This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's sooo hot (I.E. Weather bitch thread)

Comments

• Computer reports it is 7F outside.
  • Albany checking in with -11. Make that -25 with wind chill. But don't despair, it's supposed to warm up all the way to 9 today!
  • yea it was 7 degrees this morning as well.. icky
  • 45 degrees. A bit rainy. >_____> I might have to switch to lighter blankets now because I wake up kinda sweaty.
  • 10f right now. I live in Virginia!! What the fuck???
    SO TRUE.
  • My poor little Fit protested the cold quite extensively this morning. I've never actually been worried that it might not start until today.

Today has earned Pete's stamp of "cold."
  • I went into work an hour later simply because 9F sounded really unpleasant to walk in. 21F an hour later was much better.
  • It's very cold, but at least it's above 0F. Below that is when I use the term bitter.
  • I went into work an hour later simply because 9F sounded really unpleasant to walk in. 21F an hour later was much better.
    I am glad that some people took that approach when driving, since the roads were mostly clear at 6:00 a.m in 66 and 495. 45 min from Manassas, Va to Rockville, MD :D
  • It's been so cold this past weekend that the 10-day forecast actually had the word FRIGID written over Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I will have to take their word for it because I haven't been outside for two days. I'm just glad it's warming up this afternoon, when I have class. Into the 20s tonight, woohoo!
  • While I would not consider it "bitterly" cold, it is quite fucking cold. The latter is defined by an uncontrollable mental stream of obscenities that begins and ends with travel outside in the cold.
  • While I would not consider it "bitterly" cold, it is quitefuckingcold. The latter is defined by an uncontrollable mental stream of obscenities that begins and ends with travel outside in the cold.
    I wore flannel pajama pants under my work pants today and wrapped a scarf around my head. Rather unexpectedly, my feet were cold. :(
  • Apparently, it was -42 at Fort Drum (in the mountains of Jefferson County in NY) this morning. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as arctic.
  • I really, really hate it when people say things like, "Well, it's cold. I guess that means that global warming is a hoax."

I don't like the idea of climate change either, but a couple of cold days, or even cold months do not mean that climate change isn't happening.
  • I really, really hate it when people say things like, "Well, it's cold. I guess that means that global warming is a hoax."
    What's really hurting the issue is the phrase "global warming." I've started using "global climate change" or "global climate destabilization" when I need to explain it to a lay person. "Global warming" tells us that our weather patterns will become increasingly erratic over time, not just that they'll trend in one particular direction.

But people hear "global warming," and without any additional information, assume that it means things will always get warmer. Science is fun!
  • edited January 2011
    I really, really hate it when people say things like, "Well, it's cold. I guess that means that global warming is a hoax."
    What's really hurting the issue is the phrase "global warming." I've started using "global climate change" or "global climate destabilization" when I need to explain it to a lay person. "Global warming" tells us that our weather patterns will become increasingly erratic over time, not just that they'll trend in one particular direction.

But people hear "global warming," and without any additional information, assume that it means things will always get warmer. Science is fun!
    A person tried to tell me the other day that a two degree increase if average global temperature wouldn't mean that much, because the net result would be an increase in his local yearly average temperature from 66 to 68 degrees F.

I told him that it didn't really matter that much to me that he didn't seem to understand that global changes in average temperature could throw the jet stream or the gulf stream out of kilter, resulting in a much greater local change than two degrees, but that I was somewhat appalled that he could think that a global average change would result in exactly the same local average change. That's just grammar school arithmetic, not complicated global weather.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • That's just grammar school arithmetic, not complicated global weather.
    Welcome to the world of the scientist. I recommend scotch.

Yes, it really is quite alarming. This is why I focus on critical thinking education.
  • Yes, it really is quite alarming. This is why I focus on critical thinking education.
    Doesn't help that no one gets any statistics teaching until college.
  • 4 °F

That is all.
  • 4 °F
    Warmed up has it?
  • It's gone all the way down to 47°F here! Madness!
  • It's gone all the way down to 47°F here! Madness!
    I know, right? They're calling for a high of 49 for the next week here! It is too cold!
  • It's 8° here...

Celsius that is.
  • A pretty balmy -1 C in NYC, with not too much wind. It's gonna snow all week.
  • NYC is actually having a legitimate snowfall right now. My classmates seem to be convinced that we won't have school tomorrow.

Also, myself two hours ago, on NYC's reaction to snow:
    What the fuck. There's like 3 inches of snow on Broadway. Where are the snowplows? They don't run this late? Who the fuck is in charge of dealing with snow in this city?
    I guess living in Rochester has spoiled me.
  • High of 49 today in North Carolina. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

But seriously, there were thunder snow storms in Maryland yesterday. Think about what that is and proceed to shit your pants.
  • But seriously, there were thunder snow storms in Maryland yesterday. Think about what that is and proceed to shit your pants.
    There was Thundersnow in PA as well..it was awesome ^_^
  • There is a section of wall above my sink that is suffering severe water damage due to the massive ice accumulation on the roof.

So I called my landlady's son (who built the house) and he said, "Shit, I thought I had that problem licked. Well, nothing we can do about it till the snow goes away."

This is what I have to look forward to when I own my own house up here.
  • This is what I have to look forward to when I own my own house up here.
    Trivial to avoid with proper maintenance and a good roof. ;^)
  • This is what I have to look forward to when I own my own house up here.
    Trivial to avoid with proper maintenance and a good roof. ;^)
    Or a modern high quality house.