This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fuck Police

edited May 2007 in Politics
'Nuff said

Vid

Comments

• Wow, GameJew was there. Rym and I watched what happened to FOX News at this rally on Digg Videos. They clubbed the FOX camera person over the head! Even FOX News said to fuck the police. that tells you something was really going wrong here.
  • The video didn't seem to work for me.
  • Wow... I could barely believe what was happening when I watched this. Something was seriously wrong with this situation.
  • edited May 2007
    Having lived here my whole life, I have to say the LAPD as a whole over-reacts frequently. It just doesn't always reach national news.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Wow. Thanks for the links, Mit.
  • Small world, I also know and meet GameJew aka Johnathan Mann.
  • Rym said:

I don't care if you are doing it to beat the system and fight the man and if you are in your rights to do so, but when you act like a dick you act like a prick and that video had lots of impersonations of male genitalia.

• I respect him for having the courage to act in exactly the prickish manner required to fight this abuse of authority. Fuck those checkpoints and the people responsible for them.

It's in no way dickish, however, to ask those people if you're free to leave, are being detained, etc... It's also in no way dickish to refuse to answer their questions.

I don't just respect him: I applaud him.
  • Rym said:

I respect him for having the courage to act in exactly the prickish manner required to fight this abuse of authority. Fuck those checkpoints and the people responsible for them.

It's in no way dickish, however, to ask those people if you're free to leave, are being detained, etc... It's also in no way dickish to refuse to answer their questions.

I don't just respect him: I applaud him.

There's was nothing applaudable in there.

It's one thing to know your rights and refuse to do or say things you are not obligated to do and then it's other to do so while acting like an total ass. He could have said something like "It's in my legal rights to not answer any of your questions unless I'm being detained for some valid reason, so am I being detained?", but instead this hero goes "Am I being detained, am I being detained, am I being detained, am I being detained.?"
    Yes you are, even in the land of free four year old are not allowed to drive cars.

I'd assume that basic human communication would be a much better tool for fighting against injustice. And maybe direct it towards those people who are responsible of such things, instead of guys who are doing their jobs, standing outside in shitty weather dealing with cunts who try to be clever for their youtube video.

• Have you ever been in a situation like that? Many times, politeness doesn't work. I have personally had to pull the exact same "Am I being detained? Am I being detained? Am I free go to?" routine multiple times in my life.

Also, those aren't police. That's DHS. They have no right to ask for ID or interrogate you in the way that a police office in a similar situation could do for the driver of a vehicle. Notice how they in every case let him go. They have to by law, because what they're doing isn't strictly legal.

More to the point, being a "dick" about it accomplishes another goal. If they would just immediately wave him through upon realizing that he was a "dick," then there wouldn't be a problem. Instead, they return dick for dick and try to threaten, intimidate, and/or illegally detain him. By being a "dick" about it, he's letting them tie up their own resources, slow down the checkpoint, and generally make this bullshit system unworkable.

If every 10th driver pulled what he's pulling, they'd have to shut these shitshow checkpoints down.
  • I think the issue is that the police can double talk you and trick you into implicating yourself. You have to repeatedly and consistently point out that they need to either arrest you, doing all that entails, risking themselves for false arrest charges, or let you go.
  • Axel said:

I think the issue is that the police can double talk you and trick you into implicating yourself. You have to repeatedly and consistently point out that they need to either arrest you, doing all that entails, risking themselves for false arrest charges, or let you go.

Yes.

Repeating it and refusing to respond to any questions, commands, or statements gives crystal clear indication that you do not consent to anything that is happening.

Seriously, if any LEO gives you any trouble (justified or not), the best thing you can do is repeat over and over "Am I being detained? Am I free to go?" and nothing else. If they say you are indeed being detained or are not free to go, tell them you want to speak to a lawyer immediately and will make no further statements until one is provided. Force them to let you go or arrest you.
  • edited June 2014
    Apsup said:

He could have said something like "It's in my legal rights to not answer any of your questions unless I'm being detained for some valid reason, so am I being detained?", but instead this hero goes "Am I being detained, am I being detained, am I being detained, am I being detained.?"
    Yes you are, even in the land of free four year old are not allowed to drive cars.

Weird. From what I saw the guy pretty much exactly what you said he should, then continued with his "Am I being detained" after the border patrol people hum-hawed around and refused to let him leave or answer the goddamn question.
    Apsup said:

I'd assume that basic human communication would be a much better tool for fighting against injustice. And maybe direct it towards those people who are responsible of such things, instead of guys who are doing their jobs, standing outside in shitty weather dealing with cunts who try to be clever for their youtube video.

It's not his fault that he has to deal with the pawns instead of the king. Doesn't mean he has to surrender his rights or that he is a dick because he refuses to do so.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • OH MY GOD the last one in the last 30 seconds is hilarious, he comes up to the check point and asks for their ID.
  • The comments on that video are disappointing at best. Although, it tells you why those checkpoints exist in the first place. Fear of "illegals" trump questioning why border agents are tens of miles inland.

@Rym Care to elaborate about these encounters? Might even make a good episode.
  • Eh, they're not that interesting. A consequence of being out late at night outside of major cities is that police wonder what you're up to. Sometimes a consequence of being seen shortly after ending an Urban Exploration run...
  • Rym said:

Also, those aren't police. That's DHS. They have no right to ask for ID or interrogate you in the way that a police office in a similar situation could do for the driver of a vehicle.

DHS does have it's own police, but they have a big honking sign on the back of their kevlar vests that say "DHS POLICE". Those guys are all Border Patrol, and their powers depend very much on where they are.
  • Rym said:

Eh, they're not that interesting. A consequence of being out late at night outside of major cities is that police wonder what you're up to. Sometimes a consequence of being seen shortly after ending an Urban Exploration run...

Any reason why you couldn't just say that you are going home from x, other than the need to keep the Man down and proving your superior American freedom?

• That assumes that the questions stop when you tell them what you are doing. This is very much a give an inch and they take a mile situation.
  • If you answer anything to them, they make implications and assumptions until they get to exert control over you. And if they can find something minor to extrapolate into a ticket, then they fill another ticket quota.

Have I ever mentioned that it's stupid the police have a ticket quota? I get it exists to try and make sure they're doing their job, but it means they go out of their way. Ridiculous.
  • Axel said:

If you answer anything to them, they make implications and assumptions until they get to exert control over you. And if they can find something minor to extrapolate into a ticket, then they fill another ticket quota.

Have I ever mentioned that it's stupid the police have a ticket quota? I get it exists to try and make sure they're doing their job, but it means they go out of their way. Ridiculous.

For the fuck sake, why haven't you people moved away yet?

If you live in an place where you have to think and treat the police as your enemy, instead of the nice guy who keeps things safe, you live in an dystopic world, that's not worth living in.

• @Axel Ticket quotas exist to raise revenue while not calling it a tax.
  • I was pulled over a few years ago for scratching my ear. This was when the cell phone while driving tickets were the new hotness in CT.

He was convinced I had been using my phone and not scratching my ear. I finally showed him the call log on my work cell phone (personal was in my jacket pocket) and after having to turn it on to show him the call log he let me go.

Normally I need only flash my utility worker ID for cops to let me go but since this was a state trooper no such luck.

Why do utility worker IDs work like magic? Because the easiest overtime there is for a police officer is to stand around directing traffic while utility workers work. Because of this police will let a utility worker slide on minor traffic violations.
  • I've only been pulled over once, and that was in a work vehicle, and only because it -is- illegal to be driving in the left lane of an interstate highway. He let me off with a warning.

But yeah, fuck any police who abuse their power.
  • All of my interactions with the police have been traffic violations and calling them because someone is either trying to break into a house or because something was stolen. Beyond that I generally avoid them whenever I can. I've had a few semi hilarious encounters with officers pulling me over though where they just do the dumbest shit and then awkwardly let me drive off with a "warning".
  • I avoid interacting with police if at all possible. On the rare occasion I must interact, I have a comfortable "hey, what's up?" demeanor. Both the aggressive "I know my rights" attitude and the timid/obedient "Yes, officer" attitude are more likely to lead to bad places. This strategy has proved successful so far with law enforcement of all shapes, sizes, and locations.
  • Apsup said:

If you live in an place where you have to think and treat the police as your enemy, instead of the nice guy who keeps things safe, you live in an dystopic world, that's not worth living in.

Welp, that's it. I guess I have to move to Mars.

• But yeah, fuck any police who abuse their power.

Which is all police that aren't detectives?
    These people are uneducated as fuck but have power so they're constantly on a power high. Yet when you ask them to assist you or carry out a law they aren't familiar with, they pass the work off to someone else or give a lame excuse.