This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft Contest: Tertius (READ FOR UPDATE)

edited February 2011 in Video Games
Minecraft Beta 1.3 is out with:
* Implemented a new lighting engine with the help of MrMessiahs (can be turned off)
* Added beds. If all players in a map sleeps in a bed during night, the game immediately skips until morning
* Added three new half-size blocks
* Added Delay/Repeater redstone dust blocks
* New save file format, old maps need to be converted (that might take a while..)
* .. and a bunch of bug fixes and tweaks!

To mark the occasion, the new server map will be put up tonight. Tertius will be a 14-day campaign to build the coolest fort. Here are the rules:
* No spawning materials if you are an admin (or be disqualified).
* Griefing, as always, will not be tolerated.
* You must stay within a relatively close distance of the spawn point. I will be connecting various projects with roads. No trekking cross-country (this helps to keep load times manageable).
* Andrew and I will be judging entries based on aesthetics, innovation, utility, defensibility, and thematic approach.
* Forts must include both above-ground and below-ground components.
* No ludicrous "how high can it go" towers or straight-down mineshafts.
* Multiple building materials must be incorporated.
* Constructions must be defensible against mobs, though mobs will remain off during the construction process.
* You must be whitelisted in order to build.
* Constructions must fit into a fantasy RPG-type theme.
* No building words or iconography.
* Only members of the forum are allowed to participate.
* By logging in, participants are agreeing to the rules set forth here and to abide by any instructions from mods.

The contest lasts strictly through March 8. It will begin tonight at 10 p.m. Do not log in until 10 p.m.
The IP remains 71.72.32.192:25565.

Comments

• Nice! I was getting kinda bored of the same map. This will be a good change of pace.
  • ARGH! Dragging me back in!

Tonight Castle Sirako begins anew...
  • It's learning.
  • * No ludicrous "how high can it go" towers or straight-down mineshafts.
    I take offense to this. My tower/platorm model is extremely defensible in single player mode.
    I was getting kinda bored of the same map.
    I was really proud of my constructions. Do you know how hard it is to build a skybridge long enough to reach from my place to Mr. Macross.
  • I'll be participating in a non-competitive manner since I'll be judging.
  • Cool I'm so doing this and is it 10 p.m.EST or 10 p.m. CST or 10 p.m. PST?
  • Tertius is up and the new and improved whitelist is in place. The contest is hereby open.
  • I think I'm gonna sit this one out and just observe for the most part. Too many other things I need to be doing.
  • Yes, it's going to be massively slow and laggy the first time you log in. You are downloading and initializing the entire map.
  • I managed to find a nice spot for a castle, now to plan.
  • Can I be whitelisted? I'll only be looking and not building, but I still want to look.
  • edited February 2011
    Can I be whitelisted? I'll only be looking and not building, but I still want to look.
    Pretty much same here - If whitelisted I won't be participating, but I'm willing to help anyone out - I'm open to all in that offer, but as long as it's within reason, most likely just fetching basic materiel, and making/opening out a free mine, maybe making a resource repository later on - and I will likely be doing my usual weirdness, probably after the competition is over.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I just carved out a pretty substantial piece of the clifface near the spawn point. I built a wall so people know where my land is, but tomorrow, Imma gonna be getting a shit ton of sand and making a shit ton of glass.

Also, did anyone notice that stone slabs just look like cobblestone now? I really liked the clean looking slabs.
  • Yes, it's going to be massively slow and laggy the first time you log in. You are downloading and initializing the entire map.
    How come I didn't have this problem at all? The first time I logged on to Secondus it ran as smoothly as the test game I ran on my own laptop.
  • Also, did anyone notice that stone slabs just look like cobblestone now? I really liked the clean looking slabs.
    The old slabs are still there, they're just made with smooth stone now instead of cobble.
    How come I didn't have this problem at all? The first time I logged on to Secondus it ran as smoothly as the test game I ran on my own laptop.
    Because you didn't have five to ten people join a new server near simultaneously.
  • Are all forum members whitelisted automatically?
  • Are all forum members whitelisted automatically?
    No. You have to specifically ask to be whitelisted and give your minecraft username.
  • Ahh. In that case, can I get whitelisted?
    Username is the same -- Kenjindomini
  • I'll start today, so can you white-list me as well?
  • I will whitelist you when I am home from work.
    I say any new requests to be on the whitelist, the user will have to comply with subscribing to the ATW9K podcast and referring 5 friends to listen to it. ^____~
    I say any new requests to be on the whitelist, the user will have to comply with subscribing to the ATW9K podcast and referring 5 friends to listen to it. ^____~
    I really ought to listen to that eventually.
  • Whitelist Joshbytes please. Thanks
  • Note: Everyone who was whitelisted on Secondus is automatically whitelisted on Tertius. Because I can copy and paste.
  • A few days behind. Time to choose a nice spot.
  • Did a lot of synchronized sleeping with Jason last night. It's not what you think...
  • Wish that Minecraft.net were not down... SO I COULD PLAY THE GAME. Nobody has made a stink about Minecraft DRM for some reason....
  • Wish that Minecraft.net were not down... SO I COULD PLAY THE GAME. Nobody has made a stink about Minecraft DRM for some reason....
    Well, like almost every modern game, you can play the single player offline but not the multiplayer. Still sucks though.