This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tribes 2 Tuesdays

edited June 2010 in Video Games
Now that I've found a decent Katabatic server, thought we could get some Tribes 2 on.

1) Download Tribes 2 (Direct / Torrent 539MB.) and TribesNext (Direct 2MB.)
2) Install Tribes 2 and then TribesNext.
3) Wait for Tuesday night (If you're busy, we can work around that.).
4) Join us on "# Rebels 2" for some jetpack on jetpack action.

Note for Vista/7 users: You have to run TribesNext as administrator (Also possibly in XP SP2 compatibility mode.).

Read the Tribes2Wiki to get up to speed and here's a video to get you started.
obGSbyhYFeM

Comments

• I've always wondered what all the fuss was about, since I missed Tribes 2 when it was big. This seems like a great opportunity to try it out.

I believe I remember Scott complaining about the patches ruining the game. Does this TribesNext thing take care of that?
  • TribesNext doesn't but the Rebels server seems to be running some mod which counteracts the slowing. While it's non-standard, it's worth it to have standard maps.
  • Tribes 2sdays?
  • Tribes 2sdays?
    I thought of that but it didn't sit quite right right. Tribes Twosdays?
  • I got it working and god damn now I finally see the true potential of this game, I lost a day of exam preparation just on the tutorial and practicing some skiing.
  • edited June 2010
    Tonight's the night.
    If you go over to the Chat tab (Button at the bottom near the Online part.) and then find "Channels" button in the top right, you can join the Geeknights chat channel.
    I'm also around on Skype most of the time. Username: "Omnutia".

Anyone else going to be in attendance?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Tonight's the night.
    If you go over to the Chat tab (Button at the bottom near the Online part.) and then find "Channels" button in the top right, you can join the Geeknights chat channel.
    I'm also around on Skype most of the time. Username: "Omnutia".
    WARGH. Tribes 2 - still doesn't work on my computer.
  • What's the error code/symptoms?
    The Error code is none, because it doesn't give me one, and the symptoms are that it boots into the game, and as soon as I try to play a game, It unceremoniously drops me back into windows. The only thing I get is a windows message saying "An unknown error occurred."
  • You ran it as admin? Try changing the compatibility settings in properties.
  • You ran it as admin? Try changing the compatibility settings in properties.
    Yes, of course I am. I did actually read your post as to where to get the Tribesnext install.
  • Try disabling desktop composition. It's in the same menu.
  • Try disabling desktop composition. It's in the same menu.
    Already did, No effect.
    The Error code is none, because it doesn't give me one, and the symptoms are that it boots into the game, and as soon as I try to play a game, It unceremoniously drops me back into windows. The only thing I get is a windows message saying "An unknown error occurred."
    Define "boots into the game, and as soon as I try to play a game" please. Did you manage to create account and log in? Can you go to setting and change video driver?
  • edited June 2010
    Define "boots into the game, and as soon as I try to play a game" please. Did you manage to create account and log in? Can you go to setting and change video driver?
    As soon as I start to play an actually flying-about-and-shooting-people game of tribes - Ie, I get beyond the menus, crashes out. Ditto that if I try to play locally.

Haven't tried to change the video driver, because I only have a generic intel onboard in my 4 year old laptop, thus making it pointless. Then, I tried, and it crashed when it tried to change the video settings.

Edit - and good luck getting support for this laptop, which NEC denies even exists. They've even denied it on the phone, when I've called them about it before.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Just making sure on some things.

By video driver, I meant the setting in tribes 2 which is(afaik) either OpenGL or D3D. Try the other one. Also, try in windowed mode.

Can you give a screenshot of the "An unknown error occurred." window, just so I can stop doubting if it's an "Unhandled Exception" error?
  • edited June 2010
    Just making sure on some things.

By video driver, I meant the setting in tribes 2 which is(afaik) either OpenGL or D3D. Try the other one. Also, try in windowed mode.

Can you give a screenshot of the "An unknown error occurred." window, just so I can stop doubting if it's an "Unhandled Exception" error?
    Did both of those, and if it was an unhanded exception error, I'd actually say that, because I do actually read error messages, because I'm not an idiot. Also, tested Both driver options - both produce the same error.

Fuck it, I only have decent internet for another few days, then I'm back to Australia, so I just can't be arsed with it anymore. It's simply not worth the effort.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Did both of those, and if it was an unhanded exception error
    Tribes was buggy as shit even at its peak. I'm not confident that you'll be able to get it to work.
  • Tribes was buggy as shit even at its peak. I'm not confident that you'll be able to get it to work.
    It doesn't matter, really, it's less than a week till I have access to my old desktop again, which I know absolutely plays it, because that's the rig I used to play it on. Done and Done.
  • Don't worry. The modders seem to have sorted that out.

It's weird that Tribes 2, patched, beats out anything from the last three years.
  • Don't worry. The modders seem to have sorted that out.
    I disagree, aparrently.
    It's weird that Tribes 2, patched, beats out anything from the last three years.
    Really? I wouldn't know.
  • What time's this looking to get started?
  • edited June 2010
    I'm going in. Tank, load the jump ski program.
    I disagree, aparrently.
    I think that references the gameplay changes they made.
  • I think that references the gameplay changes they made.
    I know, Just taking the piss.
  • As much as I'm enjoying watching this fail, I actually want this to succeed. So I might actually play this time. -koneko
  • I've been playing Tribes 2 pretty regularly. The Goon Haven servers, despite their bad map rotation, are fun enough to play on.
  • I actually lost any and all ability to play Tribes 2. I don't mean mechanically, I mean physically. I can't hit the broadside of a barn in the game anymore. I'm still as good as I ever was at Counter-Strike and Quake, but I'll be damned if I just can't make a control configuration that works for me in the game.
  • So~ I'm listening to an old podcast where Scrym mentioned hosting a Tribes server or trying to get a FrontRowCrew Tribes game going. Now of course, that was a long time ago, so it might've already happened. But if it hasn't: People wanna play Tribes 2?
  • edited December 2010
    We really need a server. The Goonhaven would work fine but it's throw a six on wether you get an enjoyable map.