This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super Meat Boy

edited December 2010 in Video Games
Let's get this conversation out of the Steam Deals thread.
Posted By: AprecheAlso, Gundabad must be some kind of platforming god because I can hardly get any bandages.
I have about 18, but I haven't really been going back for them. I've found that a few of them are much easier with the unlockable characters (especially Commander Video and the Head Crab.

Comments

• I just wanna get enough for the robot from Machinarium. That's all I want, besides beating the fucking thing.
  • I beat the whole thing within a few days when it first came out for 360, but now I don't have the 360 so I bought the PC version and have been slowly going through the levels from the start, getting all A ranks, beatting all the warp zones, and grabbing all the bandages I see. It's not as fun as rushing through the game was and my motivation has been low, so maybe I'll just go through and beat the whole Light World again and come back for the extra stuff then.
  • Just beat Rapture 13 and 14. I'll definitely beat 15 the next time I play.

Also, I realize one genius thing about this game. The #1 thing that pisses people off when playing action games is when the programming of the game does not match the visuals. For example, in Street Fighter it often appears that you hit that guy, when in fact you did not. That is because the hitbox doesn't exactly match the character models. I've been playing Mario Galaxy 2 and this frustration has returned. It seems like the Boos, while spherical, are actually cubes. I was robbed at least twice when trying to inch past an enemy and a hit registered because the collision detection was imprecise. It's really a problem in gaming in general that pixel perfect collision detection is so computationally intensive, that we have to resort to approximations. They work well for the most part, but aren't perfect.

SMB solves that problem in a most obivous and genius way. Make the game incredibly high resolution, and make the player character a square. The simplest collission detection in the world is comparing rectangles. Well, make the game rectangles and what the player sees and what happens will match perfectly. You'll never complain that you didn't touch that chainsaw, because yes you did. That's a big part of what makes the game fair, while also being balls hard.
  • I think I've played enough SMB for today. I got the Wood Boy achievement for getting through light world 1 without dying, and got A's on all the light world levels except the Cotton Alley.
  • Bought SMB today on XBox Live Arcade. It's awesome but hard as fuck, and I feat it's giving me Nintendo hands because I basically constantly hold down the right trigger for speed enforcement.
  • Bought SMB today on XBox Live Arcade. It's awesome but hard as fuck, and I feat it's giving me Nintendo hands because I basically constantly hold down the right trigger for speed enforcement.
    You use right trigger? I use the X button for speed and A for jump. Super Mario World styling is the one true platform control scheme.
  • I use the right trigger. I got used to it.
  • I use the left trigger for speed and B (Wii Classic Controller Pro) for jump. Found it to be much better than Mario 1 NES or Mario World SNES layout/controllers.
  • Most of the time I use Square to run and X to jump, but I've noticed that sometimes it's better to run with left trigger. This is especially true when using Jill, because one has to be able to really tap that jump-button. I say that being able to use both of the techniques for running is the key to mastery.
  • So after all the hub bub, I finally got it on XBLA. It was on sale for 800 points.

I know there is downloadable content on STEAM, but I like my couch and my pretty tv, so I'm fine without the extras.

As for the game, great googily-moogily is it fun. I've already died 109 times. Jeremy has heard me yell and scream from dying so many times and is amused by my deaths.

Some of those dark levels and bandages can get the finger. How the fuck can people do them?

I think it's cool you get to save your replays. I look forward to playing more.
  • In my 8.6 hours of play, I've gotten all A's and bandages for World 1 (both light and dark worlds) and the World 2 light world.

I've died... 2677 times.
  • Similar?
    Same composer.
  • Similar?
    Same composer.
    Also, those levels are direct Canabalt references.
  • I was really surprised that the Canabalt dude was not an unlockable character for SMB.
  • I was really surprised that the Canabalt dude was not an unlockable character for SMB.
    It's not? I didn't look at the list of unlockable characters, but I assumed he was on there.
  • For the record: Those hypervelocity wolf cannons (or whatever those things are that shoot biting rockets at you in the Hell levels) are assholes.
  • Similar?
    Same composer.
    Also, those levels are direct Canabalt references.
    Naw, this is the song from world two, The Hospital. They said that the intro to The Rapture was partially a Canabalt reference.
  • I am no platforming god but I have to say I noticed a HUGE performance boost when I started using right trigger instead of X. After an hour of play, the side of my thumb would cramp up and I would no longer be able to chain jumps together very quickly.

I'm at 71 bandages and can only remember 2 or 3 that are really designed for the unlockable characters. There was at least one where it would be impossible without Tim from Braid, and another where you neede the double-jump character.

Returning from a 6-day vacation late tonight and very much looking forward to more SMB before work starts up again on Monday.
  • I am no platforming god but I have to say I noticed a HUGE performance boost when I started using right trigger instead of X.
    Same here. I've played off and on with my tournament stick, though, with some success.

I'm just about done with the Salt Mines, though I started skipping bandages toward the end of the Hospital. I shall go back for them later.
  • I'd like to see them add in a graphic in the map screen that shows you levels you've completed but still have outstanding bandages or warp zones.
  • I'd like to see them add in a graphic in the map screen that shows you levels you've completed but still have outstanding bandages or warp zones.
    I use internets for that. Sometimes bandages are hidden in a non obvious way and I'm not going to look every corner of every level.
  • The right trigger is definitely the way to go for running.
    I use internets for that. Sometimes bandages are hidden in a non obvious way and I'm not going to look every corner of every level.
    I agree, the internet is the way to go for this. Some people want to track them down on their own, so a map would spoil that for them. I tried going back through myself and enjoyed the hunt, but always missed 3 or 4 that needed to be looked up.
  • Does anyone know how to get the bandage at the top right of world 1-1? I looked on YouTube and such, and nobody has video of how to get it.

In 1-1, yes the very first and easiest level in the game, look at the top right of the screen. Hiding behind a tree it looks like a bandage. However, after a few seconds it goes away. It's timed just so that if you run for it as fast as you can, it will disappear right as you get there. Can you get it with an unlockable character maybe?
  • Does anyone know how to get the bandage at the top right of world 1-1? I looked on YouTube and such, and nobody has video of how to get it.

In 1-1, yes the very first and easiest level in the game, look at the top right of the screen. Hiding behind a tree it looks like a bandage. However, after a few seconds it goes away. It's timed just so that if you run for it as fast as you can, it will disappear right as you get there. Can you get it with an unlockable character maybe?
    That thing is a bird.
  • That thing is a bird.
    Screenshot forthcoming.
  • That's a bird.
  • Scott, it's a bird. I just checked right now. Bandaids don't look like that, nor do they "blink" as that thing does.
  • They also don't disappear spontaneously.