This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up. When is the next NYC board game night? Do you bring your own games? Is there an enterance fee? What time do the start and how long do they go on for?
    http://nerdnyc.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=48155
  • Ok if I come Id try to make it to the city around 5. Any suggestions of where to eat? You could use my thread i started Places to Eat in Manhattan.
  • Ok if I come Id try to make it to the city around 5. Any suggestions of where to eat? You could use my thread i started Places to Eat in Manhattan.
    I can eat somewhere with you. I always get off work at 5 and have nothing to do for two hours before BGN starts at 7.
  • There is a reasonably priced restaurant less than a block from Think Coffee called Dojo. Not going to knock your socks off but it's not half bad and very convenient.
  • Oh and 7 Wonders is definitely the big hot game from 2010. Look forward to playing it at some point in the near future.
  • Someone told me there is a free and official way to play Race for the Galaxy online. Where is it, and does anyone want to play?
  • Someone told me there is a free and official way to play Race for the Galaxy online. Where is it, and does anyone want to play?
    I don't recall of any official way, but I recall Timo mentioning of way to play online.

And no, I don't want to play. I really don't care for that game. Having to memorize all those damn different symbols and what they represented was annoying to me.
  • And no, I don't want to play. I really don't care for that game. Having to memorize all those damn different symbols and what they represented was annoying to me.
    That is a major flaw in the game, but I finally figured it out (mostly). Once you get past that, it's Puerto Rico.
  • edited February 2011
    That is a major flaw in the game, but I finally figured it out (mostly). Once you get past that, it's Puerto Rico.
    Yeah, that's what most people say. It's just getting passed that curve that made it aggravating. Plus since my friends were really into that game, there was no chance in hell I would do well at all.

On a related note, play Dominion online.

I haven't played it, but a few friends have. They say it's pretty decent.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • There was an 18-page thread about it on the NerdNYC forum but it looks like it has been down since December. I was playing in the RoboRally online games there until they shut down in January.

I have heard other gaming podcasts mention yucata.de for online gaming. They don't have RftG, but they have a pretty big selection. Never checked out the site before. I'd be down for playing anything there.
  • edited February 2011
    Also, if NY/NJ people are craving board gaming, there is a local crappy hotel con in Morristown NJ this weekend. I was planning on going just for Saturday but helping a friend move instead then we are just going to play games at his place so we don't all have to pay their pricey admission. Was tempted to go Sunday instead since according to their schedule I could go Fresco -> Robo Rally -> 7 Wonders, but I'll probably need to have some downtime this weekend so Sunday is the odd day out. If anyone's interested it's calle Dreamation. Just google Dreamation 2011.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Wow, these AI players at RttG are tough as balls.
  • Ok, so I just played a game where I got six alien planets, and I came in second place 52 to 44.
  • I finally won, by one point. I had to get Galactic Imperium and 4 Rebel worlds, including Rebel Homeworld, just to qualify.
  • The AI is really rough and is kicked my ass the first dozen or so games but after that I'd say I can eek out wins about 70% of the time.
  • The AI is really rough and is kicked my ass the first dozen or so games but after that I'd say I can eek out wins about 70% of the time.
    I can win maybe 10% of the time. Basically I have to get a huge combo, and get lucky and draw all the right cards in the right order, including the 6-developments that I need. I've had the most success with military strategies because they allow me to settle without spending cards, so I can use my cards for developments and double up.
  • So I saw this news post about GAMA store awards:
    http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/19470.html

These are trade industry awards for things like best overall local game store, and best organized play. Included in the nominations were All Things Fun! of West Berlin, NJ which I have never heard of and is 1 hour from me. Will have to be checking this out. Also, Kings Games of Brooklyn, NY. I always thought the Strat was the only game in town. You guys been to this one? They were nominated for organized play. Are these nominations crap or gold?
  • I played Puerto Rico over the weekend for the first time. Damn, what an incredible game. It always shocks me how the German games have such complex rules and yet the game mechanics end up being fairly simple after an hour or so of play.

I think Puerto Rico might have surpassed La Havre for me, but they are definitely close in quality.
  • Also, Kings Games of Brooklyn, NY. I always thought the Strat was the only game in town. You guys been to this one? They were nominated for organized play. Are these nominations crap or gold?
    Never heard of it, but now I want to try it out. Going to BK is a pain, though. When it's warm I'll bike over, because it is easier.
    I think Puerto Rico might have surpassed La Havre for me, but they are definitely close in quality.
    I never played Le Havre, but I just bought it. We'll find out soon!
  • I've never played Le Havre either but Uwe Rosenberg makes some damn good games. If you ever want to play I'm down.

As for King Games, they have a decent website for a local game store: http://www.kingsgames.com/tour.php - This link has a bunch of pics. Looks like they have tons of table space. They're mostly focused around CCGs, though. Not surprised since collectibles are a common way for game shops make their dough, but I did spot Robo Rally and Hoity Toity in the pics. As for whether the shop is worth going to, probably comes down to whether the people running it are cool or not. I wish I could get a store less than 1 hour away that was not a BO-infested joint mostly used for miniatures combat.
  • Looks like they've got a board game night every other Thursday.
  • Also, if NY/NJ people are craving board gaming, there is a local crappy hotel con in Morristown NJ this weekend. I was planning on going just for Saturday but helping a friend move instead then we are just going to play games at his place so we don't all have to pay their pricey admission. Was tempted to go Sunday instead since according to their schedule I could go Fresco -> Robo Rally -> 7 Wonders, but I'll probably need to have some downtime this weekend so Sunday is the odd day out. If anyone's interested it's calle Dreamation. Just google Dreamation 2011.
    I live like 15-20 mins from there.... Hmmmm.
  • I can win maybe 10% of the time. Basically I have to get a huge combo, and get lucky and draw all the right cards in the right order, including the 6-developments that I need. I've had the most success with military strategies because they allow me to settle without spending cards, so I can use my cards for developments and double up.
    How many AI are you playing against? What expansions are you using?

I just feel like 10% is too low a win percentage. I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong since I know you're a smart man but how do you approach the game loosely?
  • I just feel like 10% is too low a win percentage. I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong since I know you're a smart man but how do you approach the game loosely?
    I haven't been playing with any expansions whatsoever, and I'm usually against 3 opponents. I want to figure out what I'm doing wrong in the regular game before I move on. Basically, my problem is that I don't know what to do when I don't get cards that combo nicely together. For example, if my starter world is military +2, and I don't have any military to start with, I feel like I'm screwed. Even if I explore +5 on the first turn to get started, the other players jump ahead because they start with things that go nicely with their starter worlds. Also, sometimes I'll get off to a really good start on a combo, and the high-end cards will never appear, no matter how many I draw. For example, I'll get alien starter world, and the +6 alien development, and then not enough alien cards to actually win it, even though other people aren't necessarily going alien.
  • You may be too committed to a path early on. Starting with New Sparta (The +2 military world) is only good , IMO, if I have a military windfall world I could play on turn 1 or 2. Military as a strategy generally has trouble getting cards in its hand but if it does get enough of the right worlds, it can be brutal. If military isn't presenting itself, just go for a trade/consume strategy. Make as many of the highest quality worlds that you can, produce and consume for more cards and points and keep going.

You're behind the 8 ball a little bit by playing base only with 3 players. In that setup, you get one starting world so its super random. In the later expansions, there is a mechanic where each player gets dealt one of each type of starting world (military and non) so you get to pick. That's far superior because some starting worlds are clearly better than others. Getting lame starting worlds while the opponent(s) get more powerful ones is extremely annoying as I feel there are certain worlds that require very specific paths to win with.

Honestly, the game evolves and gets better with expansions. I recommend playing with them. The designer has gone on record that certain strats, he felt, were under and over powered in the base game and he really does a nice job of addressing it in the expansions.
  • nerdnyc
    You guys going tomorrow? I've actually got work in the city tomorrow so I'll be in early before game night.
  • If only I lived in/near NYC... =/
  • I'll
    Oh, shit. I forgot that it's tomorrow. I just got Le Havre.
  • I'll
    Oh, shit. I forgot that it's tomorrow. I just got Le Havre.
    Time to bust out that rulebook.
  • If only I lived in/near NYC... =/
    NerdSeattle does not have that same phonetic ring to it, but would udoubtedly be just as fun. Grab your city by the balls and start a group!