This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Let's Freak Out!

edited January 2011 in Everything Else
So, I assume everyone worries about something at some point, and maybe you need to get it off your chest. Let's do that here, if you don't mind sharing.

I've just started thinking heavily about what I want to do after high school, and have a plan mapped out for what I'd like to do and how to obtain my goals, all while keeping a hold of my website and updating it like normal. The one thing my mind keeps hanging up on and worrying about? Furnishing an apartment.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm currently obsessed with planning and figuring out where I'll get my stuff, home much it will cost, and how I'll arrange everything. What will I dooooo?

Your turn.

Comments

• If you'd have asked me a few months ago, I'd have a huge list, but since then everything seems to have worked itself out. I'm quite content with the way things are going and I really don't feel like I have anything to worry about.
  • What will I dooooo?
    Be a craigslist sniper.

For me it's dealing with my debt and the potential of losing my job due to a bad economy.
  • potential of losing my job due to a bad economy.
    Oh mans, I'm worrying about my mom, too. She's a teacher in Austin, and the education finding got cut, so I'm worried that she won't get to keep her job next year. She isn't bilingual-certified, which makes me think if her school gets cut for teachers, she'll be first even though she has amillion times more experience and better state test grades.
  • What will I dooooo?
    Prowl around your uni in a truck. People throw out all kinds of perfectly good furniture. Make sure to check apartment complexes they tend to throw all the sitables every few years and it may still be fine (beware pee couch though).
  • The only thing that keeps me up at night is the possibility that the company I work for will run out of money and close, forcing me to move back home with my parents while I find another job that I will not like as much.

On the other hand, I also think a lot about moving into a better apartment assuming the company is successful in the coming months. Pretty much two sides of the same coin.
  • edited January 2011
    I've just started thinking heavily about what I want to do after high school, and have a plan mapped out for what I'd like to do and how to obtain my goals, all while keeping a hold of my website and updating it like normal. The one thing my mind keeps hanging up on and worrying about? Furnishing an apartment.
    Are you going to college? College town apartments often come furnished. Mine has two microsuede sofas. Oh yes. All I brought was an extra coffee table (so I could use the provided one for my TV) and a bunch of bookshelves.

I'm pretty much just "worried" about boosting my resume and getting research positions and internships in a timely manner, but that's not so much a "worry" as a "thing to be working on at all times." So yeah.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • What will I dooooo?
    Be a craigslist sniper.
    This, or if moving to a college town, find graduating students who are looking to dump furniture. My entire apartment in college was furnished for free with the exception of a few cheapass particle-board shelves.

My biggest worry right now is finding a paying job for the summer, even a part time one. I did a little math and figured out that I have to make money this summer. I also missed the deadline to apply for our school's grants because it coincided with 3 other things I was preoccupied with. I hope I can find something.
  • I'm worried that I'll keep working at this job throughout college and my parents will keep on siphoning money from me to keep themselves afloat while dad keeps trying to make his "investment plans" work, everyday complaining that he gets nothing done, never leaving me enough to save up to move out. I quash it because I trust my parents, but the it's always with me, gnawing at me; a dull pain that persists with every moment I'm awake because I worry that, maybe, I trust my parents more than I ought to.
  • Ron Paul is Chairman of the House Monetary Policy Committee. We are doomed.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm worried that I'll keep working at this job throughout college and my parents will keep on siphoning money from me to keep themselves afloat while dad keeps trying to make his "investment plans" work, everyday complaining that he gets nothing done, never leaving me enough to save up to move out. I quash it because I trust my parents, but the it's always with me, gnawing at me; a dull pain that persists with every moment I'm awake because I worry that, maybe, I trust my parents more than I ought to.
    Fake a pay cut. Funnel the difference into a high-interest slush fund account in your name; don't tell anyone who wants money from you about it. Do your own taxes; make sure to declare every penny from both accounts but make sure no one with a vested interest in your income sees your filings. All refunds go to the slush account. Wait till the fund gets big enough and then jet.

I don't know tax code, but it might also be possible to claim your family members as dependents. Look into that, too.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Everybody freak the fuck out

imageimageimage
  • Super serious...

In other super serious news
  • I sometimes worry about my department relocating in a year to Las Vegas. I won't necessarily lose my job. I'm a vested government employee, so it has security. I can apply for the jobs that are staying here, in which I'm the most qualified person for that job. Overall, I'm mostly concerned about the uncertainty of what I'll be doing. I do enjoy where I work and with most of the people I work with. Not a day goes by where I don't have a good laughing session with close coworkers or a practical joke is played. It makes the job a lot easier.

My biggest concern is my father. His heart disease is getting worse. Medication can only do so much, and it's only a matter of time before his heart can't take it anymore. It could be months or years. I'm the only child here; my brothers are out of state or overseas. I'm constantly making sure my father's medications are set up for the month and in contact with all his physicians.

I try to talk to my mother about making sure we have all the arrangements taken care of when he does pass. My mother says it's bad luck to talk about that and doesn't want to talk about it and starts to cry when we do. I feel most if not all the responsibility is on my shoulders to take care of these things because I'm the only child here and my mother is always caught up in her job. I have no problem doing this, but at times it can be pretty stressful along with my own personal responsibilities and stress.

My father does what he can. He has his issues dealing with all of this. I know he's afraid. I wish he can accept it and try to live the rest of his days happy. All I can do is just be there to support my parents and do whatever I can.

/end freak out
  • Ron Paul isChairmanof the House Monetary Policy Committee. We are doomed.
    Personally, the guy looked like a genius when everything he's been raising hell about for the past twenty plus years turned out to be the root cause of the 2008 collapse. Sure most of his views are idealist and impractical but when I hear people bitch about Ron Paul they often have some deranged view of who the guy actually is.
  • I'm worried that I'll keep working at this job throughout college and my parents will keep on siphoning money from me to keep themselves afloat while dad keeps trying to make his "investment plans" work, everyday complaining that he gets nothing done, never leaving me enough to save up to move out. I quash it because I trust my parents, but the it's always with me, gnawing at me; a dull pain that persists with every moment I'm awake because I worry that, maybe, I trust my parents more than I ought to.
    I know several people who have been in your exact situation and I can't understand it. I know that family is supposed to mean something, but I have zero respect for people who leech off of their kids. These are just people that birthed you, through the miracle of science, and I would cut their asses off and go independent. See you on the holidays.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm worried that I'll keep working at this job throughout college and my parents will keep on siphoning money from me to keep themselves afloat while dad keeps trying to make his "investment plans" work, everyday complaining that he gets nothing done, never leaving me enough to save up to move out. I quash it because I trust my parents, but the it's always with me, gnawing at me; a dull pain that persists with every moment I'm awake because I worry that, maybe, I trust my parents more than I ought to.
    I know several people who have been in your exact situation and I can't understand it. I know that family is supposed to mean something, but I have zero respect for people who leech off of their kids. These are just people that birthed you, through the miracle of science, and I would cut their asses off and go independent. See you on the holidays.
    You try even thinking that when you have a five year old brother and you know that your paycheck helps keep food on the table, clothes on his back, and a roof over his head. I would kill for my brother and if I have to get some more grey hairs now and worry about money when I'm older, I'll deal with it. Never turn your back on your family because when the chips are down and your back is up against the wall, you need to know that there is someone out there who will always have your back and who will be there in that corner fighting with you. I may question my dad's financial thinking, but I never question his love for me or our loyalty to each other.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Ah yes the little sibling conundrum. Don't have one myself so can't speak from experience but I totally understand your logic now.
  • Thanks for the tips, guys. It really helped me chill out.

Sonic, I'm sorry to hear that about you. I wish there was some easy way to deal with this, or some amazing advice I could give, but sadly I can't give you that. :/

Also, now I've become really focused on banks. I'm starting to have more money as of late, and I don't want all of it in my wallet, so I've been thinking about getting a checking/saving account. The thing is, I'm really uneducated at this. I'm trying to work out my ignorance with my mom, but we both have no idea what I need in a bank account.
  • Any bank works. Just make sure there aren't any recurring fees.
  • Most banks have some form of student checking that is incredibly fee-friendly. Other than making sure you won't get hit with fees, just pick the one closest to your house so you can easily make deposits when needed. These are the sorts of reasons you could get fees for:
    - Regular recurring fee (Rym mentions above)
    - Not maintaining a minimum balance (student checking is not likely to have a minimum or a very high one)
    - Overdraft (some student checking actually gives an overdraft forgiveness allowance)
    - Fee for using non-bank ATMs. (This is not a fee from the ATM, but a fee form the bank itself. Even if you go to a free ATM at a convenience store you will still get the bank fee, which is bullshit. Avoid these banks)
  • Overdraft (some student checking actually gives an overdraft forgiveness allowance)
    You shouldn't worry if they have an overdraft fee. Instead, just don't be a moron and never ever overdraft. It's that simple.
  • You shouldn't worry if they have an overdraft fee. Instead, just don't be a moron and never ever overdraft. It's that simple.
    I'm sure you never needed car insurance because you were never going to back into a car... Oh wait.
  • Overdraft (some student checking actually gives an overdraft forgiveness allowance)
    You shouldn't worry if they have an overdraft fee. Instead, just don't be a moron and never ever overdraft. It's that simple.
    That's a pretty moronic stance. I'll never be in a position to overdraft, but when I was a high school student with my first checking account and not much balance in there? Yeah that shit could have happened. Regardless of how intelligent you are, it doesn't mean it could never happen, it just means it's much less likely. Why not take free protection if it is offered to you?
  • - Fee for using non-bank ATMs. (This is not a fee from the ATM, but a fee form the bank itself. Even if you go to a free ATM at a convenience store you will still get the bank fee, which is bullshit. Avoid these banks)
    Simplest solution, go buy a pack of gum or something cheap at a grocery store get cash back. However, certain stores have a maximum of cash back. Know those maximums.

Normally for college students they offer student credit cards. If you're up to getting a credit card it would be a good idea to start building your credit and have it linked to your checking account for overdraft protection.

Don't just get a savings account. Savings account are just for savings period. Know the regulations of your bank. FYI, a lot of people don't know they are only allowed 6 electronic transactions a month for a savings account. If you go over, you are in violation of Reg D. You may get charged a fine. That's what checking accounts are for.

Pretty much what everyone else says. Banks are convenient because of locations, but there are also credit unions that are on credit union networks that allow you to do transactions at different credit unions around the nation. Credit unions are also nice because sometimes their rates are a bit higher than banks.

Also if the bank/credit union doesn't have easy online banking, don't go with them.
  • Why not take free protection if it is offered to you?
    Just a note, there are two options of overdraft fees that you can be hit with. One is 35 dollars an occurrence and the other is 15 dollars a day (at least at my bank but I think it's required by law to be similar). The new one is the 15 dollars a day however since my credit account only has large withdraws and very little small ones I go with the 35 dollars an occurrence, because it takes then 2 to 3 days for the letter saying you over-drafted to reach your house costing you somewhere between 30-45 dollars...however if you use the account a lot then you might want to go per day, because per occurrence can add up quickly.
  • That's a pretty moronic stance. I'll never be in a position to overdraft, but when I was a high school student with my first checking account and not much balance in there? Yeah that shit could have happened. Regardless of how intelligent you are, it doesn't mean it could never happen, it just means it's much less likely. Why not take free protection if it is offered to you?
    This is why I don't sign up automatic bill payments. Lets say I get paid on Thursday, but Verizon, Time Warner, and National Grid all take their payments out on a Monday. End result: I'm fucked.