This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mixers and Microphones (old title: Snowflake vs Snowball)

edited August 2008 in Technology
I just finished a computer repair job, So I'll be getting paid soon. As a result, There's a good chance I'll be buying either a Blue Snowball or a Blue Snowflake. It's a tough call because while the Snowflake is small and can hook onto my laptop screen, The Snowball is a condenser Mic. I could buy either, but if having a condenser mic isn't really important for podcasting, I wont bother and just get the snowflake.

Any audio pros or podcasters care to weigh in?

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Get an SM 57 or 58.

[Edit] Unless the only reason you want a Snowball is because it's USB. In which case there are better solutions. If you're going to spend 100 bucks on a mic, you're screwing yourself on a mic that only works with a computer. The Snowball would be a nice mic for podcasting only, but something like an SM58 can be used for many more applications including live sound, studio recording, and podcasting for the rest of your life. Why limit yourself?

By the way, the difference between condenser and dynamic microphones don't matter for podcasting.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited August 2008
    It's because its USB and that makes it hellishly easier to use with my computer. I'd love to have a nice firewire mixer that I can connect XLR mics to and fiddle with the knobs, but I don't get a lot of money that often and god forbid it ever breaks.

Okay, so if condenser and dynamic mics don't matter for podcasting, and since I don't play any acoustic instruments, the snowflake then? Oh, but what about singing? I'd like to record some vocals for my next album. Would it make a difference then?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • You could get an XLR to USB adapter but if you've already got your heart set on these mics, then I'd say the Snowball simply because it is a better quality mic which will be important for vocals.
  • Ah, shit. I just looked at how much my textbooks are gonna cost this year. Snowflake it is.
  • Nearly two and a half years later and my snowflake is still going strong, but I've spread my wings a bit. I'm a DJ now but my old school mixer is starting to fail.

SO! I'm in the market for a new mixer and probably a microphone as well. I'm definitely getting an SM-57/58, but I need a mixer with at least two XLR inputs, phantom power, and USB. I've been considering the Alesis Multimix 4 USB, but some people are saying that it makes some line noise. There is also the multimix 6, which is only a few bucks more expensive for some reason...

Opinions? Recommendations?
  • Eww USB.
  • edited January 2011
    I don't really know what mixer specifically I would buy, but I know that when I DJ, I prefer to have a slider on the Crossfader and the Line Volume rather than a knob.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Eww USB.
    What's wrong with USB?
    I don't really know what mixer specifically I would buy, but I know that when I DJ, I prefer to have a slider on the Crossfader and the Line Volume rather than a knob.
    I do all that stuff in my dj-ing program. I'm really looking for a mixer to use with audition.
  • Eww USB.
    What's wrong with USB?
    Lo-fi, man.
  • edited January 2011
    What? It's digital. What would you suggest, Firewire?
  • Are there any Ethernet mics? If so, that would be cool.
  • I know that some POD units use ethernet cables, but why would you want to use it for anything musical?
  • If it's gonna be digital anyway, you might as well use the fastest common port.
  • edited January 2011
    Get a normal mixer, output to your computer's soundcard. That's all. Using USB just adds extra opportunities for something to fuck up. Don't use digital unless it's an audio interface, which is basically just an external soundcard.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • If it's gonna be digital anyway, you might as well use the fastest common port.
    Ideally you'd use an optical output from the mixer to a soundcard but you'd be better off with USB if you're using a laptop.
  • edited January 2011
    Get a normal mixer, output to your computer's soundcard. That's all. Using USB just adds extra opportunities for something to fuck up. Don't use digital unless it's an audio interface, which is basically just an external soundcard.
    This is very true, unless you are getting a system with integrated software for your mixer with flying faders and stuff, it is not worth going digital IMHO, analogue is fine for most thing and you can always change it in post production.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • You also will never have a problem with latency using the method I suggested, unless your soundcard is broken or something. Even my fancy M-Audio box with Firewire 800 ports occasionally will slip up and cause some delay. I'd be highly dubious of any cheap, random USB mixer's ability to handle latency.
  • Okay guys. I use Audition. I want two XLR ports. I WANT TO MULTITRACK!
  • Price range?
  • PreSonus Firewire. Get the cheapest one they make.
  • PreSonus Firewire. Get the cheapest one they make.
    Even though it doesn't have that cool mixer look, that looks to be exactly what I need. At $250, though, it's a bit more than I initially expected.
  • Even though it doesn't have that cool mixer look, that looks to be exactly what I need. At $250, though, it's a bit more than I initially expected.
    I have a mixer as well. You can upgrade later with an analog mixer and have the various outputs from it hit different channels on the Firewire device.
  • edited January 2011
    Alright, well then, I'll probably be taking a trip to Sam Ash this weekend.
  • Looking to upgrade from the mic my mom bought for podcasting to a half-decent music recording interface. I've got a bit of money saved up for projects like this, so I ask you if the advice in this thread is still valid five years later or if I should look for something else.
  • edited February 2016
    Well, SM57s and 58s are still pretty fucking great, and still pretty much bombproof. Not sure about this kind of mixer, not something I know about. Unless you want to buy a real fucker of a mixer, in which case, Behringer X32s are fucking beast.
    Post edited by Churba on