This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Con Artistry Advice

edited December 2010 in Everything Else
'Ere ya go Churbs.

Comments

• Wow, you conned me into reading this useless thread.
  • Actually, it's a thread for discussing art at conventions.
  • Wow, you conned me into reading this useless thread.
    Already one Success. Good work, young man.
  • edited December 2010
    Churba, have you ever tried the short count grift?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • For only ten dollars I shall sell you this hale and hearty bean counter card which shall entitle you to ten ultra-rare cocoa beans.
  • edited December 2010
    Never for real that I'd admit to in public, though I've demonstrated it few times in the US using the bill-swap method, and I'd occasionally do a friendly demonstration of the double change in English pubs, which is especially effective on heavy nights. It's not one I'm fond of, though - A glim-dropper is much more elegant, in my opinion, since it plays on the mark's greed.

Randomly, one of the things I was warned about for a big antiques fair in the Midlands that I sold at, was that Pikeys were fond of not only the usual rigged dice games, but also a slight Variant of the old badger game. A very pretty young woman(or women) will befriend you and Hit on you entirely seriously, you take them back to yours, or go back to theirs, screw like rabbits, and in the morning, you have her family knocking on your door, seeming very angry for sleeping with their under-age sister/cousin/auntie/grandma whatever, and demand a few hundred pounds or they will kick the shit out of you and go to the police, and accuse you of being a fuckin' rock spider.

Also, I'm moderately proud - I taught a group of Pikeys travelling through the Midlands to play Two-Up.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Here's a like to Scam School, where you can learn some cons, scams, and tricks.
  • edited December 2010
    Never for real that I'd admit to in public, though I've demonstrated it few times in the US using the bill-swap method, and I'd occasionally do a friendly demonstration of the double change in English pubs, which is especially effective on heavy nights. It's not one I'm fond of, though - A glim-dropper is much more elegant, in my opinion, since it plays on the mark's greed.

Randomly, one of the things I was warned about for a big antiques fair in the Midlands that I sold at, was that Pikeys were fond of not only the usual rigged dice games, but also a slight Variant of the old badger game. A very pretty young woman(or women) will befriend you and Hit on you entirely seriously, you take them back to yours, or go back to theirs, screw like rabbits, and in the morning, you have her family knocking on your door, seeming very angry for sleeping with their under-age sister/cousin/auntie/grandma whatever, and demand a few hundred pounds or they will kick the shit out of you and go to the police, and accuse you of being a fuckin' rock spider.

Also, I'm moderately proud - I taught a group of Pikeys travelling through the Midlands to play Two-Up.
    OMG, this sooooooooo feels like the start of a heist movie . . .

Churb will be the Face/Demolitions Expert. I can be the Old Guy with the connections and the outrageous plan. Sonic can be Muscle. George can be the Vehicles Dude. Ro can be the Chick. Pete can be Medic/Muscle. Andrew can be Weapons/Computer Guy, and Jason can be the Patsy we'll frame and leave holding the bag.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Jason can be the Patsy
    B'wahahaha XD.
  • edited December 2010
    Sonic can be Muscle.
    B'wahahaha XD.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited December 2010
    OMG, this sooooooooo feels like the start of a heist movie . . .
    Considering the varied personalities we have here on the forums, we could make a not-objectively-horrible geeky heist movie. Failing that, a Heist comedy.
    Here's a like toScam School, where you can learn some cons, scams, and tricks.
    Also quite good - The Geek Mafia series by Rick Dakan(Geek Mafia, Geek Mafia: Mile Zero and Geek Mafia: Black Hat Blues) are some pretty good heist books. The first shows off some pretty good short cons, the Second showing long-cons more suited to con artists operating from a central base of operations(in this case, Key West, Florida), and in Black Hat blues, it goes over to the Outwit-and-outcon style of heist story, where they visit a Defcon-alike convention, and try to pull various scams over on attendees.

Also, Leverage is a decent enough show to watch, but I'm only 50/50 on it - sometimes, it's a bit poorly written, and feels thrown together, sometimes with the marks carrying the idiot ball at convenient times just so that the con can continue to completion whereas any person who is as intelligent as the mark is portrayed in the rest of the episode would notice, and the whole con would fail. That, and most of the time, they rely on one con, and if it fails, they have to immediately drop to defcon one and scramble to recover, when anyone as competent as they are portrayed would have backup plans in place.
    Post edited by Churba on