is standard yet amusing. It is not a coincidence that as I stopped living with my sister at home I stopped watching it.
  • edited November 2010
    The forensics remeains reletively scientific insofar as I can tell.
    my fiance the master in forensic science can't watch the show without shouting at the screen at almost every crime show including bones.
    I'm sure many of us are the same way with our respective scientific specialties. I'm that way with computers in shows. YOU CAN'T INSTANTLY DECRYPT AN ENCRYPTED DATA STREAM. NOT 128 BIT, NOT 256 BIT, AND CERTAINLY NOT 1024 BIT. FBI OR NO FBI IT CAN'T BE DONE WITHOUT THE PSK! GAH!

The one show that seems to have actually hired technical consultants is Numb3rs. In one episode, they very correctly described how TOR works.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Every time they run a two-day DNA test in a procedural, I want to rip out the science advisor's throat.
  • Every time they run a two-day DNA test in a procedural, I want to rip out the science advisor's throat.
    Two days? Sometimes they get it done in hours.
  • Watching through GitS on Adult Swim
  • My life is being devoured by:

Sherlock
    The Walking Dead
    Sanctuary
  • I've been going through The X-Files. I'm on season 4. Episode 2: Home, the one about the inbred family where they breed with their mother, who is limbless and kept underneath a bed, still creeps me out to this day. *shudders*
  • I have watched the Community Christmas special four times already, it is that good!

• I just started watching Community, and it is pretty damn funny. Also, no laugh track, which seems to be a trend in NBC sitcoms and it is definitely a good trend.
  • I do love Community. Much better than Big Bang Theory, though that isn't hard.
  • RE: Forensics in TV shows:

While I do have a problem with the blatant lack of realism in the portrayal of lab science, I do appreciate the effort that goes into making the science "sexy." If done properly, it can help engender in the unwashed masses the respect that science actually deserves.

To quote Scott Johnson, in reference to Rym's tendency to grossly exaggerate stories involving the FRC: "That's not how it happened, but I like your version more."
  • edited December 2010
    A ridiculous number of people have recommended Big Bang Theory to me but I've always been extremely skeptical. Am I wise to be avoiding this show completely or am I missing out on something?
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited December 2010
    Am I wise to be avoiding this show completely or am I missing out on something?
    It has funny moments, but at least for me, the laugh track completely kills it.

EDIT: Community is way, way better.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • A ridiculous number of people have recommended Big Band Theory to me but I've always been extremely skeptical. Am I wise to be avoiding this show completely or am I missing out on something?
    It's good, but the first couple eps the characters are very cardboard. They will grow on you and hopefully you can tune out the laugh track.. Why dvd's don't have a way to remove the laugh track is beyond me......

Community is awesome in the same way Arrested Development is awesome.