This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070515 - Classic Battletech

RymRym
edited May 2007 in Board Games
Tonight on GeekNights, we review and reminisce about Battletech. In the news, there's a rumour of Nintendo Power's imminent demise, and PS3 kids are "sharing" with their friends.

Scott's Thing - Videogame Maps
Rym's Thing - Rym Waits

Comments

• I am not sure if it's already been posted on but Paizo Publishing (makers of Dragon and Dungeon magazines) is going to have their licensing pulled for D&D pulled by WotC. I've loved reading both of the magazines for years and let me just say that this sucks. But on a lighter note, they are planning on making a web based mag. Pyramid did this for SJ Games a while ago and it's been working for them. Anyways here is Paizo's CEO release about all of this. http://paizo.com/transition/ceo
  • edited May 2007
    Dragon magazine has sucked for a loooooooong time. Their heyday was prior to second edition. They were OK when second edition was all the rage and they went into serious decline soon after 3E came out.

Nintendo Power going away? I only get it because I get it for free by registering my games on nintendo.com

Rym, the secret to berry farming in Diamond/Pearl is to water the plants just as the flowers start to bloom.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • You guys briefly mentioned the books set in the Battletech universe and the backstory. Has anyone read any of the novels? I had Mechwarrior 2 and Mercenaries back in the day, and I loved those games. DAMN if the clans shouldn't wipe the floor with the inner sphere every time.
  • Loved your Thing of the Day, Rym.
  • Wasn't there a law suit filed about BattleTech using Robotech mecha?
  • I have read a couple of the Battletech books and for the most part they are light weight pulp sci-fi. Much of the Classic Battletech universe starts to get very muddled once the concept of the Clans are introduced on or around 3050. The Mechs start getting a little cheesy due to the "advanced" Clan technology. Essentially...everything is lighter, more accurate, and more generally bad ass than Inner Sphere hardware.

I really enjoyed the episode about a game I really enjoy. Another game similar in look and feel to Battletech is Car Wars from Steve Jackson Games. It is all about customization and it takes the Demo Derby action to a whole new place. Thanks Rym and Scott for highlighting the genre of "Games too complicated to be played by anyone except those who really want it!"
  • Car Wars is a great game. I downloaded an Excel spreadsheet a while back (with macros) that was very good for car construction.

The newer version of Car Wars is meh.
  • edited May 2007
    I had an idea, why don't you guys setup a Classic Battletech game at Connecticon. Probably late one night at the con. Any of the forum goers, or listeners of the show could use those software tools you talked about to create their mechs ahead of time (after rules and limits have been established,) and then bring them to the con and duke it out, or something to that affect.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • Not Battletech but a big Pokemon event!
  • I had an idea, why don't you guys setup a Classic Battletech game at Connecticon.
    The only reason I'm hesitant is that we're already (very likely) going to be running a great deal of programming there already.
  • All I can say is that NES was really cool and a good video game system. The PS3 story was a good one also . That's why X-box 360 has it were when you buy the 120 GB hard drive and covert for memory from the 20 GB hard-drive that you cannot in turn take that memory from the 120 GB hard drive and put it in the 20 GB or another 120 GB hard drive again and people what to know why. It's because people would make extra copies of their files and give those saves and XBLA games to all their friends that why. It's all about the bottom line when it all send and done. I don't blame Microsoft for that one.
  • edited May 2007
    Have you guys heard of a game called Heavy Gear? I have/had(not sure) the two PC games, and they had ads for the board game, although when I got them I had no idea why anyone would want that when you had a PC game. Is it about the same sorta thing as Battletech?
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Have you guys heard of a game called Heavy Gear? I have/had(not sure) the two PC games, and they had ads for the board game, although when I got them I had no idea why anyone would want that when you had a PC game. Is it about the same sorta thing as Battletech?
    The Heavy Gear board game is effectively the same as Battletech. It's not exactly the same, but it's a turn-based strategy game where you have customizable robots battle each other. The games are identical in the way that Uncle Wiggly and Candy Land are identical. However, Heavy Gear does have more role playing elements than Battletech does. It's really not that important, though, because if you want to get your RPG on, you can play Mechwarrior, the official Battletech RPG.

The Heavy Gear video game is a weird case. Basically, Activision had the rights to publish all the Mechwarrior games. Then one day, Microsoft bought FASA, which they own to this day. This is why Microsoft is able to make games like Shadowrun and 'Mech Assault. At the time this happened, 'mech games were still very popular. Mechwarrior 2 was game of the year and Mechwarrior: Mercenaries sold many copies. Microsoft's Mechwarrior 3 was going to ride on that wave, but the game itself fell s hort. Activision wanted to continue publishing 'mech games to compete with Microsoft, so they licensed Heavy Gear.

So yeah, Heavy Gear exists. It's good to know it exists. There are some people who will insist that it is better than Battletech for whatever reason. In reality, Heavy Gear is mostly redundant.
  • I own both MW3 and Heavy Gear, and I will say this right now: Heavy Gear is a joke compared to MW3. The controls are awkward, it makes poor use of the joystick, and frankly, the ability to customize mechs were nowhere near as great as MW3.

Speaking of which, anyone up for a round of MW3? No one online has yet been able to beat me, perhaps someone on this forum could show some skill?
  • Uh, any recommendations on a Battletech starter set? Never played it, am interested in trying it, but not sure what to get.

Thanks.
  • edited May 2007
    This is the core rulebook.
    You will also need some hexagonal maps like these. They used to sell a starter box that had two maps, cardboard minis, two dice, mech sheets, and simpler versions of the rules. It appears this set is presently out of print. Call local nerdy stores to see if you can find it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Actually, I prefer Heavy Gear II over MW3. Heavy Gear is more power suits, where Battletech is more shitty junkyard giant robots. I still enjoy playing some Battletech though.

Oh, and just pick up the Classic Battletech box. Not sure how much it is now, but it was like $40 U.S. when I got mine back in the 80's. Exactly the same price as Laser Tag, oddly enough.
  • edited August 2007
    Uh, any recommendations on a Battletech starter set? Never played it, am interested in trying it, but not sure what to get.
    The awesome new starter box set comes out at the end of the month. I snagged one up at Gen Con and have in the past week played more Battletech than I have in the past six years. It has 24 plastic minis, instead of cardbord like the old one.

Also, Tabletop Gaming News did an interview with Catalyst Game Labs, the company that currently owns Classic Battletech, at Gen Con.
    Post edited by J.Sharp on