This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Settlers of Catan expansions

edited January 2011 in Board Games
I played Settlers for the first time last night.
I won twice.
Anyway, as I was trading my wheats and my rocks-
I wondered... what expansions should I get?
Should invest in making the game playable for more people?
Let me know which you think are best.

Comments

• I haven't played any of them, but I just feel that I already have such a big stack of games that are best with 5-6 people, so why let Catan start to elbow its way into that territory and take time away from those less-played titles.
  • People seem to like Cities + Knights the best. However, since you seem new to the world of good board games, I suggest you branch out to other games instead of expanding on one game. I suggest Dominion and Carcassonne as your next games.
  • People seem to like Cities + Knights the best. However, since you seem new to the world of good board games, I suggest you branch out to other games instead of expanding on one game. I suggest Dominion and Carcassonne as your next games.
    Pretty much this. I do like Catan and always enjoyed playing it, but that was many years ago. The new one with the America theme with trains looks interesting, but I would rather try it out or have a friend buy it and play their copy.

If you like games like Catan, perhaps Puerto Rico or San Juan would be right up your alley.
  • I enjoy the 5 to 6 player expansion when you have more then 4 people. It's a great game to introduce the idea of a board game to older people and a gateway drug into German board games. I haven't played Seafarers or Knights but I definitely had 5-6 player expansion and it's gotten a bunch of use.
  • If you like games like Catan, perhaps Puerto Rico or San Juan would be right up your alley.
    San Juan is a broken game. Whoever gets the silver mines wins. Puerto Rico is the best game ever. However, it is medium difficulty, so get it in the second round.
  • If you do decide to go forward and expand Catan though, don't do it at full price. I know at least in my area there are these seasonal gift chains that pop up in early November. They carry some mix of toys, calendars, and usually some of the most popular strategy board games (Settlers, Ticket to Ride, Axis & Allies, maybe 1 or 2 others). Although their prices are jacked to begin with, they all shut down in January and try to move some fast stock rather than storing it for next year.

Last year I bought Seafarers and the regular 5-6 player expansion for $25 total, which was a ridiculous steal at the time. In retrospect, not a genius move since they're still both in the shrink wrap 1 year later, but I swear I'll play them one day!
  • Speaking of expansions, I bought the Jungle Speed expansion at 20% off. I didn't know it existed. Jeremy bought Ninja Burger for shits and giggles.

I also have a coworker that does woodworking and I might have to commission him to make a wooden totem.
  • I bought the Jungle Speed expansion at 20% off. I didn't know it existed.
    WAWAWA!!!!?!?!
    WAWAWA!!!!?!?!
    That's what I said when I first saw it.

Apparently, it's EXTREME!
    WAWAWA!!!!?!?!
    That's what I said when I first saw it.

Apparently, it's EXTREME!
    Apparently there are even more.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&objecttype;=boardgame&q;=jungle+speed&B1;=Go

Apparently there are a bunch of awesome Jungle Speeds, including wooden totems, just not in the US.
  • edited January 2011
    Apparently there are a bunch of awesome Jungle Speeds, including wooden totems, just not in the US.
    Weaksauce. That's it, I'm going to get a wooden totem made.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Weaksauce. That's it, I'm going to get a wooden totem made.
    Fuck, that reminds me, I need to go and do the maintenance on my wood lathe, oil it, check the belts and such. Shit, how did I forget that?
  • I've never had the pleasure of playing Jungle Speed, so I don't know just how exact a replica totem would need to be in order to not impact the game, but you might be able to make one pretty easily. Just looking at a picture, it reminds me of some basic designs you see in the "spokes" of a staircase, known as the balusters. You can usually pick up a baluster at home depot, and then you'd just have to saw the ends off to leave a portion you want to keep for your totem.

Here's a reference: http://www.ftstairs.com/wood_stairs_railings/staircase-stair-railings-pages/frame-balusters.htm
  • Here's a reference:http://www.ftstairs.com/wood_stairs_railings/staircase-stair-railings-pages/frame-balusters.htm
    That's a great idea! I could easily just get a cheap table leg from Home Depot or Loews, have it cut and sand it down from there.

I'll have to look up more information about the weight and what not as well.

I already talked to my coworker who does woodworking on a lathe and he'll see get started on my request.
  • I've never had the pleasure of playing Jungle Speed, so I don't know just how exact a replica totem would need to be in order to not impact the game, but you might be able to make one pretty easily.
    Yeah, a basic one would be a ten minute job to turn it out. The first jungle speed totem I made was a bit too heavy. As in, I made it WAY too heavy, out of a mild steel scrap I had hanging around, and damn near fractured my hand doing a test grab.
  • I want games that are silly/easy/intellectual/not frustrating.
    I want games that I can explain to my ADD friends in 30 seconds - 4 minutes
  • I want games that are silly/easy/intellectual/not frustrating.
    Get new friends.
  • edited January 2011
    I want games that are silly/easy/intellectual/not frustrating.
    Many of the games we've recommended are good, e.g. Carcassonne, Metro, Tsuro, Dominion (only if your friends know about drafting in CCGs like M:TG), Greed Quest, Blokus, etc.
    Did it only take you 30 seconds to explain Catan to your friends? Didn't think so. There aren't many games that are beyond easy and fast to explain to others who haven't played.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • It took about 5, and that was a slight exaggeration. in a party scenario, my friends tend to be impatient. Which is obnoxious.
  • It took about 5, and that was a slight exaggeration. in a party scenario, my friends tend to be impatient. Which is obnoxious.
    Most games take a while to explain. Most people get impatient when learning rules. The best thing I've found is to have at least one person who knows the game fairly well, give the jist of the rules, start the game, and explain and you play. People will normally ask questions of gameplay as you go along.
    I would recommend playing party games in a party scenario, saving Settlers and other deeper games for when you've got people over specifically for the purpose of playing board games.
  • It takes 45 straight and attentive minutes to properly teach Puerto Rico. Tigris & Euphrates takes about 30, though this is without imparting any strategic advice.
    I would recommend playing party games in a party scenario, saving Settlers and other deeper games for when you've got people over specifically for the purpose of playing board games.
    Yep. Perhaps Apples to Apples and Dixit would be good idea. If your friends can't play have the patience to learn deeper games, then as Scott said, "Get new friends." :P
  • This is why Blokus is a great game. You say "Inverse Tetris!" and start playing. As they make a wrong move, tell them the rule they just broke. Nobody wins their first game anyway, so they won't mind not knowing what the hell is going on for two minutes.
  • Good advice. I don't necessarily want to replace my friends, lol.
  • So, I introduced a new group of friends to Catan. We have been playing the shit out of it! We decided we want to try our hands at some of the expansions. I am aware that they are relativly cheap and can be found even cheaper on websites such a ebay and boardgame geek, however I am desitute. I decided to make my own and it seems I am leaning towards making a copy Seafarers. I feel that this can be made very cheaply and used till I upgrade to an "offical copy" or make a better one. For the sea hexes and terrain hexes I am going to cut out thick cardboard, the 50 Catan chips will be pennies, the number tolkens (harbor and number tokens) will also be cut from cardboard, and lastly the ships (15 ships of 4 colors and one black pirate) will be leggo blocks. Does anyone have any suggestions or changes I should make that can either imrpove on quality cheaply or a way to cut costs even more?
  • Have you considered buying used or trading away a game that you don't play that much anymore?
  • edited August 2011
    I can not sell or trade a game I do not play often because I only own Catan. The only other "real" board game I have even played is Le Harve. So there is that... I do thank you for the advice though. BUT I AM NO LONGER SHIIT TALKING! I have stepped down from being a man of words and became a man of action! Behold pictures of my first steps towards making A Seafarers expansion!

So this is my first attempt. I am going to try again before I declare said piece as a template for all others to be cut by. And the K'Nex are going to be used as boats till I come up with something more appropriate.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • For something that sells for $33.60 on Amazon w/ free shipping. Is it really worth all the time it takes to pirate it? It's not even something that will lose it's value. If you need to make $20 one day you could easily sell it on eBay.
  • Im building it for fun. Not to pirate it. And yes, that is very cheap. But I have very, very few funds available for no bill spending. Any money I do have that is for bills goes to my once a month Larping weekend or to buy something to drink at work. I plan on making some cool art work for it.