This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Uncanny Valley

edited January 2011 in Technology
I'm not sure if this has been posted, but the new Rockstar game is introducing some new tech that is quite astounding.
aL9wsEFohTw

Are we finally reaching the end of the uncanny valley?

Comments

• Man, Rockstar has shitloads of money.
  • Holy fuck that is cool.
  • Are we finally reaching the end of the uncanny valley?
    No. While the faces look great, the rest of the movements the characters make in their cut scenes aren't on par. As much as I want to play this game I've very concerned that the difference in facial animation fidelity to the body animation/modeling/texturing fidelity is going to keep pulling me out of the experience. They've obviously sacrificed the quality of the rest of the body to put all the processing time into the facial stuff.
  • edited January 2011
    No. While the faces look great, the rest of the movements the characters make in their cut scenes aren't on par. As much as I want to play this game I've very concerned that the difference in facial animation fidelity to the body animation/modeling/texturing fidelity is going to keep pulling me out of the experience. They've obviously sacrificed the quality of the rest of the body to put all the processing time into the facial stuff.
    I'm not saying this game specifically will surpass the valley, but will we see similar technology used to that effect in the near future? Is it even possible to reach that point?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • From what I can tell, they are essentially projecting the recorded actor's face onto their character models through a mix of mesh morphing and texturing. So this doesn't even attempt to solve the uncanny valley problem, any more than recording a real actor on a 2D plane* does; it just sidesteps the whole issue.

*What some of you older types might call a "movie" or a "talkie"