This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• It's a different computer? That "listen" is usually from your sound card, not from the OS.
    No Its the same computer. I've had Windows 7 on this one before but it was pirated and kept getting ingenuine so I just switched back to Vista.
    Probably a difference in the sound driver then.
    I thought it was just a feature that Vista lacked. Is there any other way to do this?
    I used to do it in Windows 98.
  • I got it. It was in the proprietary bullshit program, not in the default windows audio manager.
  • edited February 2011
    Manliness is completely separate from power. Because I just watched all the Patlabor, I'll say Gotoh is the manliest.
    Yes.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • The Saint of Killers.
    Having just finished reading Preacher, I'm going to have to go with this one.
  • What is the best free US VPN?
  • Why are bridges so much louder when you drive over them than regular road?
  • I've heard people say that the gold standard is a bad idea, and we should most certainly not switch to it. My understanding of economics is pretty low level though, so I have no idea why. Could someone give me a simple explanation?
  • Does anyone know what the name of the equilibrium symbol (Scientific.) is? In the same way that "&" is known as ampersand.
  • edited February 2011
    What do you mean by equilibrium? Specifically, in what context would the symbol be used?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I've heard people say that the gold standard is a bad idea, and we should most certainly not switch to it. My understanding of economics is pretty low level though, so I have no idea why. Could someone give me a simple explanation?
    Basing your currency on an arbitrary mineral's prevalence is not any less arbitrary than basing it on an arbitrary metric, and simultaneously removes many of the very important and powerful mechanisms we have to tailor and maintain our economies.
  • Does anyone know what the name of the equilibrium symbol (Scientific.) is? In the same way that "&" is known as ampersand.
    Not sure what symbol you're talking about. Could you clarify?
  • edited February 2011
    @LoC, it's this guy:

Equilibrium arrows would have been a better name but I was wondering if there were others.
    Code is "& #8652 ;" without the spaces.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited February 2011
    Hmm. Some research reveals that that symbol is commonly used in chemistry for reversible reactions (I hadn't remembered/known this, admittedly).
    It appears to be commonly called the equilibrium sign, and I can't find a name other than equilibrium sign or equilibrium symbol. Those kinds of arrows are called "harpoons", and it seems that the Unicode character is described as "rightwards harpoon over leftwards harpoon". In LaTeX, the command is \rightleftharpoons.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • More money or more vacation time?
    Vacation.
    Money.
    What is your current money situation? Are you planning any vacation this year?

Your answers should hopefully help you select what is best for you.
  • My time is worth more to me than almost any amount of money, I only work so that I can support a more effective use of that time (ie: not spending all my time panhandling).
    Money.
    Vacation.

When I had no money and infinite time, I was never bored. We live in a world where endless free time can be filled meaningfully even without money.
  • Vacation would be:
    15 vacation days, 10 holidays, and 10 sick days.
    Money:
    7 thousands more.
  • I'd only choose vacation if I had something specific in mind that I wanted to do that would need vacation days.
  • If you don't take the extra vacation days, how many do you get? 10?
  • I was comparing the benefits from two different places. One offers 15 and the other offers 10.
  • I took the vacation time. I would gladly trade it for the money. Vacation doesn't pay for new windows, computer monitor, mortgage, or books.
  • The money vacation tradeoff is always difficult. If your money is less than the amount you need, then you will gladly give up whatever for more money. If the money is more than you need, you'll gladly trade down for more vacation. Make sure the money is at least a little bit more than what you need to be satisfied, and then get as much vacation as you can.
  • Honestly, you should be padding your 401K as flush with cash as you can, as early as you can.
  • Honestly, you should be padding your 401K as flush with cash as you can, as early as you can.
    Yes yes.
  • edited February 2011
    Honestly, you should be padding your 401K as flush with cash as you can, as early as you can.
    I am not playing on retairing in the USA. I am thinking on moving back to Peru to enjoy my golden years and live in the highlands or near a beach just like Black Jack. But I am already saving for later in life.
    Post edited by Erwin on
    I am not playing on retairing in the USA. I am thinking on moving back to Peru to enjoy my golden years and live in the highlands or near a beach just like Black Jack
    Me too.
  • That sounds nice and romantic, but you will still need to, you know, buy food. And pay for electricity and such. Does Peru have some sort of awesome social security net I don't know about? Because I'll go there in a heartbeat rather than work until I'm 80 just to get by.