This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What computer should I get...?

edited May 2007 in Technology
I'm *finally* getting a laptop for myself this summer, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

First off, I do a ton of graphics things, so a need a computer with a good graphics system. I don't really play computer games, but occasionally I'll download the latest (and best reviewed) online RPG. I want it kind of portable too... any suggestions? As I said before, I good graphics card is a must, and I don't have the resources (or patience) to build my own computer...

Comments

• What do you mean by "graphics things"? Photoshop? Illustrator? Flash? 3d? That makes a big difference.
  • What do you mean by "graphics things"? Photoshop? Illustrator? Flash? 3d? That makes a big difference.
    Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash.
  • Define your budget, and what you mean by portability. A Mac Pro might be a good idea for all of your graphics needs and small footprint, but I don't know how they stack up when it comes to their graphics card.
  • Budget... hmmm... under $1500.

I would like it to be portable, and pretty light.
  • I think OWC had some refurbished MacBook Pro's for, like, $1400 a little while back. The Core Duo ones, not the Core 2 Duo ones. And they had the apple warranty, and you can always buy the extended AppleCare deal all the way up until the day the factory one expires.
  • Don' t know why everyone here is recommending a mac. Meanwhile it is good, the more important thing is which interface you like better and for what platform is your software for.

Here are a couple of other things to consider when getting a mac. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but if you're planning on switch between programs a lot I wouldn't go with a mac. If you are working with a lot of people who have macs, I'd say go with a mac.

As for hardware, I don't know what is the best to recommend.
  • Macs come with a lot of free software. Adobe Photoshop isn't free no matter what you buy. Mac laptops are competitively priced--they are no longer head and shoulders above comparable PC's.

However, the Mac is on a more stable and slick operating system, and the hardware is top-notch. There is not a single PC laptop chassis I could recommend more than the MacBook Pro chassis. It is distinctive and elegant; you may not realize just how much until you have one. It's also well-cooled, quiet, and light.

The hardware is as good as it gets in laptops; I always recommend buying the cheapest RAM and memory then upgrading manually; it's much more cost-efficient. If you do that, there is no PC price advantage.

So, in terms of overall features, bang for your buck, reliability, and the ease with which I can come up with a recommendation that matches all of these...it's pretty much Mac every time.

Of course, it won't be easy to find any laptop that meets or exceeds the requirements in that price range, but then, I set my standards very, very high.
  • So, can you put Ubuntu an a mac laptop?
  • Don't know why everyone here is recommending a Mac. MeanWhile they are good, the more important thing is which interface you like better and for what platform is your software for.

Here are a couple of other things to consider when getting a Mac. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but if you're planning on switching between programs a lot, I wouldn't go with a Mac. If you are working with a lot of people who also have Macs, I'd say go with a Mac.

As for hardware, I don't know what is the best to recommend.
    This post really bothered me.
    So, can you put Ubuntu an a mac laptop?
    You certainly can. I was considering it as an option when buying my laptop.
  • Don't know why everyone here is recommending aMac.MeanWhilethey aregood, the more important thing is which interface you like better andforwhat platform is your software for.

Here are a couple of other things to consider when getting aMac. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but if you're planning on switchingbetween programs a lot,I wouldn't go with aMac. If you are working with a lot of people whoalsohaveMacs, I'd say go with aMac.

As for hardware, I don't know what isthebest to recommend.
    I recommended the Mac because I am a graphics professional and a Mac user, so my suggestion comes from my own personal preferences. Also, I know Ken has obtained some measure of satisfaction from his Macbook, so I recommended it to, not only as a potential switcher, but also just as a user of the hardware, Bootcamping into Windows or Linux. Others, it seems, followed upon my recommendation as the active idea. That said...

Bunnikun, with your budget, I would look at your options. Do you have legit copies of the software you're using? If so, then you are going to need to remain in whatever system you are using now. Bootcamp, using an existing Windows license would work, but you would probably want to go the route of a refurbished machine. Tallas's laptop is one, and he's had no particular complaints. Otherwise, you're probably looking at the Dell or HP laptops, which I'm sure are cheaper, but probably have a much larger footprint and might lack the kick that you could need.
  • The reason that I recommend a MacBook is the fact that they have a set, and known, hardware configuration. Everything just works. Garage Band sucks, I know, but considering it is both a laptop AND will run any(reasonable) O.S. you could want, I would think it would be the way to go. When I pick up a MacBook pro, I plan on using either OSX or Ubunutu(or Kubuntu) while at the house, or whenever I can get WiFi service, and WinXP when at work so I can tether it off of my phone(audiovox ppc6700(apache)).
  • Piliutus, how did you mess up the spacing in correcting my post? Especially when it's done for you? ^_^

All of you did bring in a few more good reasons why a Mac would be good. The only thing I would object to is the ability to switch the OS. It is probably not what Bunnikun needs at the moment, unless Bunni has some sort of weird program that she needs.
  • Thank you all for your suggestions! ^,^

I'm starting to lean towards the macbook. I think it would suit what I need best, but other suggestions are still welcome until I get a new computer. Photoshop Elements is the main program I use, but it's incredibly slow on my windows...

I just want something light, efficient, and fast. So the macbook seems to suit my needs.