This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Electronic Music

edited May 2009 in Everything Else
We're having some serious music discussion around these parts, as Scott pointed out in a different thread, but electronic music is going unaddressed. Being one of the geekiest of all types of music (chiptunes?), I think it deserves a thread. Let's discuss some artists, albums, mixes, anything. If it's a genre Ishkur's Guide covers, it's fair game. And now, a cool eighteen minute documentary on the Amen break, the core of tons of today's music, electronic and otherwise.

5SaFTm2bcac

Comments

• I am so in love with Pogo right now, you have no idea. He's also one of the only good examples of trip-hop that I've come across.
  • Personally, I tend to enjoy electronic music that makes heavy use of sampling as opposed to synthesizers. I don't like most electronic dance music, for instance, but I absolutely love things like Venetian Snares and El-Ps more recent production work. The sort of music that does things with instruments and sounds that can only be done electronically. One sort that I am particularly enamored with uses samples (often of the Amen Break) to make rapid-fire, almost discordant breakbeats that border on noise music. The main artists I have in mind are (in order from least to most noisy) Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, and Venetian Snares.

As an exception to my opinion on synthesized music, I absolutely love Chiptunes and Bitpop. My favorite artist in that category is Multifaros; a Swedish kid who makes all sorts of awesome Bitpop/Chiptune songs. Best of all, many of his albums are free. I recommend We Are Giants.

There's also 50 Hertz, which often falls into the category of Bitpop, and is definitely electronic.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
  • Personally, I tend to enjoy electronic music that makes heavy use of sampling as opposed to synthesizers.
    This.
  • Gunter, I suggest you download Since I Left You by The Avalanches. Australian group of DJs, make their music in a DJ Shadow type of sample-based way. It's really fun music.
  • edited May 2009
    Squarepusher is awesome. "E8 Boogie" is probably the funkiest thing someone could ever record. It's like Victor Wooten on methamphetamine.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Beatport is a very good music store for electronic/dance music. They have reasonably long preview samples and offer both mp3, m4a and WAV downloads.
  • I recommend Daft Punk's "Discovery" album. Many people say "Homework" is better, but the only track I like on that one is "Around the World".
  • I'm all about ambient/trance

Chiptunes are good too
  • Chiptunes are good too
    Yes, yes, and now for something hyperactive.
  • Promotion of a former friend:
    Dan Black
  • Pogo's newest track/video is quite possibly the greatest thing he has created. For some reason, everything he touches turns to gold.
  • I will tear this place up with some good electronic stuff once I get home.
  • edited December 2010
    Let me help you with that, Sail. Altough, unlike a lot of you guys, I prefer synth based music, but I guess it's different strokes for different folks...

Now for some heavier shit.

Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • When it comes to electronic type music I prefer the more chill out stuff.

• edited December 2010
    The only electronic music I've ever been super into is a few industrial bands.

Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Some of this may not be Electronic, but I think it's close enough.

• There's a lot I want to post, but I want people to actually listen to it instead of just skimming over the videos, so I'm going to restrict myself to just a few at a time so that I can talk about each one.

Air is one of my new favorites. This video has the first three tracks of the absolutely gorgeous score they did for the movie Virgin Suicides, which I've never seen, but this album stands alone extremely well. It's a blend of ambient electronic with elements of funk and trip-hop. The first track, while still great, isn't representative of their work. It's a collaboration between Air and one of the guys from Phoenix. If you want to get right into it, skip to about the 3:30.

Baths is a completely new artist that sprung up this year and has gained a lot of attention in an extremely short amount of time. His music features a really creative approach to blending traditional rock instruments with a very danceable electronic sound.

• edited December 2010
    This is kinda Dubstep, but it's soooo good. This is Bassnectar. I think the music speaks for itself. Start about 1 minute in for the good stuff.

Also Sail, thanks for the Baths, hadn't heard of him before.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • @Sail great find on the artist Baths. I love it.
  • New Simian Mobile Disco is the business.

• edited December 2010
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Yello are the most creative electronic band, ever. Prepare yourself for something truly unconventional. And also very silly.

Also, a mashup artist calling himself Kids & Explosions just released a debut that is very, very good. Quite reminiscent of what Girl Talk did with his Unstoppable album, minus the breakbeats. It's available for pay-what-you-want on his site.

This is kinda Dubstep, but it's soooo good. This is Bassnectar. I think the music speaks for itself. Start about 1 minute in for the good stuff.
    I saw him play about a month back, dude's got a hell of a lot of hair. And you're crazy, that intro is one of the sickest parts of that song. If you ignore that super cheesy drum buildup before the first beat drop.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited December 2010
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Yello are the most creative electronic band, ever. Prepare yourself for something truly unconventional. And also very silly.
    I am exploring their work, and it seems like they did everything interesting that's happening now before anyone had even named it. House. Fidget. Plunderphonics. Breaks.

Awesome.
    I saw him play about a month back, dude's got a hell of a lot of hair. And you're crazy, that intro is one of the sickest parts of that song. If you ignore that super cheesy drum buildup before the first beat drop.
    Goddamnit, Bassnectar is so good. He comes here yearly and has a huge show on campus.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I find electronic music has the ability to really get you in the mood. And there is so much you can do with it, you can mix it, you can add pretty much any other music genre inside it. It can relax you, nice slow loungey type of house music. Or it can be really up-beat and make you hyper in a club. I think the power of the electronic music should not be overlooked.

It’s the future folks. Instruments will all become obsolete soon!! Muhahaha ;-)
  • And then synthesizers will be obsolete in 20 years ;)
  • Saw these guys open for Bassnectar. True to their band name, one of them was using a Power Glove as a MIDI controller.

• edited December 2010
    These guys are synthrock and mostly the type of electronic stuff I listen too along with what Funfetus posted. Red This Ever

Them too:
    Post edited by Viga on

• I first found out about these guys from a friend who sent me a link to a montage snowboarding video. I've been listening to their stuff ever since then.
  • So I noticed a strange lack of Holy Fuck. We need to fix that.
  • edited January 2011
    "Witch h▲us" is a fairly recently developed genre consisting of busy drum machines coupled with layers of synthesized shoegazey distortion and vocals, and it's pretty excellent.

Post edited by Sail on