This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110216 - Mahou Tsukai Tai OAV

edited February 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we recall the surprisingly solid 90s OAV Mahou Tsukai Tai (including its adorable opener). In the news, the New York International Children's Film Festival returns with, among other wonderful screenings, Time of Eve and Welcome to the Space Show. Also, the Pokemon Trainer Challenge comes to be.

Download MP3

Comments

• Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter
  • So much nostalgia with this show. Good god. I kinda want to revisit this series, but I kinda don't.
  • kinda want to revisit this series, but I kinda don't.
    Go for it. The OAV holds up.
  • Go for it. The OAV holds up.
    OMAHGOD SPOILARZZZ!!!!!!
  • SCREAM

:D

First episode in a while that I am scrambling to download and listen to. MTT is perhaps my favourite romantic comedy anime of all time.
  • edited February 2011
    Scott's Thing -My Little Pony AMV Epic
    The actual music video for the remix isn't as good as the AMV, but I think it's worth posting.

Also, another good mashup by the same artist. The one thing I don't approve of is that the base track (the one that is persistent in the background) never changes. I get that he's using it to establish unity throughout the track, but when it's actually the music for one the primarily featured vocal tracks, it's not so much a mash-up as just adding vocals from another track to a preexisting song (does that make sense?). It's a solid song, and I'd definitely play it in one of my sets, but it's not the highest quality mash-up i've ever heard, by far. Don't bother with most of his other stuff, they aren't very good.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Currently downloading a torrent of the OAV.
  • There's a Blockbuster in the town 30 minutes away from me and strangely enough it's a major University town (St. Francis Xavier University).
  • MTT also features two of the most painful-looking falls that I've ever seen in an anime. One when the reporter dude falls and cracks his tailbone from the helicopter drone, and the other when the main guy also falls from a similar drone and catches a chin up bar right in the mean bean machine.
  • Rym's Thing -Kevin Caldwell - Caffeine Encomium
    I didn't see this earlier. More nostalgia. I remember when I used to staff for Sakura Con and when I was a video room attendee, for fill tape, we would play AMVs by Kevin Caldwell. Good times.
    Currently downloading a torrent of the OAV.
    Same here. :D
  • My favorite ep of the OAV is the truth telling wand ep... You'll see.
  • My favorite ep of the OAV is the truth telling wand ep... You'll see.
    That was a damn fine episode.
  • edited February 2011
    Currently downloading a torrent of the OAV.
    Same here. :D
    It's a slow-ass torrent and I don't have any seeders connected to me :(
    EDIT: Found a better tracker. I wonder if I'm connected to anyone from the forum.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Just heard a description of the aPOKElypse!!!! And it was awesome, and sad!!! :]
  • It's a slow-ass torrent and I don't have any seeders connected to me :(
    EDIT: Found a better tracker. I wonder if I'm connected to anyone from the forum.
    I got mine from BakaBT. Only took 2 hours to get. Now I need to convert it. -____-
  • I used to really like this show when I was in middle school. I might even still have my fansubbed tapes in a box somewhere.

Regarding the "perversion," as I remember it wasn't that bad. I mean, there was a lot more underwear than any of the other animes I was watching at the time, but at the time I was around the same age as the characters and dealing with my own raging hormones, so the stuff in the show seemed totally appropriate. The various members having the hots for each other and their weird fantasies was a lot more realistic than the sort of chaste secret long-term crushes in other anime. I guess if you watched it later in life it wouldn't have that same sort of resonance.
  • Now I need to convert it. -____-
    Why? I got the same torrent, and it just works.

Also, this is legally available on DVD in the US, but out of print I'm sure.
  • edited February 2011
    Why? I got the same torrent, and it just works.
    It's in ogm format. I want to watch this on my tv. The 360 Windows Media Center and my PS3 does not support the file.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Why? I got the same torrent, and it just works.
    It's in ogm format. I want to watch this on my tv. The 360 Windows Media Center and my PS3 does not support the file.
    This is why I have a real computer connected to my TV, and I repeatedly suggest everyone else do the same.
  • This is why I have a real computer connected to my TV, and I repeatedly suggest everyone else do the same.
    Computer in one room. TV in another room. I just heard about TVersity and now I will NEVER have to convert again. Totally works and is awesome.
  • Computer in one room. TV in another room.
    Second computer.

Or, HDMI through the wall.
  • edited February 2011
    Second computer.

Or, HDMI through the wall.
    HDMI through wall is not an option. The distance is too far. I do have a laptop, but meh. Seriously, I did a few Google searches of how to watch ogm/mkv on the PS3 with TVersity. Had to change few settings on CCCP, and now I'm watching MTT (ogm) thru TVersity on my PS3. I just realized that's the dub version.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Had to change few settings on CCCP, and now I'm watching MTT (ogm) thru TVersity on my PS3. I just realized that's the dub version.
    I am not a fan of CCCP. It's so hacky. I don't know about TVersity. However, the file does have the japanese audio track. You just have to switch it. In VLC or MPlayer, it's just a keyboard shortcut.
  • I am not a fan of CCCP. It's so hacky. I don't know about TVersity. However, the file does have the japanese audio track. You just have to switch it. In VLC or MPlayer, it's just a keyboard shortcut.
    I don't mind the dub. I really don't remember which version I originally watched. That's pretty fucking magical you can switch from sub to dub. I did not realize that at all.

Oh shit, Lina Inverse is Nanaka Nakatomi.
  • You should do more episodes about these good older animes. Not that I would soon run out of stuff to watch, but it's still nice to learn about good series and especially ovas. I have endless list of anime series I should see, but there is lack of ovas and movies.

Now when I think about it, all ovas I have watched I have done so because of Geeknights.
  • You should do more episodes about these good older animes. Not that I would soon run out of stuff to watch, but it's still nice to learn about good series and especially ovas. I have endless list of anime series I should see, but there is lack of ovas and movies.

Now when I think about it, all ovas I have watched I have done so because of Geeknights.
    Combustible Campus Guardress. It's a classic. I think it's still floating around the internet in torrent form because it was never bought by any American company.
  • I am not a fan of CCCP.
    Typical Yankee Capitalist pigdog. Mother Russia will Prevail.
  • I am not a fan of CCCP.
    Typical Yankee Capitalist pigdog. Mother Russia will Prevail.
    Shits.
  • The TV series while not as good as the OVA. Is still worth a watch. It does follow up right after the ova. There is a meet the parents of the magic users gang episode that I remember being pretty funny.
  • edited February 2011
    Agreed on the TV series front. There are some things that bug me about it, like new side characters, lack of some old side characters (no Minowa or photographer guy), overuse of certain jokes, and the introduction of a couple minor plot holes, but overall, it's worth watching. There are still some really funny gags and episodes, and a couple really touching episodes too. There's even a really effective surreal episode, which is probably the best in the series (other good ones: the doors episode, the parent-teacher interviews ep that Josh mentioned, and the Hokkaido episode). Also, while there's a lot more "doing everyday stuff" in the TV series, there is a mystery going on in the background, which gradually gets explored and focused on more as the series goes on. It's not as good a mystery as the aliens, but it's still a decently compelling one with a satisfactory resolution, I'd say. Give it a shot.

Also, I actually really enjoy the MTT dub. I put it about equal with the sub. The first couple of OVA episodes are a little shaky, but the actors really get into their characters after a little while. It's great. I think I even like Jamie McGonnigal's Takeo more than the original Japanese by Masaya Onasaka. He's just clearly having so much fun with his character, it's infectious.

Does that torrent you guys downloaded come with the dub outtakes, by the way? Those are gold. If it doesn't, I could probably rip them and upload them somewhere for people. Those discs are long out of print, so it should be okay.

One last thing: I was surprised you guys didn't mention the Princess Tutu connection this series has. They share the same director (Junichi Sato) and lead character designer/animation director (Ikuko Ito). Even the main script writer, Chiaki Konaka, wrote a few episodes of Tutu. Given how much you guys like Princess Tutu, it's not surprising you also like MTT.
    Post edited by Eryn on