This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Renaissance Fairs

RymRym
edited February 2011 in Conventions
I used to love attending various renaissance fairs. But, I have to admin, they've worn on me over time. I couldn't quite place what had changed (either my tastes or the fairs themselves). Sure, they were cheesy, as expected, and that wasn't any different. Bad acting and hordes of people "a little too into it," sure, but still enjoyable.

But I just sort of realized that the biggest difference is that they're predominantly (at least the one's I've seen in the last decade or so) just vaguely themed malls.

To quote a fellow Farker:
A Fellow FarkerBack when I was in middle school, they had actual actors performing vignettes throughout the day that advanced a story or three... Now it's an open-air shopping mall for flaky New Age pagan types and LARPers. That you pay to get into.
Was really sad at whomever has been running [them] in recent years. They stripped out much of the fun in favor of more shopping for mass produced trinkets and industrial food service. Nothing says 1500's like someone passing you a turkey leg through a window of a blatantly industrial modern kitchen sold to you by some pimple faced kid with a tabbard tossed over their tshirt.
Maybe trolling is the answer?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Really, Were you not at the PA one where the joust ended with demons and Heavy Metal music?
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Depends on the faire, but yes, some are schlocky. Some are good, from what I understand, as they still have people doing good performances.
  • That trolling reminds me of when Trekkies go to Civil War Re-Enactments. I'd probably like to a go to Ren-Fair at some point in my life, but I'm up for hearing about experiences.
  • Were you not at the PA one where the joust ended with demons and Heavy Metal music?
    That was awesome. ;^) But!

The food was OK. The wine was awful. The rest was shopping.
  • But, I have to admin,
    Freudian typo?
  • edited February 2011
    The food was OK. The wine was awful. The rest was shopping.
    I don't know there is always decent comedy acts and musical acts as well as demonstrations of glass blowing and blacksmiths among other things. But yea, it's kinda like a Mall for nerds.. So you can try and pick up girls in leather armor... and such.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Renaissance Fairs - why?

And wasn't The Renaissance in the 12th century? You seem to be a few centuries off no?
  • edited February 2011
    I take issue with the mass-produced trinkets line. I know it's nit-picky, but I know many of those artisans, and almost everything sold at those fairs is handmade. Artisans rent out booths to sell their products, and that is how most of them make a living. That article kinda sounds like a guy who doesn't know what he's talking about. Sure, there is a lot of marketplace. That is how the fair pays its bills. The good fairs also have lots of entertainment acts and themed performances to set the ambiance, and they chose their merchants with care. Some fairs are better than others, no question, but I take issue with any idiot who thinks that everything sold there is stamped with "made in China."
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I was never too impressed with our Medeval Faire until I went to a different one to provide some contrast. The contrast was shit. The one in Gainesville has a story (even if it's the same story 3-4 times a day) and people who actually do stuff. I've not been in a few years because it usually falls on Super Bowl Weekend but people that really stand out in memory are: the egg painting lady, glass blowing dude, and the guy who calls the joust has an AMAZING mustache. It is really mally now that you mention it, but not in a bad way, in more of a fun to peruse way. I wanted to go this Saturday, but I don't think it's worth a 5 hour round trip.
  • Maryland Rennaisance Fair is pretty awesome. There are some really good shows and everything is pretty well themed.
  • Maryland Rennaisance Fair is pretty awesome. There are some really good shows and everything is pretty well themed.
    The one by Annapolis? I used to drive by that every day going to work. It's a permanent fixture right?

MD take this seriously. The state's official sport is Jousting.
  • I take issue with the mass-produced trinkets line. I know it's nit-picky, but I know many of those artisans, and almost everything sold at those fairs is handmade. Artisans rent out booths to sell their products, and that is how most of them make a living. That article kinda sounds like a guy who doesn't know what he's talking about. Sure, there is a lot of marketplace. That is how the fair pays its bills. The good fairs also have lots of entertainment acts and themed performances to set the ambiance, and they chose their merchants with care. Some fairs are better than others, no question, but I take issue with any idiot who thinks that everything sold there is stamped with "made in China."
    What she said. Last time I went the coolest part of the fair was talking to all of the smiths and jewelers about how they do what they do.
  • The one by Annapolis? I used to drive by that every day going to work. It's a permanent fixture right?
    Yes, correct.

I really like that fair too cause there's a lot of shows and lectures going around and the shops there are great. I really like the Crime and Punishment show cause I got to learn a bit more about the old punishment system in England. My only complaint is that the food's all greasy carny food.
  • Last time I went the coolest part of the fair was talking to all of the smiths and jewelers about how they do what they do.
    Nuri and I both know an SCA smith that also works the Sterling Ren Faire (that's the one in the Sterling Forest in Tuxedo, NY); the guy does high-quality smith work.

You can definitely find chintzy stuff at many booths, but a lot of faire people turn out some good stuff.
  • I really like the Crime and Punishment show cause I got to learn a bit more about the old punishment system in England.
    The best show, in my opinion, is the Renaissance Man with his stand up tragedy act.
  • The Texas Ren Fest (it's the one in Ryms photo) is actually a really good production. They have a lot of shows, and a lot of people dressed up and generally being awesome. It still is a large portion shopping, and if that's what you want to do, it's really easy to do just that as the sides of all of the walking areas are generally shops. The shows wear a bit as most of the people don't change their acts (the ded bob show in Ryms photo is a prime example), and some of them are only worth seeing once, others are worth seeing every time despite the repetition. There isn't much story, except at the jousts. Despite that I find the ren fest incredibly enjoyable, browse a the stores that have stuff that I wouldn't normally see, see some of the better shows, and play some of the booth games. My father takes a different tact and sits at one of the bars listening to ribald comedy and songs.
    So basically I find Ren Fairs to be what you make of them, if you want to shop you can shop, but at a good one there's a whole lot more to do.
  • My friends and I go to the Ren Faire every year and generally have a good time. We almost always dress up, and the most fun memories we've made were from interacting with people in character. Also, the shopping that our faire has is mostly centered around costume-building, which I think is more than appropriate for such an event.
  • I think the one in Kansas City, MO is actually pretty high quality. The people who participate in the acting and shows practice all year long, I've heard it's actually a big step for locals in the theatre line of work. There are a few mass-produced trinkets for sale, but quite a few people make their own things -- some of the best katanas I've ever seen were made by local blacksmiths selling there. However, I agree that the acts can get kind of stale, because nothing really changes from year to year.
    And there really are a lot of LARPers...
  • OK, what's the best Faire in the New York Metropolitan area. I will go. ^_~
    Probably the one in Tuxedo. I know the resident blacksmith there.
    You would.
    You would.
    It's actually completely by chance; he happens to be in the SCA household to whom I am somewhat attached. He does good work. Check him out at Red Dog Forge.
  • Damn I used to date a girl from Tuxedo. Didn't know they had a ren faire. I've never actually been to one.
  • I'm looking to cosplay some GoT characters with Lydia at D*Con this year, where can I find high quality period clothes online?