This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• "The Sting" is finally on Netflix Streaming. If you haven't seen it, watch it now.
    Sooooo goooood.

I finally got around to seeing Hellboy 2. It wasn't a great movie, but it was a good one, especially if you have a hard-on for freaky Del Torro puppetry and design. It suffered slightly from "Now We Have to Go Here and Get This" syndrome. Perlman, of course, rules with characterization.

Today's mental exercise: Don't you with Del Torro would have made the Star Wars prequels?
  • edited February 2011
    Casablanca.
    I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
    Here's your winnings, sir.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • I've seen it a long time ago, but I'm going to watch it again.

"The Sting" is finally on Netflix Streaming. If you haven't seen it, watch it now.
    "The Sting" is amazing.

True story: One time my friends and I were at my dad's house and decided to stay up late and watch "The Sting," which is quite a long movie. If we hadn't we would never have noticed a slight glow outside one of the windows. When we went out to investigate we saw that a small fire that we thought we had extinguished had flared up again, only this time it was larger. This fire was far too close to the house for comfort, so we promptly doused the fire with several buckets of water.

TL;DR: "The Sting" may have saved my dad's house.
  • The Usual Suspects.
  • The Green Hornet was a thoroughly entertaining movie. Seth Rogen did a decent job.
  • Recently announced: Javier Bardem has been cast as Roland in the film adaptation of The Dark Tower, to be directed by Ron Howard, with screenplay by Akiva Goldsman. Thoughts?
  • Recently announced: Javier Bardem has been cast as Roland in the film adaptation of The Dark Tower, to be directed by Ron Howard, with screenplay by Akiva Goldsman. Thoughts?
    What is The Dark Tower? :P
  • edited February 2011
    Watched a ton of movies recently on planes. Was very surprised to get on an American Airlines 14-hour flight where they let you pick your own movies and watch them on a personal screen. I've only had that once or twice before.

The Expendables: did not need to watch this movie. Was mildly enjoyable action cheese but felt a little crappy even for action cheese standards. Statham was great, Stallone caused many groaner moments such as leaping to catch the edge of a moving aircraft with just his roid-enhanced fingertips.
    The Town: Great. Watch it.
    Winters Bone: Got one of the 10 Oscar nominations and is a small, not-widely-seen flick. Was surprised to see this one up there so I made sure to watch it. Thought it was a very good movie. Worth everyone's time as well. Some people felt that it dragged a bit in the early scenes but I say give it some time.
    Shrek Forever After: Shrek movies are trash now, but somehow this managed to be a mild improvement over the third one. Kudos to them for that small feat.
    Animal Kingdom: A crime drama set in Australia that also picked up some Oscar nominations, putting it on my radar. The acting in this one was really good. Don't expect action like The Town but it's still a nice movie. Not a must-see picture but if you like a slow-paced drama with conflicted characters this one's for you.
    Wall Street 2: I was able to get over my distaste for Shia Lebouf and managed to enjoy this movie. I am a huge fan of the first one, and while I still feel a sequel was unnecessary, the premise of Gordon Gecko getting out of jail and wanting to make a big re-entry is both plausible and compelling. Not a landmark film but I was expecting shit and it turned out to be an average flick.

Aside from the plans I also had the chance to watch Fargo for the first time and absolutely loved it. Having just driven through Minnesota, I loved the characters. Also, watched There Will Be Blood and really didn't care for it. The internal conflict of the lead character, the driving force of the movie, didn't grab me.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Also, watched There Will Be Blood and really didn't care for it. The asshole-ery of the lead character, the driving force of the movie, didn't grab me.
  • Oh mans, Rocky and Apollo Creed are going at it. I mean, with fists, not lips.
  • Just watched Disney's Aladdin for the first time since I was a little kid. Great movie, great animation, though the CG gets a little dated. Still, it shows exactly why Disney went through a renaissance during the 90s.

However, the movie just can't help the fact that Robin Williams absolutely and completely steals the show with his performance as the Genie.
  • Really? I got bored in the middle right around the night time scenes, but in all its a great movie and a better read. Mad Max 0.5 and Pleasant ville 2.0
    And it hates women sooooo much!
  • Really? I got bored in the middle right around the night time scenes, but in all its a great movie and a better read. Mad Max 0.5 and Pleasant ville 2.0
    And it hates women sooooo much!
    No time for feminism in the post-apocalypse, y'know. A boy doesn't love equality. A boy loves his dog.
  • Somehow I don't see women uprising and spearheading the revival of civilization if the apocalypse happened.

It would probably be some dudes.
  • That's only because those dudes would be mean to all the women and keep them down.
    (Just like regular civilization!)
  • If women are keep-down-able then they aren't as good to begin with.
  • If women are keep-down-able then they aren't as good to begin with.
    Here we go again.
  • I don't think we discussed gender roles in the post apocalypse before.
  • I burst out laughing when I saw this in Paris. The new Ashton Kutcher/Natalie Portman movie No Strings Attached, about two people in a "friends with benefits" relationship, is bluntly titled Sex Friends. I love it.
  • I burst out laughing when I saw this in Paris. The new Ashton Kutcher/Natalie Portman movieNo Strings Attached, about two people in a "friends with benefits" relationship, is bluntly titledSex Friends. I love it.
    I wanted it to just be called Fuckbuddies, but it would never happen.
  • Pulp Fiction and Black Dynamite back to back. It was even better that I remembered, especially now that I watched both with a group.
  • Pulp Fiction and Black Dynamite back to back. It was even better that I remembered, especially now that I watched both with a group.
    That's a dangerous combination.
    Perhaps the most dangerous?
  • edited February 2011
    Pulp Fiction and Black Dynamite back to back. It was even better that I remembered, especially now that I watched both with a group.
    Perhaps the most dangerous?
    Not quite the most dangerous. The most dangerous film combination is about 12 hours long and consists of The Godfather, Crank, The Godfather II, Crank 2, Apocalypse Now, Kill Bill 1 & 2, and Black Dynamite. They are the most dangerous for these reasons: tonal shifts but not quality shifts, shifts in pacing between movies, total number of DVDs required (10 if you use my copies). For example, Kill Bill is not the best Tarantino movie IMHO but it is the most dangerous because of it's sheer length. At least three of these are absolutely insane and they know they are (Crank, Crank 2, Apocalypse Now, perhaps Kill Bill). That is all.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • The King's Speech was really good.
  • If gay people are keep-down-able then they aren't as good to begin with.
    What do you do when the man tells you that?
  • edited February 2011
    A boy and his dog. Now I may check off seeing every single inspiration for Fallout.
    Have you seen Damnation Alley and Radioactive Dreams?
    Post edited by zombie a gogo on
  • The Runaways is on Netflix streaming and it looks pretty good, but I don't know if it's worth my time or not. Has anyone seen it?
  • What do you do when the man tells you that?
  • Watched American Ninja 2 again. If only for Steve James, the only black man that can fight ninjas and kill one of them just by yelling at them.