This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime Boston 2011

edited February 2011 in Conventions
So, AB is coming up. Who's going, who's got stuff planned?

So far, I'm only in on one panel, and my friend Will is doing one by himself:

Friday, April 22nd:
11 AM - 1 PM: Craziest Mecha Moments, Season 2. Same idea as last year, but all new clips!

Sunday, April 24th:
1 PM - 2 PM: A Gundam in a Skirt: Magical Girls and Mechs aren't that Different. This is my friend Will's solo panel. In it, he discusses, in a fairly academic tone, why two genres of anime that seem to have little in common are actually nearly the same genre.

Comments

• We're doing our usual lineup of 3-4 panels. Actually new stuff we haven't run at an AB before. ^_^
  • Awesome. Anything opposite Mecha Moments again this year? :P
  • Current panels I'm presenting (times/locations not listed, since they've already changed twice):

- Anime Opening/Ending Themes (lecture)
    - Animating Music in Anime About Music (lecture)
    - Experts of Fan Controversy (panel)

Also, have a bunch of waitlisted panels that might get in.
  • I'll be going to it. Thank God it's not the weekend after PAX East again.
  • Would anybody be interested in a Forum Breakfast or something like that on Sunday?
  • edited February 2011
    Whoops thought this was for PAX east :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I'll be there. Not sure I'll be able to hit a forum breakfast as I'm all like on staff and stuff, though.
  • I'm not going to AB this year, it's Easter weekend for me. Despite very much being an atheist, it's still a big family gathering for me.
  • I should be going on Saturday.
  • Does anyone know when to expect the panel schedule?
  • Do you have any specific questions about the panel schedule? I'm the panel coordinator. :)

Anyway, I'll hopefully have the online panel schedule up by the end of this week or next weekend.
  • Nothing specific, I'll just wait 'till the schedule's out. Thanks.
  • So, I think Beluga worked pretty awesome for PAX, so when the con gets closer, I'll probably set up a pod for AB.

And I promise not to post about my belt on this one. :3c
  • Doing my stand-up comedy
    Anime One-Night Stands
    MC'ing the Masquerade for the 3rd year.
    Any panel you see hosted by Mecha Software LLC. I think we're doing a Post Mordem video game panel and voice actor auditions.
  • I did not know TWY was Uncle Yo.

Mind explosion.
  • At this point I seem to be on three panels: The Family That Geeks Together (I'm the mom), Hello Kitty Holyland, and I just volunteered to be in Get Offa My Lawn.

(Awesome, Droid just tried to autocorrect "Holyland" to "Holland." I wanna go to Hello Kitty Holland now.)

Can I get in on the beluga pod? jennifer@thosedarncats.net . If posting about belts is discouraged, I promise to avoid doing so.
  • Jeeze... Just how many AB panelists do we have lurking in these forums? Seems like a new one shows up every couple of days. :)
  • Can I get in on the beluga pod? jennifer@thosedarncats.net . If posting about belts is discouraged, I promise to avoid doing so.
    I'm probably going to start it about two weeks before the con. No point in doing it much earlier.
  • Anyone know what's up with the panel schedule? It seems kinds late.
  • edited March 2011
    As I happen to be the director of panels programming at AB, I'll let you know what's up.

We've had quite a bit of guest shuffling recently, some of it due to the disaster in Japan (fortunately none of our guests were caught up in that mess, but it did have an impact on some of their schedules). The guest situation just settled down last night (for now, and hopefully for good), with the exception of a 2 hour guest panel block that's still up in the air. I'm planning on finishing up the fan panel schedule over the next couple of days (maybe even tonight) and once that's done, I'll hit the magic "publish to web" button and get the first schedule draft online. Depending on what happens with that guest block and how the fan panels feel after their latest reshuffling, it should be at least 99% of what the actual schedule at con will be.

We're also going to be using the Conventionist app on your iPhone and Android phones (sorry Rym, no Pre version) as an additional source of scheduling information.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • sorry Rym, no Pre version
    No love is lost from me on a lack of support for a dying tree. ;^)
  • We're also going to be using the Conventionist app on your iPhone and Android phones (sorry Rym, no Pre version) as an additional source of scheduling information.
    Awww yeah.
  • BTW, as a sign to all you MLP:FIM fans that this show may have some sort of great destiny, one of the musical guests is coincidentally named STEREOPONY.
  • BTW, as a sign to all you MLP:FIM fans that this show may have some sort of great destiny, one of the musical guests is coincidentally named STEREOPONY.
    Quote from their bio on the Anime Boston web site.
    Their debut single "Hitohira No Hanabira" was the 17th ending theme for the famous anime series “BLEACH”
    Bleach! Y U HAVE 17+ ENDINGS?
    Yay!
  • The Anime Boston 2011 preliminary schedule is now online.
    7 Panel rooms how many panels do you turn down a year? Gees.
  • The Anime Boston 2011 preliminary schedule is now online.
    "Programming Schedule

Sorry, but the programming schedule for Anime Boston 2011 is not currently available."
  • Okay, I had to flip it back off (doh!) due to an error. I'll let you know when it gets turned back on. Sorry about that.

Yeah, we got a whole extra panel room this year... Caught me off guard and that was part of the reason why it took me so long to finish the schedule -- someone caught that extra room only a couple weeks ago. The vast majority of our panels were accepted, but we did reject a double-digit number of panels. Some of them were due to scheduling conflicts as opposed to "not being good enough" however -- such as some hentai panels when we were already out of hentai slots, etc.