This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

1 session Quick Rpgs needed

edited December 2010 in Role Playing Games
Hey everyone, I am in a group that runs quick sessions of RPG's once a week. The games aren't long or campaign oriented and the players don't enjoy dungeon crawling much. (Thank God)
We have played; Inspectors, Dread, Zombie Cinema, Mouse Guard, Dnd, and Prime Time Adventures. I was thinking of running a more fun enjoyable game like Inspectors is where people all just have fun and play around. Yet the games I am finding, like Pokethulu and Violence aren't really games that can be played, they are more just fun to read.

I'm on the hunt for a copy of Kobolds Ate My Babies, but I can't find it anywhere.
Are there any games you guys have played that are a little obscure and fun for a 1 shot game?

Comments

• I have played Pokethulhu, and it can work. Also, you should definitely play Lacuna.
  • edited December 2010
    I don't have a lot of RPG experience, but I have really enjoyed my time spent playing...

[torch hands]
    ACTION CASTLE
    [/torch hands]

While not your pen, paper, and character sheeet type game, it does fit the description of being both quick and fun.

Edit: to the above post, while I've never played it, Rym's description of A Thousand and One Nights on the podcast a few months ago was awesome. That game sounds like the shit.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • What's not enjoyable and fun in Zombie Cinema. You know that it doesn't have to be all serious. Even in the most serious sessions of that I've played there has been lot's of jokes and fun time.

You could try Danger Patroll. Haven't played it myself, but it seems interesting and fun.
  • [torch hands]
    ACTION CASTLE
    [/torch hands]
    ACTION CASTLE over geekchats has been particularly amusing.
  • edited December 2010
    What's not enjoyable and fun in Zombie Cinema.
    I wasn't clear, sorry. Zombie Cinema was the MOST fun game we played actually. People enjoyed that and Inspectors the most. Prime Time Adventures is actually this Saturday, so I don't know how it will go over, and they weren't as keen on the rest because of the mechanics or mood.

I might try action Castle, during a different event as it was very funny and enjoyable, but it's more of a video game theme then a real role play.
    Fiasco was actually run a week before I started, but great idea. They still talk very highly of that game.
    I'll spend tonight researching Lacuna, Danger Patroll, and A Thousand and One Nights. Thank you everyone.
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • Don't Rest Your Head.
    Spirit of the Century.

Trust me.
  • Don't Rest Your Head.
    Ran short campaign of DRYH, it was quite good, but I see it more of a short campaign (~3 session) game rather than one-shot.
  • I have played Pokethulhu, and it can work. Also, you should definitely play Lacuna.
    I've game mastered Lacuna a few times now and I love it. You need to play it.

Also have a look at Contenders. It's an interesting boxing RPG. I haven't run it yet, but I'm very excited to do so.
  • Also have a look at Contenders. It's an interesting boxing RPG. I haven't run it yet, but I'm very excited to do so.
    That sounds like win.
  • Danger Patrol.
  • Not familiar with any of the others you mentioned, but this one is a total blast to play:
    Feng Shui

Hong Kong action movie roleplaying. Aww yeah. It's very good for one shots since all characters are based on templates in the source book/s. You don't even have to use the stock campaign setting (I never did) -- just anything that's all crazy kung fu action would suffice.
  • I recommend checking out the creator of Inspectres' site, http://memento-mori.com/

There are a handful of one-shot RPG's whose entire rulebooks are a handful of pages long. Clown Cops, shown here:

http://www.memento-mori.com/other/games/cops.html

always makes me laugh. It's Law and Order in a city turned into a circus where they send in the clowns for every circumstance.
  • I think I'm going to get Fiasco as my next purchase. I hear about it all the goddamn time, so I figured I should look into it.
  • I think I'm going to get Fiasco as my next purchase. I hear about it all the goddamn time, so I figured I should look into it.
    You can have my copy instead.
  • Not familiar with any of the others you mentioned, but this one is a total blast to play:
    Feng Shui

Hong Kong action movie roleplaying. Aww yeah. It's very good for one shots since all characters are based on templates in the source book/s. You don't even have to use the stock campaign setting (I never did) -- just anything that's all crazy kung fu action would suffice.
    Feng Shui is awesome.

This is a game that has a mechanic where your shotgun automatically gets a +2 if you remember to go "CHK-CHK" before you roll to fire.
  • You can have my copy instead.
    Yeah. Fiasco is fun, but mechanically weak. The playset is the best part of the game, but it falls flat to actually play in the playset.
  • Fiasco is fun, but mechanically weak.
    Does it lack lasting power, or can it not even see the setup through?

Danger Patrol lacks lasting power as well, but it carries through its setup very well.
  • Does it lack lasting power, or can it not even see the setup through?
    Making the playset is the setup, and after that it goes downhill. We've only played it once, though. I would gladly give it another go, just to see if we can't do better with it.
  • We can try to play it this weekend.
  • We can try to play it this weekend.
    Does anyone want to play any other games this weekend? Freemarket?
  • T&E. FUCKING T&E!
  • edited February 2011
    We can try to play it this weekend.
    I'd be down with that.
    T&E.; FUCKING T&E;!
    I dunno. I don't know if I'm feeling the T&E; lately. In a group with a bunch of people, I'm inclined to play a game with more than 4 people.

But we'll see.

EDIT: I think I'm really in a narrative game mode as of late. Possibly, it's related to running a Burning Wheel game every fucking week, and also memorizing 79 lines of Beowulf in order to perform in a bardic storytelling event.

God I'm such a nerd.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • In a group with a bunch of people, I'm inclined to play a game with more than 4 people.
    There are almost no good board games that take more than five.
  • There are almost no good board games that take more than five.
    Does Jungle Speed count? I really really like Jungle Speed. And Bananagrams.
  • Does Jungle Speed count? I really really like Jungle Speed.
    Jungle Speed is a tabletop sport, which is a subset of tabletop games. We'll definitely bring it and play it, don't you worry. ;^)
  • tabletop sport
    Seriously, we need to get the Olympic committee in on this shit. Imagine that. Olympic Jungle Speed.
  • Olympic Jungle Speed.
    Never were so many fingers broken in such a small amount of time.