This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090922 - Dominion

edited September 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we review Dominion. We do a geekbyte on Scribblenauts, and console prices are dropping.

Comments

• As a quick mid-cast answer to Rym's question about Scribblenauts containing Rick Astley: an object called 'rickroll' exists.
  • edited September 2009
    There is also a mode where you must solve a puzzle three times in succession by using different items each time.
    Post edited by Magic on
  • Just a quick note, as I've only listened to the start of the podcast. I've been playing a lot of NS recently, maybe a few hours a day on average while I've been at home in Berlin... hey, I'm newly single, I can do what I want. Anyway, when you mentioned Marine Guy on a previous podcast, I listened out for him online. When he said "Yeah!" next, I copied him, purely because you did such a good impression yourselves. I continued to do this for the next few ready room sessions, and other joined in. It's not that he's got a following, it's just a simple meme of your OWN creation.
  • Just a quick note, as I've only listened to the start of the podcast. I've been playing a lot of NS recently, maybe a few hours a day on average while I've been at home in Berlin... hey, I'm newly single, I can do what I want. Anyway, when you mentioned Marine Guy on a previous podcast, I listened out for him online. When he said "Yeah!" next, I copied him, purely because you did such a good impression yourselves. I continued to do this for the next few ready room sessions, and other joined in. It's not that he's got a following, it's just a simple meme of your OWN creation.
    YEAH!
  • edited September 2009
    1) "Don't see that every day.."
    2) "Pause."
    3) *Flips up visor* "..thank god."
    4) [Cut to Alien Commander] "YEAHH!"
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Street Fighter 4 is so much better than Soul Caliber 4.
  • 1) "Don't see that every day.."
    2) "Pause."
    I hate you so much. So. Fucking. Much.
    2) "Pause."
    I guess you could say his selection was quite...Natural.

YEAAH!!!
    2) "Pause."
    I guess you could say his selection was quite...Natural.

YEAAH!!!
    Hate. you. all.
  • JayJay
    edited October 2009
    So after playing Dominion for a few weeks I was wondering if others ran into the same things I did:

1. You need to buy Villages aggressively if they ever are out. The 2+ actions allows for broken decks if anyone gets hold of more then 4 of them. (sometimes just 4 is enough to start very brutal combos. I see villages as a card that may have to be removed in 3 player games as at least 1 person can get hold of 4 of them which leads to a tipping point of very rapid province generating decks.)
    2. Bureaucrat is incredibly powerful if Thieves or Villages are not in play. Without Thieves to steal treasure or Villages to allow for faster card combos Bureaucrat seems to be near unbeatable. All you need is 3 with perhaps a card or 2 to draw into more cards (ideally Adventurer) and just spend the rest of your time buying silver/gold and provinces when you get the hand. You get up and running quickly and can keep purchasing constantly.
    3. Moat is a useless waste of paper unless all your opponents are running aggressive attack games.
    4. Buying a single Workshop in your first two hands (if the kingdom is out) seems to be the best way to start up. Workshops generate ridiculous card advantage and anyone who hasn't bought one in the first two hands falls drastically behind as the game progresses.

Overall this is a brilliantly built game and my friends and I have found many wildly varying successful strategies. We have been playing that the people who come in 4th and 3rd choose 2 and 1 kingdom to swap out respectively. (I always put in witches as I love to grief) I have the expansion but have yet to bring in the cards yet. We keep on playing with new people and I don't want to overwhelm them by introducing new sets of cards every game.

Also, I disagree with the analysis on the podcast about going province heavy as the only way to win though. I have found several tactics that rely upon draining two kingdoms and all the Duchy that can be out race people that have a province oriented strategy. Though it does take some meta gaming as you usually have to build your own strategy around buying kingdoms that the other players are also buying to end the game quick enough that they cant get started up.

Final note. Story of epic win.

My friend (James) and I have a long rivalry with card games that started with Magic. (so much money lost to that game). We often imitate Kiba and Yugioh since we both found the show hilariously ridiculous. Those two have voices that are far to deep given their physical frames.

*mid game*
    James(Kiba): "Yugi, clearly my Throne Rooms will win me this game. They are too strong, I draw them to fast, you will surely lose"
    Jay (Yugi): "This is the story of a Tortoise and the Hair. You have found a powerful combo, Throne Room and Adventure, but can you stand in front of the constant push Bureaucrat. Have you already fallen to far behind..."

*game ends*

James(Kiba): "So Yugi, I have 45 points. The day is mine, the Hair has won! Your grandfather's soul is MINE!" (There is far to much soul stealing in that show, poor grandpa)
    Jay (Yugi): *puts down points. sly grin* "Kiba, your rapid gaining of provinces was quiet impressive. But I must ask, what is 6X8+1?"
    James(Kiba): *looks left while squinting for split second...probably doing mental math* *opens eyes wide* "NOOOOOOOO!"

Good times, good times.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • 1. You need to buy Villages aggressively if they ever are out. The 2+ actions allows for broken decks if anyone gets hold of more then 4 of them. (sometimes just 4 is enough to start very brutal combos. I see villages as a card that may have to be removed in 3 player games as at least 1 person can get hold of 4 of them which leads to a tipping point of very rapid province generating decks.)
    This all depends on which 10 cards are out and available. Depending on which cards are in play the game can be very short of very long. Usually, when there are a lot of attack cards, especially witches, the game will be stretched out.

If the game is a long one, it's going to be a lot harder to get hands full of money, because they will be full of curses (witch) or you'll only have three cards (militia). In this case, village can help. You can buy lots of cheap action cards and combo them together to make up for the fact that you can't afford gold. You can also combo those extra actions to draw cards and get through your terrible deck.

If the game is short, however, a village or two is just fine. Remember, all the wicked combos in the world don't really help you win most of the time. You might think someone is doing awesomely because they were able to play 6 action cards in a turn. But what did they really end up with at the end of the turn? Just a gold? Just a province? Big whoop.

In all the games we have played, the winning deck typically has very few action cards in it. Between 6 and 8 total action cards in the deck at the end of the game is pretty typical of a winner.

Think of this mathematically. You draw five cards per turn. You get an action every turn. So having one action card for every five cards in your deck is a good balance. A village gives you +1 card, +2 actions. So in order for a village to be mathematically practical, you need to have 3 action cards in your deck for every 6 cards total. If you don't, then you're going to draw the village and not be able to use both extra actions. If you do, then there are a lot of times you will be drawing a bunch of action cards you can't use. That is, unless, 1/3 of your action cards are villages.

This math works out early in the game because you can buy two villages, and four other action cards right off the bat when your deck is only 10 cards or so. If you do this, however, those will probably be the only action cards you ever buy. The rest of the game should be spend getting silver/gold/dutchys/provinces and maybe a special scoring card if one is available.
  • JayJay
    edited October 2009
    This math works out early in the game because you can buy two villages, and four other action cards right off the bat when your deck is only 10 cards or so. If you do this, however, those will probably be the only action cards you ever buy. The rest of the game should be spend getting silver/gold/dutchys/provinces and maybe a special scoring card if one is available.
    Hmm now that I have thought about it. Village only has ended up running away with the game when there is another powerful drawing card on the field. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. With the basic first recommended set:

First two hands: Buy workshop and village
    Next two hands: Buy 3 Villages (very consistent, I have done this roughly 2/3 the time I play with workshop and village available)
    Next two hands: Buy 2 Smithies, + silver if lucky. (Can do this roughly 1/2 the time)
    Next hand: Cycle through entire deck, buy a gold and a silver (silver work shopped)

Proceed to buy provinces every turn by cycling through your entire deck every turn. Next Workshop get one more Workshop. Then Workshop either silvers or smithies. More Silver then Smithy. You'll get half the Provinces before you start getting dead draws. At that point Workshop/buy Duchy and get Provinces when you get lucky. Congrats you've won. This is very powerful not only because of extra actions, but because Villages/Drawing cards make your deck incredibly consistent. Until you get 4-5 other victory cads in your deck (likely provinces) you will never have a dead draw.

This works with any combination of Village + drawing card. It's just most evident with Smithy. The Workshops are not necessary but you get slowed down a turn without them. Though, if there is no Workshops everyone gets slowed down a turn or two so it doesn't make a difference. My friend James did this to us on our second day playing Dominion. It was absolutely ruthless. Everyone else was still buying silver/gold when he was turning out Provinces. The same thing was then done by various people using Village/Library, Village/Laboratory, Village/Witch, Village/Council Room. Though with these other combos your slow enough cause of the 5 cost of the cards to not have a landslide of a victory.

4 Villages 3 Witches = GG. (Buy no other cards but villages and witches...maybe a Duchy when those piles run out)

*edit* This may be an artifact of our group still being new enough with the game that we don't know ways to combat this strategy efficiently. Like when we started Puerto Rico and it seemed Factory = Instant win. Time will tell.

*double edit* This also works even if your being Militiaed/Witched yourself. You dump your non drawing cards and keep your drawing cards and draw right back into your combo again. It just slows you down a little bit, but everyone else is being slowed down too.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • So after getting the run around from FedEx, I finally got Dominion: Alchemy. I will probably play it this weekend.

I didn't know what any of the cards did, but a friend was telling me about the Potion card mechanic. At first I was a bit leary, because you basically have to buy a Potion card in order to get other cards. After reading what the cards do, I can see why they added the Potion cost mechanic.
    +2 Cards, +1 Action. When you discard this from play, you may put this on top of your deck if you have a Potion in play.
    +1 Card, +1 Action. Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Coppers and Potions into your hand. Put the other cards back on top of your deck in any order.
    +1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Plus 1 Card per Coin it costs. +2 Cards if it has a Potion in its cost.
    +1 Card, +1 Action. Each other player gains a Curse.
    Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 Action cards other than a Golem card. Discard the other cards, then play the Action cards in either order.
    +1 Coin, +1 Buy. When you discard this from play, you may put one of your Treasures from play on top of your deck.
    When you play this, count your deck and discard pile. Worth 1 Coin per 5 Cards total between them (rounded down).
    I can see this as a good way to buy Provinces during mid to end game.
    The player to your left takes an extra turn after this one, in which you can see all cards he can and make all decisions for him. Any card he would gain on that turn, you gain instead; any cards of his that are trashed are set aside and returned to his discard pile at the end of turn.
    I love this card. It's so mean. I can see Andrew playing this on Lyddi a lot. ^_~
    +1 Action. Each player (including you) reveals the top card of his deck and either discards it or puts it back, your choice. Then reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal one that is not an Action. Put all of your revealed cards into your hand.
    Trash a card from your hand. If it is an. . . Action card, gain a Duchy; Treasure card, gain a Transmute; Victory card, gain a Gold.
    Cheap cost, effective output. Another card to use towards end of game to get the Duchy cards for victory points.
    +2 Actions. You may gain an Action card costing up to 5 Coins.
    Worth 1 VP for every three Action cards in your deck (rounded down).
    For anyone that enjoys building a deck full of actions, this card can be very worthwhile
    Worth 1 Potion
    Some of these cards look really awesome to play, however the rules suggest if you were to play with cards from Alchemy, that you have at least 3-5 Alchemy cards in the set. I'll think I'll try some of their recommended set combinations. They look pretty wicked.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm establishing a regular summer board game day for some friends and myself. I want to buy Dominion to add to the fold because presently I only have an unexpanded Catan and Carcassonne as far as truly good board games go. Should I just buy the Dominion core to start off with, or are there any expansions I should snap up when I order the game?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Dominion is fine on it's own. You can play Dominion: Intrigue as a stand alone. Dominion: Seaside is pretty fun, but I would stick to Dominion and Dominion: Intrigue for starters.
  • I agree with Ro, but would go further to recommend vanilla Dominion on its own if you're starting out. The base game will give you and your friends a chance to get familiarized with all the different kinds of cards, and provide plenty of gameplay in and of itself. If your group routinely has more than four players, though, you might want to pick up Intrigue to be able to play up to six at a time (although some people don't like the downtime created by larger groups).
  • edited May 2010
    Just played my first game with the Alchemy expansion. Jeremy: 35, Ro: 55. Hahaha.

We played with their first suggested deck.
    Apprentice, Familiar, Possession, University, Cellar, Council Room, Gardens, Laboratory, Thief, & Throne Room
    I wasn't kidding about Possession. That card is beyond wicked. I was able to get Provinces off that card. Jeremy finally played a possession on me and got 2 Provinces out of it by going through my entire deck. For those who have Alchemy, check out that deck set up. It has a lot of good combination set ups.

Also my buying of Gardens paid out. I was able to make each Garden card worth 5 points each. It's definitely a card not to ignore.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Possession is just sick. It almost feels like one of those joke expansion cards like the Unglued M:TG set.
  • Possession is just sick. It almost feels like one of those joke expansion cards like the Unglued M:TG set.
    Yeah, it is pretty ridiculous. I thought about using Throne Room and Possession, but I didn't want to piss Jeremy off too much. ^_~ I like it because it's a gives off a vibe of, "Hey guy to the left of me. You took a lot of effort to build your deck. Well I'm going to use it against you to help me beat you. I'm basically saying you should die in a fire and afterward, I'll piss on your ashes."

The card does cost 6 coin and 1 potion, so you have to build your deck up to at least buy the Potion which is 4 coin, then go from there.

Also University is a really good card for such a cheap cost. You get a free action card of costing up to 5. I was using that to get my Throne Room and Laboratory cards.
  • Getting a few Possessions and a few Golems in your deck is quite nasty, especially when you end up pulling off a double possession.
  • Getting a few Possessions and a few Golems in your deck is quite nasty, especially when you end up pulling off a double possession.
    Yeah, but at the same time as fun as it is playing Possession, it creates that same common problem that many people have with Dominion: It makes the turn way too long to where people start getting impatient. Normally each turn is very fast paced and people already have their next strategy for the next turn after they draw their cards.

BTW, I just played another round.
    Alchemist, Apothecary, Golem, Herbalist, Transmute, Cellar, Chancellor, Festival, Militia, & Smithy
    Jeremy: 32, Ro: 29

Lost by a Duchy. :(

This was a fast game. Golem is a good mid-game card to use. I should have also got Herbalist earlier in the game, but I didn't and it ended up being my downfall. I had many instances where I had lots of money but no extra buying power. I was also disappointed I wasn't able to use the two Transmute cards I bought.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/apreche/sets/72157623959448945/

If anyone wants to rebox their Dominion, I suggest you get a box half the size of the one I got.
  • I liked those spiffy dividers. I will have to go to a print shop sometime and get it done on heavy card stock.

Here is our current set up:

We're going to take out all the coin cards and put them a separate container so we can put the alchemy in the box with all the other kingdom cards.
  • edited May 2010
    I got all the equipment, including spiffy dividers, from this place.

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/

This is the box I should have gotten.
    These are the dividers. I went all out and got 25 packs of dividers because it was cheaper in bulk, and I won't have to order them again for future expansion(s).
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Wow, those dividers are incredibly handy, and reasonably priced. About two years ago I got that fateful call from the parents: "you haven't lived here in years, we're turning your room into an office. Come get all your crap!" I filled a few of those boxes, but didn't have anything handy for dividers, so I wound up making my own out of index cards similar to Ro's solution. It'd be nice to go back and clean up the job I did so I think I will be ordering. Thanks for the link!
  • Lost by a Duchy. :(
    You engaged DPT a turn too late. ^_~
  • http://www.bcwsupplies.com/
    If those don't work out, I'll probably use the designs they have from boardgamegeek.
    You engaged DPT a turn too late. ^_~
    I can't figure out that acronym for the life of me.
  • You engaged DPT a turn too late. ^_~
    I can't figure out that acronym for the life of me.
    I'm gonna go with Donkey Punch Throw
  • So, to dust off this thread a bit, my friend bought a game similar to Dominion called Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer. It's pretty fun, and very new (just published this year). Rather than picking out ten cards to play with, cards are drawn randomly from a deck of all the cards in the set. You can buy heroes and constructs, much like in Dominion, but you can also defeat monsters, which give you victory points and other cool effects. Being designed by the guy who made Magic: The Gathering, the art and play style feel a lot more "Magic-y" than Dominion, but it still has the "buy the box, get all the cards needed to play" part of Dominion.
  • I mentioned Ascension in a previous thread. It's a nice change from Dominion, but with a similar game play style.

Jeremy eagerly awaits an expansion from this game.