This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• edited February 2011
    That sounds nice and romantic, but you will still need to, you know, buy food. And pay for electricity and such. Does Peru have some sort of awesome social security net I don't know about? Because I'll go there in a heartbeat rather than work until I'm 80 just to get by.
    The thing is that the dollar is worth more than the Sol in Peru at the moment. Believe me when I tell you that one can live prety nicely with a little bit more than the social security that many people recollect here in America if they would be to move to Peru.
    Also, water and electricity are pretty cheap down there.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • That sounds nice and romantic, but you will still need to, you know, buy food. And pay for electricity and such. Does Peru have some sort of awesome social security net I don't know about? Because I'll go there in a heartbeat rather than work until I'm 80 just to get by.
    It may or may not, but places like that the cost of living is so very very low and the weather is oh so awesome.
  • edited February 2011
    That sounds nice and romantic, but you will still need to, you know, buy food. And pay for electricity and such. Does Peru have some sort of awesome social security net I don't know about? Because I'll go there in a heartbeat rather than work until I'm 80 just to get by.
    It may or may not, but places like that the cost of living is so very very low and the weather is oh so awesome.
    One word dude:
    Mancora
    And that is on a busy day.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • I almost assuredly plan to retire outside of the US.
  • While I'm investing heavily in a 401k, I'm investing more in things that will pay out when I'm 40. I want to enjoy my money while I'm still young enough to do it.
  • If, by the time I'm 40, I'm not:
    - living in Europe
    - living in San Francisco
    - making a lot of money in NYC
    I will consider my life wasted. I could spend my middle age in any of these places, if I had enough money to be comfortable. In NYC, that means more money than the previous two options.
  • If, by the time I'm 40, I'm not:
    - living in Europe
    - living in San Francisco
    - making a lot of money in NYC
    I will consider my life wasted. I could spend my middle age in any of these places, if I had enough money to be comfortable. In NYC, that means more money than the previous two options.
    What about if you are living in space? Would you life still be wasted?
  • What about if you are living in space? Would you life still be wasted?
    Touché.

• If they made a Live-Action Movie of Punch Out!, Steve Harvey should play Doc Louis.
    I beg to differ. Also, I've been thinking this for a while and I'm glad the internet agrees.
  • That's NES Doc Louis. Compared to Wii Doc Louis? But still, if they made a movie out of a video game that I could get behind, it'd be Punch-Out. They need to treat it goofy though, it can be tame or Story of Ricky.
  • What is the appropriate physical response when someone leans their head on your shoulders?

Holy shit does this question make me sound nerdy and awkward.
  • What is the appropriate physical response when someone leans their head on your shoulders?

I smile and put my head on their's for a few seconds, and depending on how comfortable I am with them, I put my hand on their farthest shoulder.
  • ...and depending on how comfortable I am with them, I put my hand on their farthest shoulder.
    I do roughly this, but by moving my arm, I need to push their head from my shoulder, which I could see a person taking as an unfriendly gesture.
  • ...and depending on how comfortable I am with them, I put my hand on their farthest shoulder.
    I do roughly this, but by moving my arm, I need to push their head from my shoulder, which I could see a person taking as an unfriendly gesture.
    Oh. Hmm. If you can't make that full movement, maybe a hand on that arm/side? Works wonders for me. I've been told I'm comfy.
  • What is the appropriate physical response
    boner.
    But you immediately follow through with pulling them closer to you, which is certainly a friendly gesture.

Trust me, bro. Been there, awkward as fuck until you do it.

"STRANGER DANGER!" in Ralph Wiggum's voice.
  • edited February 2011
    You could try doing that shivering jump to try to jog them awake.
    Or fart continuously in progressively louder bursts while acting as though it's coming from them.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • You could try doing that shivering jump to try to jog them awake.

Or fart continuously in progressively louder bursts while acting as though it's coming from them.
    The final move - Fall asleep on them, while they sleep on you.
  • edited February 2011
    Hei Gaiz, For a while I wanted to try using a throat mic for my skype and gaming action, so that I 1) Can talk quietly late at night and 2) Won't get other people picked up in the background. Plus I can wear it out and look badass.

Has anyone had experience with throat mics?
  • Has anyone had experience with throat mics?
    Yeah, What about them?
  • edited February 2011
    Long term comfort (3 hours+), sound quality/clarity, sound occlusion?

Will need to modify the connectors to use 3.5mm x2 jacks.
  • edited February 2011
    Long term comfort (3 hours+), sound quality/clarity, sound occlusion?

Will need to modify the connectors to use 3.5mm x2 jacks.
    Long term comfort - providing you don't get a cheap shitty set, you get one suited to you, and you get one that's ajustable, generally, they're fine once you get used to them. You barely notice it's there, sometimes.
    Sound Quality and clarity depends on brand and model, just like any other microphone, but it will improve once you get used to using a throat mic over a normal mic.
    Sound occlusion varies - some cheap and shitty models, you don't get good sound occlusion, but most of them do pretty well, by virtue of having the mic pressed to your throat rather than dangling about in the breeze.

And, you can buy some with have the standard 3.5 jacks already on the cable, rather than having the two-prong radio jacks, or the like.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Nobody ever puts their head on my shoulder because I'm so short TwT
  • The final move - Fall asleep on them, while they sleep on you.
    Better: Fall asleep on the person on the other side, start a sleep train.
  • Better: Fall asleep on the person on the other side, start a sleep train.
    If it goes far enough, you end up with a sleep train train.
  • The final move - Fall asleep on them, while they sleep on you.
    That doesn't get you laid.