This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX withouth Penny Arcade? (C2E2 in Chicago)

edited February 2011 in Everything Else
Seems like that's what Reed Exhibitions is trying to accomplish with their C2E2 con, or at least inject a little PAX flavor into it:

http://www.mediumatlarge.net/2011/02/gaming-at-c2e2.html

For a comic-con, it sure as hell doesn't sound like NYCC, which they also run. I think the strategy here is to give a PAX-like event for those midwesterners who can't make it to the coast, and why wouldn't you adopt that strategy? PAXes sell out like hotcakes.

Comments

• Gaming at C2E2 will not be anything close to a PAX-like experience.
  • Oh I know it won't even come close, but it will be like this tiny slice. I think the magic ingredient to PAX is Penny Arcade though. They bring their "don't be a dick" mantra. You won't get that at a comic-con, so their attempt to slice off some gaming may fail. If not, good job to them bringing gaming to Chicago.
  • Oh I know it won't even come close, but it will be like this tiny slice. I think the magic ingredient to PAX is Penny Arcade though. They bring their "don't be a dick" mantra. You won't get that at a comic-con, so their attempt to slice off some gaming may fail. If not, good job to them bringing gaming to Chicago.
    It's probably not any more gaming than there is at NYCC. Which is to say, a WotC area.
  • It's probably not any more gaming than there is at NYCC. Which is to say, a WotC area.
    Reed listens and pays attention. They do their best. But the nature of their base programming when PAX isn't involved is often lacking.
  • edited February 2011
    Of course, big WotC area, but also a Rock Band stage, a console freeplay area, a tabletop freeplay area, quidditch court, PC area (Sponsored by EA and only for demoing Battlefield 3)
    Table top area says they have a library with (at a minimum) "Settlers of Catan, Forbidden Island, Chicken Cha Cha Cha, Dominion, Ticket to Ride, and Carcassonne. " I have never heard of Chicken Cha Cha. Am I missing something?

Looks like they are charging $10 for entry into the gaming side of the con, which might be a mistake. Also says open until 10PM instead of closing at 6PM with the expo hall.

Console freeplay is all 360. They claim it to be very large, and that all the 360s come equiped with Turtle Beach headsets. That is a novel concept, actually hearing your game in console freeplay, although I would never be playing anything in there that didn't evolve immense amounts of smack talking (smash bros) and therefore no headset on.

This is all to say: if you live within local driving distance of Chicago, then you should probably think about going. Me, 12 hours away? I'll never go.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Looks like they are charging $10 for entry into the gaming side of the con
    Bad news indeed. Charging for portions of the con instead of one badge fee is the road to bad things.
  • Looks like they are charging $10 for entry into the gaming side of the con
    Bad news indeed. Charging for portions of the con instead of one badge fee is the road to bad things.
    I can't quite figure out their logic. Are their really fans that wouldn't attend a con based on a $10 difference in badge fee? There are plenty that will keep that money in their pockets once they arrive, though.