This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Soda Soda!

This is a discussion about the best flavors of soda and their makers.

Stewart's Key lime soda. Smooth, tangy, tasty and cheap. Good with a tuna melt or a Fine burger with onions.
If I'm feeling in a nostalgic mood I go for a Orange Crush or a Dr.Pepper.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    I'm fortunate enough to have this store within driving distance.

As far as "mainstream" sodas go, I like Dr. Pepper, Barq's, or Sprite. From Galco's, my favorites are Manhattan Special Vanilla Cream, Dog n' Suds Root Beer, Black Lemonade, and Thomas Kemper Black Cherry.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited February 2011
    Boylan Black Cherry is where it's at. It's made with cane sugar and has an unusually medicinal flavor compared to other sodas. Also, a good cream soda with some amaretto and a dollop of vanilla ice cream is delicious.
    Lucky bastard.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited February 2011
    Boylan Black Cherry is where it's at. It's made with cane sugar and has an unusually medicinal flavor compared to other sodas.
    Oh damn, it's so good.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I can no longer enjoy soda other than it being in a mixed alcoholic beverage.

But seriously, I prefer water overall. I drink Lemon Propel and coffee as well an that's about it.
  • But seriously, I prefer water overall.
    Same here, but it's in the same way I prefer a good sandwich to a slice of cake. Soda is an indulgence, and as such I tend to go for the best quality stuff that I can find. I almost never drink the standard brands anymore.
  • The best root beer I ever had was from Yellowstone.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, I'm with Ro. I prefer water, and water is what I generally drink.
    Sometimes (rather rarely) I feel like a soda, and I'll drink it in a mixed alcoholic beverage, but that's it.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I can no longer enjoy soda other than it being in a mixed alcoholic beverage.
    Same here, and that pretty much defaults to Coke.

If I have a real craving for a soda, I will only go with Coke, Mountain Dew (and either Code Red or Livewire derivatives), or Fanta Orange.

And the root beer that Big E Ales makes is absolutely amazing, though I'd be hard pressed to call it soda. It's not nearly carbonated or sugary enough for that.
  • edited February 2011
    Pete's Ass-Kicking Root Beer
    Warning: May Kick Your Ass

~1.25 oz sassafras root bark*
    ~1.25 oz sasaparilla root
    ~1/2 oz licorice root
    1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp allspice
    1/2 tsp ginger
    10 whole cloves
    10 juniper cones (berries), lightly crushed
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/8 tsp (pinch) crushed red pepper flakes
    3 cups honey
    ~1/3 cup molasses (NOT blackstrap)
    4 lbs turbinado sugar
    1 tbsp vanilla extract

5 quarts water

Pour the 5 quarts of water into a stockpot capable of holding at least 10 quarts; a 12 quart pot is ideal. Note the level of the liquid; you'll need to remember where it is later. Heat the water to near boiling, and add the sugar, honey, and molasses, stirring to dissolve it. Just as the water starts to boil, add everything else, stirring to get it all mixed. Let the water come to boil, and then back it off to a strong simmer/light boil for about an hour, or until you are back down to the 5 quart level. The sugar and such add roughly an extra 2 quarts to the volume.

After boiling, strain the syrup into another pot, add the vanilla extract, and mix well. Bottle the syrup in quart-sized Mason jars, plastic jars, or any other suitable container.

The syrup should be mixed in roughly a 1:4 ratio. I just mix it with seltzer and skip the whole force carbing or natural carbing thing. It would probably taste great if it were naturally carbed; I might give that a go at some point.

EDIT: I would add a bit of maltodextrin in there, for body. Maybe an ounce or so.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I occasionally have Coke in a Jameson and Coke, but even then it's a bit too much acrid sweet. Stewart's is mad weak sauce, as is Jones soda in most cases.

I enjoy (in small quantities):

Redbull
    Redbull Cola
    San Pellegrino (Orange and Lemon)
    Club Soda
    Flavored Seltzer (unsweetened)
    Root Beers (the whole family)
  • edited February 2011
    I occasionally have Coke in a Jameson and Coke, but even then it's a bit too much acrid sweet.
    If you can get a hold of the passover coke, with the real sugar, it's much better with whiskey - much less acrid, in my opinion. Goes well(okay, better than HFCS coke) with bourbon or a dark rum, too. I don't know what it is, honestly. Just the way it goes.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited February 2011
    If I drink soda it's root beer or Inca Kola.

PS: For Jameson you only need ice.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Coke Zero.
  • Redbull Cola
    It's odd - I really like it, but damned near everyone I know hates the fuck out of it. I've not seen it anywhere down here, sadly. Also, JOLT make a damned fine Root beer, but I know of only three petrol stations in the city which MIGHT still sell it.
  • but damned near everyone I know hates the fuck out of it.
    For real.
    I've not seen it anywhere down here,
    Oddly, only the shittiest of bodegas tend to have it. I have a few theories as to why that's the case, but I can't really substantiate any of them.
  • Oddly, only the shittiest of bodegas tend to have it. I have a few theories as to why that's the case, but I can't really substantiate any of them.
    It was in damned near every store in the UK when I left. I won't say if that confirms or refutes any theory you might have, though.
  • My first guess was that they stopped making it, and there's a massive unpopular supply that is making it's way into warehouses eventually cleaned out by the distributors for shitty bodega.

I've also decided that, henceforth, the plural of bodega is bodega.
  • I'm a fan of Pop in general, but I do greatly prefer the cane sugar variety. One of my favorites is the mexican pepsi still in the glass bottles with cane sugar. Its way better than even Pepsi throwback. I'm also a fan of Barq's Rootbeer (A&W is way too sweet to me), and some Jones soda. The blueberry pomegranate flavor is really good. I also love the fuck out of mountain dew even know its probably killing me.
  • I've also decided that, henceforth, the plural of bodega is bodega.
    Bodegas
  • Daily diet soda tied to higher risk for stroke, heart attack.

When I drank soda, I preferred diet over normal. Not a problem anymore.
  • Squirt is an amazing soda.
  • When I drank soda, I preferred diet over normal.
    I still can't imagine how someone gets to that point unless they started with diet. It always tasted like a chemical arse to me.
  • When I drank soda, I preferred diet over normal.
    I still can't imagine how someone gets to that point unless they started with diet. It always tasted like a chemical arse to me.
    I think my mother mostly drank it so I drank it. After a while, I preferred the taste over normal soda.
  • edited February 2011
    My first guess was that they stopped making it, and there's a massive unpopular supply that is making it's way into warehouses eventually cleaned out by the distributors for shitty bodega.
    A quick search reveals no evidence of this - by all indications, they're still making it, so it must be enjoying some degree of success - also, can't get it here, simply because it's not released here, but it is in NZ, so I'll send an email to one of my buddies over there.

Random question - You like the idea of passionfruit soda? There's a really good one here called Pasito, I love the stuff. Not too sweet, just the right amount of sour and carbonation. I should cast around and see if there is a place in the US that it can be purchased.
    It always tasted like a chemical arse to me.
    Sidenote - it always sounds odd to me when Americans use English/Australian words, pronunciations, or expressions. Not bad, just odd.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Does diet soda actually cause weight gain?
    I don't know, is that link not broken?
  • Diet A&W.
  • Aw man I want to go to Galco's for that rose soda. I don't usually like soda but every once in awhile I'll have a craving.
  • edited February 2011
    That man is awesome. You can just see the passion for soda in his eyes.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • There is very little better in this world than being very thirsty, cracking open an ice-cold Mountain Dew, and feeling the first hit of that carbonation rough and sweet against the back of your throat. Too bad Diet Mt. Dew is ass.