This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super Meat Boy

Comments

• I beat the game in the light world. That's about it. Now I have moved on to other non-meat pastures.
    Pussy.
    Wouldn't that count as a meat pleasure too?
  • I beat the game in the light world. That's about it. Now I have moved on to other non-meat pastures.
    Pussy.
    Wouldn't that count as a meat pleasure too?
    As would your mother.
  • So, I was looking into controllers to use on PC, for playing this game and for playing emulated console games (NES and SNES in particular).

From what I know, I can get a wired Xbox 360 controller, or a wireless one as well as the Wireless Gaming Receiver. A wired one will set me back ~$40, while the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows will cost ~$60, and I believe it comes with that same receiver.

What I wanted was the new silver Xbox 360 controller with the improved D-Pad. However, that one is ~$70 at best and doesn't come with a receiver. Additionally, it seems that the receiver is very difficult to find separately.

While the $20 isn't worth it to me for wireless over wired, the receiver seems like a rather useful piece of hardware; it supports up to 4 controllers, and it would presumably work with the new silver controller as well. As such, I'm inclined to buy the one with the receiver.
  • While the $20 isn't worth it to me for wireless over wired, the receiver seems like a rather useful piece of hardware; it supports up to 4 controllers, and it would presumably work with the new silver controller as well. As such, I'm inclined to buy the one with the receiver.
    Omnutia linked me to a standalone official receiver you can get from dealextreme the other night, reasonably cheap - stands to reason that it would work with the newer controllers, too.
  • edited February 2011
    Well, this is what I'm currently looking at.

I couldn't find a decent source for the receiver on its own, unfortunately. If it can be bought at ~$20, I'd have to consider the new controller as an option as well; it's $30 more but it does come with the Play & Charge kit.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I couldn't find a decent source for the receiver on its own, unfortunately. If it can be bought at ~$20, I'd have to consider the new controller as an option as well; it's $30 more but it does come with the Play & Charge kit.
    Does $11.90 tickle your fancy? It's a "Designer" model, which converting from DealExtreme speak, It's an identical Knockoff - Same bits, most likely same factory, just not MS branded. Works with the Microsoft drivers, even.
  • edited February 2011
    Do not get an XB controller for emulation; Analog to D-Pad does not feel good. Get a DualShock 3 knock-off (PS3 section, pick a colour.) with a bluetooth dongle and use MotionInJoy.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited February 2011
    Hmm. You have a point there; the older Xbox 360 controller is known for having a poor D-Pad, and that's important for NES/SNES games. However, the newer one has supposedly improved this a lot - does anyone know if it's good enough?

The reason I was angling towards Xbox 360 controllers was that I've heard they fare much better with compatibility.

EDIT: Oh, I see. MotionInJoy offers emulation of the Xbox 360 controller. That would probably solve most of the compatibility problems you'd have otherwise.
  • Fortunately, MotionInJoy can emulate an XB3 controller (Though you'll have to remember where the buttons are.).
  • Hmm. You have a point there; the older Xbox 360 controller is known for having a poor D-Pad, and that's important for NES/SNES games. However, the newer one has supposedly improved this a lot - does anyone know if it's good enough?
    It's pretty goddamn good - Once you pop it out, it's a 100% improvement on the old one.
  • edited February 2011
    ~$20-25 is quite good for a PS3 controller knockoff; this looks good at $22. Unless there are major issues with this approach, it seems like a good idea. I think I would also need a USB charging cable for this controller, right? What kind and where should I buy it?

Also, a friend of mine told me that there was major annoyance on 64-bit systems due to the MotioninJoy driver being unsigned, but apparently this has been resolved now.
  • edited February 2011
    In W7x64 they made unsigned drivers unusable by default and you have to modify your OS to allow them. While it's an understandable security measure (To my knowldege.), the driver signing costs $500-$600 a year but the guy bought it.

The USB cable is, luckily, a standard USB Mini B, I think.
  • I didn't know the silver controller was out yet. Also, why would you want to use a PS3 controller? I hate the d-pad on those things. A plus is necessary. The four directions need to be connected to each other. The four separate buttons on the PS controllers have always been an enemy of mine.
  • edited February 2011
    They are a connected cross but they connect underneath the plastic, I take it you like being able to do the rocking thumb motion.
  • I take it you like being able to do the rocking thumb motion.
    You know I rock the thumb. Yeah, it doesn't matter if they are connected underneath, they aren't connected enough. Also, even if they are connected, it's not a flat across connection. All the buttons are slanted inwards towards the middle.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm not familiar with the D-pad on the Xbox 360 controller or the PS3 controller, but I do know that (except perhaps the silver one) the Xbox 360 D-pad is widely criticized.
    Also, the PS3 controller knockoff is very cheap at $22, especially since it uses standard bluetooth and so doesn't require a special receiver a la the 360 controller.
  • I'm not familiar with the D-pad on the Xbox 360 controller or the PS3 controller, but I do know that (except perhaps the silver one) the Xbox 360 D-pad is widely criticized.
    Well, just look at pictures and the difference will be immediately obvious. The XBox d-pad is poop. However, the new silver one is supposed to not suck. Also, I did notice something. I have an old white XBox controller, it's d-pad sucks. I also have a new black one that came with the XBox slim. You can tell that it's new because it the under-plastic is glossy instead of matte. Even though it doesn't have the spinning d-pad like the silver controller, it is still much much better than the older d-pad.

Also, you might really need to pinch pennies, which I can understand, but with controllers you get what you pay for. You can't complain about the xbox d-pad sucking and then expect a $22 knock-off to be any better. It may work, but I would be extremely surprised if it is as sturdy and reliable as the real deal. I've always had a policy of only getting high quality official controllers, and I've been proven right time and time again.
  • edited February 2011
    While I do like the DS D-Pad (Though the N64 D-Pad feels kinda bad.), the PS3 has a pretty damn good D-Pad and analog sticks, works with PC and is wireless.

If you were looking to spend a bit more, an XB3/PS3 controller plus a SNES controller would be nice.

Edit: I was thinking of getting a propper PS3 pad but then I saw that they were 3x (£30-£45 vs £15.) the price of the unofficial. For regular use, I can understand that, but not for the odd game here and there. Anyway, I'll have the PS3 pad in a couple of weeks and I'll compare it to the PS2.
  • edited February 2011
    Also, you might really need to pinch pennies, which I can understand, but with controllers you get what you pay for. You can't complain about the xbox d-pad sucking and then expect a $22 knock-off to be any better.
    I disagree. Although it may be lower quality, the D-pad on the $22 knock-off is based on a superior design to that of the 360 controller, so I do in fact wholeheartedly expect it to be better than that of the standard Xbox 360 controller.
    The silver Xbox 360 controller is an option I was considering, but as it would work out to around four times the price (~$80 for controller + ~$10 for wireless receiver) I feel it would be a wiser decision to leave that option unless the PS3 knock-off proves to be unsatisfactory.
    I've always had a policy of only getting high quality official controllers, and I've been proven right time and time again.
    How can you be proven right without testing alternatives?
  • How can you be proven right without testing alternatives?
    I have used many many third party cheap controllers over the years from the time I was very small playing Atari until now. I had a few of my own on the NES. I've used many at friend's houses. I've used a ton at college that belonged to other people who were trying to save money. And I've used a bunch at conventions. I have yet to find any controller that was cheaper than the real deal that wasn't somehow also crappier.

All Atari controllers suck, but the official ones always seem to hold up a little better than the third party ones. You don't see many third party NES, SNES, or Genesis controllers around today because they mostly broke. You see plenty of official ones still working like new. Even when it came to things like DDR soft pads, the ones that were actually made by Konami were quite a bit better than the $20 ones. Every example I can think of where a third party controller was somehow superior, such as Red Octane Ignition DDR pads, various fight and flight sticks, racing wheels, etc. The superior products were official in some capacity, like the Street Fighter IV tournamen sticks, and/or were more expensive than the default, not cheaper.
  • edited February 2011
    Nintendo has the best D-pads; I don't see why everyone doesn't just use their design (the patent seems to have expired). However, there isn't really a reasonable Nintendo controller for use with a PC.
  • edited February 2011
    However, there isn't really a reasonable Nintendo controller for use with a PC.
    Real SNES controller with USB adapter works great.

Also, we could easily take apart Nintendo controllers and use their parts to make newer USB controllers that don't suck.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited February 2011
    Well, I have a real SNES controller and I could buy a USB adapter for it, but what about drivers?
  • edited February 2011
    Well, I have a SNES controller and I could buy a USB adapter for it, but what about drivers?
    Windows has built-in drivers that handle standard USB HID gamepads. Linux can also handle them. Only Mac is fail.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Would it work well for Super Meat Boy?
  • Would it work well for Super Meat Boy?
    I don't see why not. The pad certainly has enough buttons.
  • edited February 2011
    A lot of games are built specifically for the Xbox 360 controller, and Super Meat Boy is one of them. I've read complaints about Super Meat Boy not working properly without an Xbox 360 controller.

If it's possible to use an SNES controller with x360ce (Xbox 360 controller emulator) then the problem is resolved, however.
  • Actually if you want SNES on the PC, use this it is awesome SNES USB adapter. There is an N64 counterpart that I am getting soon but this site is legit.
  • I've beaten Dirt2 fully for the second time this past week. None of the races are challenging for me anymore except for a with a couple of cars. I'm done playing racing games to completion, so from here on out, I'm just gonna play normally. Need For Speed: Shift, you'll be my arcade style racing game now, even if your physics are WAYYYY too accurate to not take seriously.
  • I've beaten Dirt2 fully for the second time this past week. None of the races are challenging for me anymore except for a with a couple of cars.
    Yeah, it's not particularly challenging, and the small amount of courses doesn't help either - Any event in london, I'm beating it first time, every time, since it's essentially the same two tracks the whole way through the game. You just rote-learn the best path and how to stick to it.