This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Along the same lines, is fish oil in the same category as homeopathy? I'm having trouble deciphering whether Wikipedia and other sources are biased on this one.
    No, it's in the same category as vitamins. It gets you your Omega-3 fatty acids and B vitamins, which have been shown in studies to affect various things, such as mood and heart health.
  • It gets you your Omega-3 fatty acids and B vitamins, which have been shown in studies to affect various things, such as mood and heart health.
    Yeah, look for studies about the benefits of Omega-3 fats. That's what fish oil gets you.

Some "herbal" and "natural" supplements skirt the line between hippie BS and useful medicine. You just have to look at what's being claimed.
  • It gets you your Omega-3 fatty acids and B vitamins, which have been shown in studies to affect various things, such as mood and heart health.
    Yeah, look for studies about the benefits of Omega-3 fats. That's what fish oil gets you.

Some "herbal" and "natural" supplements skirt the line between hippie BS and useful medicine. You just have to look at what's being claimed.
    The wife has been taking fish oil pills, and the label makes no claims at all. That made my Spidey sense tingle.
  • The wife has been taking fish oil pills, and the label makes no claims at all. That made my Spidey sense tingle.
    They're good for you in the same way that salmon, tuna, and oily fish are good for you.
  • The wife has been taking fish oil pills, and the label makes no claims at all. That made my Spidey sense tingle.
    I read somewhere that a large portion of the fish oil supplements out there do indeed contain "fish oil," but not the specific beneficial ones.

I've also read in several places that supplementation only has positive effects if they are addressing a fundamental lack. That is to say, if you're already getting enough, more won't help any (and will make your expelled gasses fishy).
  • but not the specific beneficial ones.
    I haven't been able to verify this. As far as I'm aware, the fatty tissue of fish just naturally accumulates omega-3 fats. Perhaps some brands use fish that have a lower omega-3 content, or harvest from younger fish. I'm not sure. It's also possible that other omega-3 supplements from non-fish sources have other types of omega-3 fatty acids that are less useful than fish-derived ones; I'd have to do more reading to figure that out.
    I've also read in several places that supplementation only has positive effects if they are addressing a fundamentallack.
    It depends on what is being supplemented. The thing with omega-3 is that it seems to have a pronounced health benefit. Most people don't eat enough fish to get enough omega-3 to actually be useful. It becomes a matter of practicality, basically.
  • Also, you have to worry about the fact that a lot of supplements are just not quality products. They might say "fish oil" but do you know what's actually in there? It's not like over the counter real medicine which is very closely inspected to make sure it is what it says it is. And even with heavy regulation, there are relatively frequent problems with bad Tylenol batches or whatever. So some unregulated supplement, whether it is or isn't homeopathy, probably isn't exactly what it says it is on the package.
  • edited February 2011
    Also, you have to worry about the fact that a lot of supplements are just not quality products. They might say "fish oil" but do you know what's actually in there? It's not like over the counter real medicine which is very closely inspected to make sure it is what it says it is. And even with heavy regulation, there are relatively frequent problems with bad Tylenol batches or whatever. So some unregulated supplement, whether it is or isn't homeopathy, probably isn't exactly what it says it is on the package.
    Well, no, that's not true. They still have to comply with labeling and disclosure laws. However, they are not required to register with the FDA, so the manufacturers are responsible for ensuring the veracity of any claims they make.

So, they tell you what's in it, but what it does is another matter.

EDIT: Here are the regulations applying to dietary supplement manufacturers. It's a very brief 201 pages of regulations.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • If you want an LGA 1366 computer with 8gb RAM, does 2*2gb and 1*4gb work or do you have to use DIMMs of equal size?
  • The general rule about mixing RAM is that you shouldn't, but you usually can.
  • Yeah it would probably work but you'd probably be fine with 4 gigs anyway.
  • Hamon martial arts are superior to Nanto Seiken and Hokuto Shinken. You can freeze time with them.
    Musou Tensei is stronger than freezing time.
    Dio Brando would still kick the shit out of Kenshiro in a fight, even though Kenshiro is nigh-invulnerable.
  • Hamon martial arts are superior to Nanto Seiken and Hokuto Shinken. You can freeze time with them.
    Musou Tensei is stronger than freezing time.
    Dio Brando would still kick the shit out of Kenshiro in a fight, even though Kenshiro is nigh-invulnerable.

Nope.
  • If Kenshiro exists within time, he would lose to Dio. If you can produce some evidence to the contrary I'd love to see it.

Kenshiro being totally strong is irrelevant to his ability to defeat Dio Brando in combat.
  • If Kenshiro exists within time, he would lose to Dio. If you can produce some evidence to the contrary I'd love to see it.

Kenshiro being totally strong is irrelevant to his ability to defeat Dio Brando in combat.
    Let's put it to a vote. Here is my evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/user/decrepido#grid/user/5FB7377E6B70820F
  • Truth isn't decided by committee.
  • Are there any good save file cloud syncing programs out there like the steam cloud?
  • Are there any good save file cloud syncing programs out there like the steam cloud?
    Maybe this can help.
  • Truth isn't decided by committee.
    It's two entirely fictional characters with entirely fictional martial arts. It's actually decided by Dr Manhattan and a jury of unicorns.
  • Golgo 13 would kill Kenshiro. Instantly. From two miles away.
  • Golgo 13 would kill Kenshiro. Instantly. From two miles away.
    He'd catch the bullet, and you know it.
  • Nope. Just because you couldn't make that shot doesn't mean Golgo 13 couldn't, Scott.
  • Nope. Just because you couldn't make that shot doesn't mean Golgo 13 couldn't, Scott.
    Oh, it would be straight on target. Duke Togo's skills are not in question. The problem is that the gun is too weak.
  • The problem is that the gun is too weak.
    Everyone here knows that Duke Togo's custom M16s are the most powerful weapons in the known universe. Their bullets travel at relativistic speeds.
  • Their bullets travel at relativistic speeds.
    Which is still slower than Kenshiro's fist.
  • Highly doubtful. Golgo 13 is a demon with the powers of a god. Kenshiro is just some dude who knows karate.
  • Highly doubtful. Golgo 13 is a demon with the powers of a god. Kenshiro is just some dude who knows karate.
    You are already dead for saying that.
  • Truth hurts.
  • edited February 2011
    Golgo 13 can misfire.
    Hell, he can miss.
    Also, there's no way 5 seconds of stopped time is enough to kill Kenshiro. Once that time is over, Dio is already dead.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • But he always, ALWAYS gets his man. No exceptions.

Golgo 13 is a force of nature. It's just a matter of time until he extinguishes all life on Earth.