This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fucking magnets, how do they work?

edited February 2011 in Science
HZpoT3j063U

Comments

• Remember kids, get a parents permission first.
  • [video]
    That's not how magnets work.
    T.T
  • I can beat Magnet Man with just the regular mega buster, but it's hard as fuck. So easy with spark.
  • Ah, Rich Makowitz - The only man I've ever seen who can speak about weapons like he's constantly and extremely aroused.
  • Ah, Rich Makowitz - The only man I've ever seen who can speak about weapons like he's constantly and extremely aroused.
    Sova doesn't count, then?
  • edited February 2011
    I can beat Magnet Man with just the regular mega buster, but it's hard as fuck. So easy with spark.
    Even though Needle Man was the first boss I went after (for Rush Jet), Magnet Man was always my second. And since the Needle shot didn't work particularly well on Magnet Man, I just ended up using the standard Mega Buster. It didn't occur to me till much later in life that the Spark shot would probably work best against him.
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on
  • Even though Needle Man was the first boss I went after (for Rush Jet), Magnet Man was always my second. And since the Needle shot didn't work particularly well on Magnet Man, I just ended up using the standard Mega Buster. It didn't occur to me till much later in life that the Spark shot would probably work best against him.
    Correct Mega Man 3 order is as follows:

Hard, Top, Shadow, Spark, Magnet, Snake Gemini, Needle.

The game has two loops of boss weaknesses. Hard, Top, Shadow, Spark and Magnet all go together. Snake Gemini and Needle go together. Because Hard and Snake are both trivially easy to beat with the mega buster, I put them first in their respective cycles. I do the hard man cycle first because the Shadow blade is like the metal blade, you want to use it all the fucking time. If you're a complete badass you can try to beat Shadow Man first.

• Sova doesn't count, then?
    Not quite - He gets excited, but not quite this-is-an-XM2010-Enhanced-Sniper-Rifle-it-fires-a-.300-winchester-round-that-would-simply-bounce-off-the-diamond-cracking-erection-I-am-currently-sporting kinda excited.
  • magnets are really awesome and I have been curious as ever on how they really work. What I like about magnets is that they are really useful and puzzling at that.

I think that there is some sort of power charged onto it that makes metal stick to it. I am trying to speaking the layest of lay terms.

I wonder how shifting in polarity the planet is experiencing can affect how they work.
  • magnets are really awesome and I have been curious as ever on how they really work. What I like about magnets is that they are really useful and puzzling at that.

I think that there is some sort of power charged onto it that makes metal stick to it. I am trying to speaking the layest of lay terms.

I wonder how shifting in polarity the planet is experiencing can affect how they work.
    What the fuck am I even reading.

Either the Ivory Tower has been invaded, or somebody's trolling us.
  • We have been infiltrated! Save the scrolls! Damn the women!

Either the Ivory Tower has been invaded, or somebody's trolling us.
    For the FRCF, it is axiomatic: what is compliant has to be isolated from what is unruly and intractable.
  • edited June 2011
    This seems legit.

Also, more science about electromagnetics, specifically batteries and Wi-Fi.

Post edited by Byron on
  • I <3 Mark Erickson!
  • I've heard that those are a hoax.
  • That's... That's a troll, right? It seems like a troll, but Poe's Law...
  • O_O

This seems like a real thing?

Watch the polymagnets part. Spoiler alert: instead of one north and one south pole, they can print (or whatever) tiny little magnetic pixels next to each other. Attraction ensues.
  • But can they use that to build me a sweet rail gun?