This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110112 - Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

edited January 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we review with our guest Emily Compton the wonderful Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Scott geekbites The Walking Dead (TV), and Rym remembers the days of anime clubs as Mike Toole reminds us why we used to join them.

Download MP3

Comments

• Download MP3
    404'd
  • 404'd
    Works fine for me.
  • Works now.
  • Below is the entire text of the Constitution of the Geeknights Podcast, as it currently stands.
    No Zombies.
  • Below is the entire text of the Constitution of the Geeknights Podcast, as it currently stands.
    No Zombies.
  • edited January 2011
    Who framed Roger Rabbit is one of my favorite movies of all time. It is such a fantastic movie and everybody needs to see it at least once. For a long time I didn't even realize that the villain in this movie is Christopher "Doc Brown" Lloyd, which is something you guys didn't even talk about.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Disney and WB characters have the same amount of screen time down to the second. Bugs and Mickey enter and exit at the same time, same with Daffy and Donald, and anytime a character from one production house has a solo scene, there's another scene with the exact same length that has a character from the other house.
  • RIT Anime Club is doing okay. I'm slightly disappointed by it, because they've shown some shitty stuff, but the library seems to still be full of good stuff, although I haven't used my membership for it yet.
    Attendance is still pretty good, they still have a lot most meetings. Haven't been in a while, but it's still getting good attendance. The people in charge seem mostly cool, but their taste is...Ehhhhhhh. They showed Pumpkin Scissors, and the people in charge seemed to think it was good...
  • Attendance is still pretty good, they still have a lot most meetings. Haven't been in a while, but it's still getting good attendance. The people in charge seem mostly cool, but their taste is...Ehhhhhhh. They showed Pumpkin Scissors, and the people in charge seemed to think it was good...
    Sounds like the early years of the club where we had to fight to get them to stop showing Shoujo every week :-p
  • Attendance is still pretty good, they still have a lot most meetings. Haven't been in a while, but it's still getting good attendance. The people in charge seem mostly cool, but their taste is...Ehhhhhhh. They showed Pumpkin Scissors, and the people in charge seemed to think it was good...
    Sounds like the early years of the club where we had to fight to get them to stop showing Shoujo every week :-p
    Also, they broke a majorly important rule of running an Anime club, which is that one week they let people vote on which shows from CrunchyRoll they wanted to watch. First of all, none of the available shows were any good. This resulted in us watching a boring/weird shoujo, a weird show about a Squid Girl (that was kinda funny), a strange and ALMOST decent show about this gamer kid, and of course...Panty and Stocking. Some people on this forum think the final show is actually good, but I walked out not having a desire to continue any of those shows.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm sure I would have done a crunchyroll or Hulu night if they existed when I was president of the club. Then again we were running off of VHS fansubs.... OH MAN why am I SOOO old.. Where did my college days go... "I wish I had taken more pictures..."
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • But they still let people vote...I mean...First rule of a good anime club, it's a dictatorship. Letting people vote is a recipe for disaster. I learned this all the way back in HIGH SCHOOL Anime Club...College students running an Anime club should know better.
  • But they still let people vote...I mean...First rule of a good anime club, it's a dictatorship. Letting people vote is a recipe for disaster. I learned this all the way back in HIGH SCHOOL Anime Club...College students running an Anime club should know better.
    See we always polled people at the beginning of the year and threw out all the bad suggestions ^_^
  • edited January 2011
    Not that I'm going to the RIT Anime Club meetings anymore, but I did go to the Crunchyroll voting showing. To be fair, the whole point was to watch horrible, horrible anime, and make fun of it - they said as much at the showing itself. I'm not going because of all the bullshit drama that seems to be surrounding the club and its administration, not to mention that my friends aren't going anymore for similar reasons.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • God, what is it with anime fans and Bullshit Drama?
  • edited January 2011
    You guys are failing us. We talk up RIT in hopes that cook people will come to the school and join the RIT anime club and keep it awesome. Your supposed to get into the club and banish the BS drama we did in the early 00's you to can be placed on the path to awesome if you achieve this goal. Giving up just means you suck.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • The E-Board seems extremely inclusive. I don't intend to deal with other people's random shit. That's their bullshit. Quite frankly, I'm too busy to work at making the Anime Club better. I have a life outside of all that. I'm sad that it's not as awesome as the Golden Age of the FRC, but that is in 0 ways my problem. Also, they never polled anyone at all except that one week. There's no removing/reworking the current establishment until the end of this year, and I have too much to do to worry about it.
    So, mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • The E-Board seems extremely inclusive. I don't intend to deal with other people's random shit. That's their bullshit. Quite frankly, I'm too busy to work at making the Anime Club better. I have a life outside of all that. I'm sad that it's not as awesome as the Golden Age of the FRC, but that is in 0 ways my problem. Also, they never polled anyone at all except that one week. There's no removing/reworking the current establishment until the end of this year, and I have too much to do to worry about it.
    So, mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    No second age of Rome for you. You realize the Golden age didn't come upon us, we MADE the golden age of the RIT anime club (Of course with riding the wave of Anime fandom and late 90's good stuff and the advent of cheap fansubs and the DVD and the birth of digital fansubs...may have helped a bit).
  • Wow, we had Media Play back then. Remember going to Media Play to hang out and browse the anime section?
  • Remember going to the corpse of Media Play to pick over the ruins, lonely awful dvds, and shelving?
  • Wow, we had Media Play back then. Remember going to Media Play to hang out and browse the anime section?
    I also remember going to Media Play in Rochester to get stuff. It was great. They closed down, though...:(
  • They closed down, though...:(
    Exactly. It was the end of an anime-watching era.
  • Coulda' sworn that Who Framed Roger Rabbit was on Netflix streaming, and was even on my Instant Queue, but when I went to watch it last night it wasn't there (profound sadness.) So I added it to my DVD queue and will be receiving it at some point, probably somewhere between Step Up and Dear John (I share a queue with my significant other...) and thenI'll listen to the episode(it's always fun to hear one with the boss ^_^) .
  • Because I am forever behind on listening to these GeekNights podcasts, I just finished listening to this one today. When Rym made the "Ghibli jibblies" crack I had the best laught I've had in a few days. I needed that. (I've been sick).

As for RIT Anime Club, I'm with Scott on the thought that it would only be interesting if you rounded up a bunch of old heads. I do have a soft spot though for listening to people reminisce about college organizations because I lived a crazy four years myself of juggling e-board roles, so it'd be really cool if you could get that sort of roundtable podcast together. It's ALWAYS dissapointing to look at the current situation though. This is the first year I haven't gone back to my old school(I graduated in 2006), but while a piece of me will always miss those awesome college days, I no longer miss going back. It's such a transient experience because the population turns over so fast. What is there today can never be what I had.

On the topic of preservation of media in the mid-late 1900's, aren't there even 1 or 2 early Superbowls that weren't even recorded? Put that in perspective. One of the biggest TV events ever wasn't even saved when it first started.

Having Emily on the episode was really cool. You made a great trio!
  • On the topic of preservation of media in the mid-late 1900's, aren't there even 1 or 2 early Superbowls that weren't even recorded? Put that in perspective. One of the biggest TV events ever wasn't even saved when it first started.
    NFL Super Bowl I-XL Collector's Set
    This video box set does not contain full length video of every Super Bowl. That would be an insanely large box set the equivalent of 50 3-hour movies. However, it does contain highlights of every single Super Bowl. How can they have highlights of every Super Bowl if there wasn't video of all of them?
  • Photo slideshows?
  • Photo slideshows?
  • I spoke too broadly. Someone there obviously recorded pieces of it and saved it. Those are the NFL Films archival clips you are showing here. What I was referring to is the actual game broadcast, which the networks recorded and then promptly taped over. Here is the story:
    Much to the dismay of television historians, all known broadcast tapes which recorded the game in its entirety were subsequently destroyed in a process of wiping, the reusing of videotape by taping over previous content, by both networks. This was due to the idea that the game wasn't going to become what it did, plus videotapes were extremely expensive back then. This has prevented contrast and compare studies of how each network handled their respective coverage. Despite this, television and sports archivists remain on the lookout, and at least two small samples of the telecast survive: a recording of Max McGee's opening touchdown and Jim Taylor's first touchdown run (Packers' second touchdown), both were shown on HBO's 1991 two-part sports documentary, Play by Play: A History of Sports Television.

NFL Films had a camera crew present, and retains a substantial amount of film footage in its archives, some of which has been released for home video and cable presentations.