This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PSP 2

edited January 2011 in Technology
I bought the PSP the week it came out in Japan (via a very lucky friend), and man was it a brilliant piece of hardware. Sadly it remained just that. Too few good games, too locked down, PSN support waaaaaaaay too late. If SONY would have had downloadable games and a good web browser on the PSP from the start they could have scooped the iPhone by two and a half years.

Alas, I was burned by the schizophrenic nature of SONY's company, where the division making some of the most awesome and high quality hardware in the market is gimped by the content divisions ass nuggetry.

/rant

So anyway: quad core cpu, 960 by 544 OLED touch screen, 3G, cameras, tilt/gyro/compass sensor, GPS, WiFi, etc, etc.

I'm drooling already, but I have sat in SONY's golden cage before and let me tell you, it is much more roomy in Apple's cage. Is anybody seriously considering buying this? I'd be hard pressed to buy this even if it were less than a hundred bucks.

Comments

• I'm certainly interested in it, and I think the multi-touch pad on the back of the device is the most interesting thing. It will really depend on the price of the thing if I'll pick it up.
  • My first though was how awesome this will be with emulators.
  • I might get it eventually, like how I got the PSP eventually, but I kind of doubt it. I only have 4 games for my PSP and I've had it for 2 years at this point.
  • If they just released it as an open platform, I would pay the 3DS price of $250. Granted, if the 3DS were open, I would do the same thing. Yeah, it will be cracked, but it's pointless to develop for a cracked platform. Seeing as it will have almost no worthwhile games, not interested.
  • edited January 2011
    You know what, my big problem I have with the PSP2 is that it probably won't even fit into one of my pants pockets. My PSP 2000 barely fits and the PSP2 is even bigger than that one.

EDIT: Goddamn, that thing is huge:
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited January 2011
    I think the touch pad is a good move. Developers have already got a pretty good hand on touch and it's should make menu's easier.

As someone with really big hands, I appreciate this move towards more palm-filling hardware.
    Also, why is the DXL not on there?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • It definitely interests me, but it will come down to a couple factors:

1) Price ($250 or lower, I'd much sooner buy a multi-use device like this for that amount than a 3DS)
    2) Quality of download service (since there's no obvious UMD slot on here, I'm guessing it's going 100% downloadable games, which is great, but the PSN interaction has to be there; I hope it will be better implemented than it was on the PSP)
    3) Battery life (even with a PSP-3000 like I have, the battery drains faster than an iPhone, and much faster than a DS, this needs to improve a little)

As long as those three things are competent, I will definitely get this at some point, maybe a year in.
  • 1) Price ($250 or lower, I'd much sooner buy a multi-use device like this for that amount than a 3DS)
    I'm expecting it to be at least $300.
  • If it's open, I'll get it.

But it won't be.
  • 2) Quality of download service (since there's no obvious UMD slot on here, I'm guessing it's going 100% downloadable games, which is great, but the PSN interaction has to be there; I hope it will be better implemented than it was on the PSP)
    Supposedly, it's going to be Memory Sticks.
  • According to Game Stop, the system is fucking expensive. This isn't the official price, but that is still a ridiculous number.
  • Memory sticks!? Fuck that. I'm never buying this piece of shit.
  • You know what I hate about the system? The menu. The Crossbar menu system is one of the best menu systems ever. Why go to the weird bubble thing? There are ways that the Crossbar could be made more touch friendly if that really is the reason.
  • I like how the Gamestop site already has two reviews for the NGP.
  • edited January 2011
    Memory sticks!? Fuck that. I'm never buying this piece of shit.
    Memory sticks rock! They are small, can't be scratched, have virtually no loading times and are very power efficient.

Besides, it's just one tiny aspect of the PSP2. If you don't want to buy one at least make it for a good reason, like price, or shitty games.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • It's totally a good reason. SD cards have all those qualities, but aren't proprietary and thus aren't price jacked through the roof. Only Sony devices use MSPro Duos, so they cost a ton. Even the 3DS is rumored to use SD cards.

Also, its huge, no gaems announced yet, my DS has better games, and I own an iPhone for everything else. Sony's portable business is looking dead in the water.
  • It's totally a good reason. SD cards have all those qualities, but aren't proprietary and thus aren't price jacked through the roof. Only Sony devices use MSPro Duos, so they cost a ton. Even the 3DS is rumored to use SD cards.

Also, its huge, no gaems announced yet, my DS has better games, and I own an iPhone for everything else. Sony's portable business is looking dead in the water.
    I think the 3DS uses its own carts for games and a SD for storage. lol, and of course your 5 year old DS has better games than a system that isn't even out yet! :/

But I agree, it does seem that a very expensive console (It WILL be expensive) with expensive games (carts might be better than optical media, but they do cost more..) could potentially be dead in the water.

I'm sure they will sell a few though.
  • Remember guys, these games that look as good as PS3 games will take up A LOT of space on a memory stick. Sony is going to have to either make massive memory sticks or have people go out and buy multiple ones for an exorbitant amount of money. I'm expecting the latter.
  • This I actually want a lot. If it has actual new games (that also happen to look fun), I'll pick one up. When-ish do you think this will be available? Q2/3 this year?