This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110104 - Super Meat Boy

edited January 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss Super Meat Boy in all its glory. But before that, we geekbite a bit on Cthulhu Saves the World, touch on the final rooting of the PS3 (and the revealed key), and a video of epic Quake mastery. Also recall that MAGFEST 9 approacheth, and we shall speaketh there.

Download MP3

Comments

• If I could Highlander that man and get his voice, I would drive to Ohio TODAY. What talent he has!
  • edited January 2011
    Now PS3 finally has gaems.

Unfortunately, like PSP and Wii, all the best ones are from other systems.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited January 2011
    With respect to the renewed discussion of mouse and keyboard control, you're actually missing a number of limitations there.

All mice have limitations on the rate at which you can move them before the reported speed maxes out, and then at some point they start to report bullshit; for very many mice, especially ones not oriented at gaming, these thresholds can be relatively low.

I think the most important distinction to make in analog stick vs mouse is that for the mouse, the position of the mouse corresponds to the position of the crosshair, while for analog sticks the position of the analock stick corresponds to the velocity of the crosshair. This is a very important distinction, and it's the main reason for the superiority of the mouse. Additionally, you do get much higher usable resolution with mouse vs analog stick, which Rym and Scott did mention in the podcast.

Also, most keyboards do not, in fact, recognise simultaneous pressing of very many keys because of hardware limitations of the circuitry. For example, my current keyboard doesn't recognise Caps Lock (which I use as Left Ctrl), Left Shift and T pressed together.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited January 2011
    The scary video game thing reminded me of the Scary-Ass Bear video from a couple years ago, which I find even more hilarious as far as videos of people having fun being freaked out by video games go.

Post edited by Eryn on
  • Ah, the bear. Even if Condemned 2 was pretty full of combat and shootybang action, I found it to be a satisfyingly frazzling experience. Not always all that scary, but pretty intense if you get into it.
  • When you guys discussed the minus world in the episode, it sounded like you thought you only had one shot at beating the level or you had to find it again. I didn't realize it at first, but the level actually does appear on the world map. Even though the minus world stages act like a warp zone, they appear as an actual level, just located prior to Level 1 in whatever world you reached it in. This threw me off because I was expecting a warp zone icon to pop out of the level I found it in. When I didn't see one appear, I also thought that I had blown my one chance at beating the stage.

In other podcast-related news... COME TO NERD NYC 2-DAY RECESS!
    If you plan on coming, let me know if you want to meet up. On Saturday, I am running two board games, Small World and Last Night on Earth. On Sunday during the afternoon break there is going to be a big game of Pumpkin Town (the 6th game in the Parsley Games "Action Castle" series), which also sounds awesome.
  • Also, most keyboards do not, in fact, recognise simultaneous pressing of very many keys because of hardware limitations of the circuitry. For example, my current keyboard doesn't recognise Caps Lock (which I use as Left Ctrl), Left Shift and T pressed together.
    That's a shame. Every keyboard I have, including laptops, can handle at least five simultaneous keys being pressed. ctrl+shift+alt+meta+anything
  • edited January 2011
    It can often be certain combinations, not just the number. For instance: W + D + Shift + Space = Dead while W + A + Shift + Space = OK. That said, I do use a wireless keyboard so I can move it out of the way for drawing.

Think about that, we can make wireless laser mice that work reasonabl well, but a keyboard that can recognise a fistsmash is beyond us. I presume it's because ghosting is something you only notice in games.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited January 2011
    With respect to the renewed discussion of mouse and keyboard control, you're actually missing a number of limitations there.
    I knew they'd bring that up where nobody could directly talk back to them. As soon as I saw the words "Quake mastery" I know Scott said something along the lines of "I'd like to see anyone do this on a controller" or "You just can't do that on an a controller!", followed by the same shit, again. It's the same bullshit arguments as the last time you made the same bullshit arguments, every time you make these arguments it's the same bullshit arguments.
    It's not even an intelligent argument anymore, it's just scrym repeating what they say, over and over again verbatim, and then whenever part of an argument is defeated, they immediately ignore that it ever happened, if they don't quit the discussion entirely. Then, just wait a few months, and we're back to the same shit over again.

Just get over it, for fuck's sake. We get it, you're super L33t at teh shooters, console players are N00bfags and can all suck your dicks, now can we just fucking move on? We get it, boys, You're FPS gods - as long as it some very specific games of your choice, and PC only, and nothing else - and we all suck. We get it, all these games you've never played a moment of are baby games that are beneath you, despite having no actual way of knowing that. We get it, your E-peens are the size of buildings, in fact, there was a conspiracy on 9/11, because you had to cover up that the twin towers were really not much more than sheathes to keep your e-peens hidden from public view, and you don't want anyone to find out.

Now, can we just more the fuck on.
    Jesus Christ, it's like listening to some old homeless fucks going on about when they were young men and everything was fantastic, the world was awesome, and everyone was super amazing at everything, but now they live on the street. Occasionally, a new opportunity or shelter opens up, and it becomes "Oh, it's just like the good ol' days again here, unlike the rest of that barbaric, childish world!" but the excitement passes after a little while, and it's back to the same old shit.

TL:DR - Fucking trolls.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The ending of this episode was really awkward, I mean the ending before the music, then the ending after the music made me feel a little better. I still feel a little awkward though. I feel like maybe I lost the rest of Rym's paragraph, maybe he said something stupid. Who knows.
  • I feel like maybe I lost the rest of Rym's paragraph, maybe he said something stupid. Who knows.
    We literally stopped talking right there. ;^)
  • Think about that, we can make wireless laser mice that work reasonabl well, but a keyboard that can recognise a fistsmash is beyond us.
    My Das Keyboard has substantial key rollover: I have never hit the limitation gaming, and have simultaneously engaged six keys without any issue.
    All mice have limitations on the rate at which you can move them before the reported speed maxes out, and then at some point they start to report bullshit
    There's a reason I have a high DPI mouse. I'm also taking advantage of CounterStrike's new raw mouse input feature.
  • I feel like maybe I lost the rest of Rym's paragraph, maybe he said something stupid. Who knows.
    We literally stopped talking right there. ;^)
    And after that you said, "We're done." and I said "Are you sure? That was an awkward place to end."
  • edited January 2011
    Also I thought I should mention that I've a 100% completion rate at Super Meat Boy: including The INTERNETS levels, all the characters and I've unlocked the super secret final character. Am I a gaming god? Last time I checked the Xbox Live leaderboards less than 100 people had done so.
    Post edited by Ganty on
  • My £80 Das Keyboard has substantial key rollover: I have never hit the limitation gaming, and have simultaneously engaged six keys without any issue.
    I can't think why it would perform noticably better than mine.
  • And after that you said, "We're done." and I said "Are you sure? That was an awkward place to end."
    I left that part in the episode too ;^)
    Am I a gaming god?
    Yes.
  • This is odd, the DKeyB allows all keys to be pressed with the PS2 connector but only 6 with USB. How odd.
  • My£80Das Keyboard has substantial key rollover: I have never hit the limitation gaming, and have simultaneously engaged six keys without any issue.
    I can't think why it would perform noticably better than mine.
    You get what you pay for, and with most people - even gamers - not really often engaging more than two or three keys at once, so they don't really think it matters. I mean, if you're buying a fuckin' optimus maximus, then you'd damn well better be able to press every key on the keyboard at once and have them all respond, but for a $10 keyboard from Crazy Clarks, then you're going to run into this.
  • Side note: Can we expect a pre-recorded closer done by homeless anouncer any time soon?
  • edited January 2011
    Also I thought I should mention that I've a 100% completion rate at Super Meat Boy: including The INTERNETS levels, all the characters and I've unlocked the super secret final character. Am I a gaming god? Last time I checked the Xbox Live leaderboards less than 100 people had done so.
    Yes. Yes you are. I've beaten every level minus some warps and some of the Gish-only internet levels, with about 72 bandages, and am only #2,900-something on the Xbox Live leaderboards.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • a fuckin' optimus maximus
    Engadget actually hated the Optimus Maximus. It's apparently really difficult to type on for more than an hour or so.
  • edited January 2011
    Also, most keyboards do not, in fact, recognise simultaneous pressing of very many keys because of hardware limitations of the circuitry. For example, my current keyboard doesn't recognise Caps Lock (which I use as Left Ctrl), Left Shift and T pressed together.
    That's a shame. Every keyboard I have, including laptops, can handle at least five simultaneous keys being pressed. ctrl+shift+alt+meta+anything
    Sure, but if you try more esoteric 5-key combinations you might find they fail. In any case, although the lack of this particular combination for my keyboard means I need to use RShift instead of LShift for Caps Lock(used for LCtrl)-Shift-T in a web browser, I've never had an issue with it in a video game. I guess they didn't account for people swapping Caps Lock and LCtrl when they designed the key circuitry.
    As Omnutia said, the issue is specific combinations, generally esoteric ones.
    All mice have limitations on the rate at which you can move them before the reported speed maxes out, and then at some point they start to report bullshit
    There's a reason I have a high DPI mouse. I'm also taking advantage of CounterStrike's new raw mouse input feature.
    High DPI is nice if you want to play at high sensitivity, but I personally prefer to play games at lower sensitivity. In any case, there are plenty of mice that can be moved very fast before there's real trouble.
    Raw mouse input bypasses the Windows bullshit, but the issues I'm talking about are driver and hardware issues. If I recall correctly, the speed is limited by the USB polling rate; this is why most gaming mice offer 1000Hz USB polling in their drivers. The other limitation is the sensor itself - any mouse sensor will begin to malfunction when moved quickly enough. If you buy a gaming mouse carefully, this probably won't be an issue; I bought the Razer DeathAdder primarily on this criterion, although these days there are alternatives.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • It appears that there is a hidden character in the PC version. if you type "ballgoo" on the character select screen you can play as the goo ball from world of goo, which appears to control exactly like Gish on the 360 version.
  • Wow, the Columbus Dispatch took down the original Youtube video of Ted Williams so they could place it on their newspaper website.

Fucking print, they just don't get the web.
  • I linked back to this podcast in my Meat Boy post on Wired.com since I mentioned the potential use of the SMB initials to link it to Super Mario Bros., and that was a thought that never even crossed my mind until Rym brought it up.
  • on Wired.com
    Nice.
  • I linked back to this podcast inmy Meat Boy poston Wired.com since I mentioned the potential use of the SMB initials to link it to Super Mario Bros., and that was a thought that never even crossed my mind until Rym brought it up.
    Really? You didn't recognize the most obvious?
  • on Wired.com
    Nice.
    'grats.
  • edited January 2011
    I linked back to this podcast inmy Meat Boy poston Wired.com since I mentioned the potential use of the SMB initials to link it to Super Mario Bros., and that was a thought that never even crossed my mind until Rym brought it up.
    Really? You didn't recognize the most obvious?
    No it was not that obvious to me. Maybe you shouldn't waste time pointing out obvious things on your podcast if you are so surprised by this.
    Post edited by Matt on