This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What the hell is Web 2.0 anyway?

edited April 2007 in Everything Else
People talk about Web 2.0 and I don't get it. Doesn't the internet move to fast for there to be adequately defined 'versions'? Is it here? Is is coming? Should I care? I just don't understand.

Comments

• I saw an article in the paper the other day about how Web 2.0 was going to destroy the world (well, more the political/cultural environment - "destroy" rather than "change", as if it's a terrible terrible thing). :| Needless to say, the article wasn't especially well thought out.
  • The Wikipedia can answer this question.
  • The Wikipediacan answer this question.
    Yeah I read the Wiki, still don't get it.
  • It's primarily about websites where users create the content. Youtube, Myspace, Livejournal, stuff like that. There's other factors to Web 2.0, but that's the one that's most often mentioned.
  • Web 1.0: Here is a web page. Look at it. Click on things. Buy my crap.

Web 2.0: Here's an empty site with an innovative design and interface. It's a blank canvas. Fill it with all the crap you want people to see: Your videos, your pictures, your opinions.
  • Web 1.0 is where you try to make money off of your work.

Web 2.0 is where you bamboozle people into creating the content for you and then make money off of their work.
  • If you "get" Digg, Flickr, Twitter, and stuff like that, you "get" Web 2.0.

I'm not a Web 2.0 junkie, but I like the direction the web is taking, and the pseudo-standards for i that are being applied by the mass consciousness that is the internet community.

I don't like the insistence on standard technologies which fail to meet their basic goals. I was a CSS Nazi for a long time, and I continue to format things in XHTML out of pure habit, but I learned, through extensive professional experience, the truth about web technologies. XHTML is a useless standard unless you're actually processing XML; CSS, when used to completely replace all "old" methods of web site layout, is nothing but a long-winded approach to duplicating things that are much easier to do with simpler methods; and AJAX, well...as someone who's been using the technology for years, it's great, but slightly overrated.

The greatness of Web 2.0 is the application of its principles. Digg is all about functionality, and less about showing off their latest cool web tech. I respect that. I can't respect the web-designer-cum-evangelists that harp about technical standards; they miss the point of Web 2.0.
  • Don't confuse Web 2.0 with Internet 2. Internet 2 (technically called something else, but don't bother worrying about that) is a superfast semi-private network that we had access to back at RIT. The stupid amounts of bandwitdh available on it are used almost exclusively for software and media piracy by college students.

I would pay a fairly substantial amount to still have access to it.