This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How the fuck do I whisper or PM?

13»

Comments

• Also, Google and Wikipedia are your friends - run a search at both on topics where you might need info and then read up on them before posting, otherwise you'll get lmgtfy links in addition to the snarky comments.
    This. This. This.

It's not that we don't like helping, it's just that if it's something fairly simple that can be answered by using Google or Wikipedia, you should do so.
    What is Google?
    You see how you keep leaving big chunks between quoted text and your comment? It's really annoying for those reading on small screens, as is addressed in the Rules and Hints sticky thread. That you are posting in a way that is heavily suggested against in that thread makes me think you don't give a shit.

First, try giving a shit, then we'll help you all you want.
  • Also, Google and Wikipedia are your friends - run a search at both on topics where you might need info and then read up on them before posting, otherwise you'll get lmgtfy links in addition to the snarky comments.
    This. This. This.

It's not that we don't like helping, it's just that if it's something fairly simple that can be answered by using Google or Wikipedia, you should do so.
    What is Google?
    You see how you keep leaving big chunks between quoted text and your comment? It's really annoying for those reading on small screens, as is addressed in the Rules and Hints sticky thread. That you are posting in a way that is heavily suggested against in that thread makes me think you don't give a shit.

First, try giving a shit, then we'll help you all you want.
    Wow. first of all. Dicky comment. I didn't realise I was doing it. And if you would like someone to do something you ask, you can try asking/telling them nicely. There was no need for telling me to "give a shit" I am all for joking around and ribbing people. But saying stuff like that is uncalled for. So from now on I will do as requested. I thought I had to start a new line after quoting someone or it would start my comment right after their quote. Other forums I have been a member of this is the case. So again I am super sorry. Basically I am saying be nice to noobs. I AM TRYING TO GIVE A SHIT. That is why I am asking questions. Thanks Luke. You have been very helpful.
  • Dude. I can't drink. I am an addict. I have had more alcohol and substance in my 28 years then most people have in their entire lives.
    My uncle is a "recovered" heroin addict, meaning that he's just an alcoholic now. Good on you for getting clean.

If reading the thread would invoke temptation, then you should obviously stay away. I'm not saying you should read it to learn about booze; I was suggesting you read it because it contains a very recent example of a "heated" argument among multiple forumites on a topic where there are differing and strong opinions. It shows how much shit we give each other. That's the only reason I suggested it.

There are other threads that showcase our tendencies to be somewhat harsh to each other; the liquor thread was just the most recent one that sprang to mind.
  • edited September 2010
    See there are some new members who join more like regular people and start talking. When I didn't know how to whisper, I searched the rules and such until I found my answer, for example. Those people don't get this sort of ribbing.

But you have openly made a spectacle of yourself. This thread is the equivalent of rolling in BBQ sauce before merrily prancing into starving-bear-meadow. Scratching your head, or even getting angry, over the nature of your responses is only adding honey to the sauce. Also yeah, you have been coming off as something of a dick.

Lesson? "How the fuck do I ____?" is not a good first topic if you don't want negative attention. If you didn't know how to use an elevator, would you stand in the building lobby yelling "How the fuck do I go up" and think it was a good way to get an answer? Would you be surprised if people laughed at you?
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • OK. Bad example with the elevator. How would I be able to stand around and "see" people whisper? Again I am sorry. Many of the forums I have joined have had a clear "pm", or if you will "whisper" button. I AM SORRY. If I have offended people I am seriously seriously sorry. I wish I could have done things differently. My question was answered quickly but then I was ribbed and made fun of. One can not expect me to retaliate. I wish it was different. I AM SORRY. I hope from now on we can put this behind up and start fresh and be friends. If anyone posts in this thread you are continuing the situation. I can only say sorry so many times. I AM SORRY!
  • Tim, calm down. Nobody cares if you are sorry or not. Nobody cares that you didn't understand how the forum works. There is only one person this is effecting in the slightest. You.

All of your whining after the fact has no impact on anyone. You've been here for maybe a day and half. That's hardly a blip in many of the forumites who have been chatting here for five years. I didn't even bother reading this thread until it reached two pages long.
  • I heard about a barrage of shit in this thread. Since I'm restocking I thought I should collect from here, but I see no shit, or barrages for that matter. Could you please not phone me prank calls? Thank you very much, have a good day. Don't trip over the door step.
  • Can I 'whisper' a new discussion to multiple recipients?

It seems there is a char limit on the 'to' field.
  • "[Name], [Name]" doesn''t work?
  • It would if I hadn't run out of characters. I wanted to whisper to three people
  • From the documentation :

A whisper is a private message that can only be seen by two people.

Oh well.
  • edited January 2011
    Forums are for open discussions. If you want a private discussion, just use something else, like e-mail. If you want to know someone's e-mail address, check their forum profile, check IDShare, or just ask them.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Quite. Whispers are a convenience, but many people overuse them. Twitter has the same problem with the direct messages. It's like people forget that email and IM exist.
  • Quite. Whispers are a convenience, but many people overuse them. Twitter has the same problem with the direct messages. It's like people forget that email and IM exist.
    The main reason I allow whispers is that they have one clever use, which is that you can whisper inside of a public thread. The added context of whispering inside of a larger discussion makes it worthwhile. I really don't think you should be making entire threads of whisper, but I didn't write that code. It's just there.
  • I really don't think you should be making entire threads of whisper, but I didn't write that code. It's just there.
    A surprising number of (unnamed) people who have my phone number, email address, and Google chat ID make whisper threads in the forum to communicate with me and me alone...
  • I really don't think you should be making entire threads of whisper, but I didn't write that code. It's just there.
    A surprising number of (unnamed) people who have my phone number, email address, and Google chat ID make whisper threads in the forum to communicate with me and me alone...
    Honestly, you could probably get in contact with me more quickly on the forum than by e-mail.
  • People should also know that I can just go look at the database and see every whisper. I haven't, but I could.
  • Honestly, you could probably get in contact with me more quickly on the forum than by e-mail.
    Most all emails to me hit my smartphone immediately. I check my email in full three times a day every day minimum. Email hits me faster than SMS most of the time.
  • People should also know that I can just go look at the database and see every whisper. I haven't, but I could.
    I'm not concerned, because any information I put in a whisper, I pretty much do so with the implicit assumption that you and Rym will be able to read it too, at any time, for any reason.
  • A surprising number of (unnamed) people who have my phone number, email address, and Google chat ID make whisper threads in the forum to communicate with me and me alone...
    There was a time Rym where you never picked up your phone and your voicemail was full..
  • There was a time Rym where you never picked up your phone and your voicemail was full..
    Yeah, talking. But had you SMSed me, I would have responded immediately. Or emailed me. Or IM'd me.
  • Yeah, talking. But had you SMSed me, I would have responded immediately. Or emailed me. Or IM'd me.
    Personally, I have a bizarre matrix in my head based on urgency and priority that determines what mode of communication I use.
  • edited January 2011
    I love smartphones because, to me, they make such a matrix meaningless. Skype, IMs, Facebook, emails, forums, SMS, MMS, phonecalls, voicemails, they all come to one place, and from there I can choose my response medium. If I don't feel like talking, leave me a voicemail. Unless you need a voice conversation, I can email, IM, or SMS you back stat.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The main reason I allow whispers is that they have one clever use, which is that you can whisper inside of a public thread. The added context of whispering inside of a larger discussion makes it worthwhile.
    This is 99% of what I've used the "whisper" function for. And about 80% of those were just snarky comments.
    A surprising number of (unnamed) people who have my phone number, email address, and Google chat ID
    You know, I think I have those too, even though we've only met in person a handful of times.

In short, use the proper medium of communication for the type and immediacy of the data you want to convey.
  • In short,use the proper medium of communication for the type and immediacy of the data you want to convey.
    I think that most people don't know, and can't figure out, the proper medium.

For example, how many times do people post computer help questions here? Sure, odds are there is someone who can help here, because we are nerds. However, it is a much better idea to post such a thing on superuser, stackoverflow, serverfault, etc. It's not just here. In just about every community you see the same topics appearing again and again. Every forum I've ever been on whether it's about comic books, video games, a podcast, etc. has people asking for computer help, people posting pictures of their pets, etc.

Post things in the proper places, and then use the magic of the link to spread it around. That is the way of the Interwebs.