This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110302 - My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

edited March 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss the hit new animated series My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. It's a reboot of the My Little Pony universe produced by Studio B Productions, and it has some surprising demographics. There's also a Thundercats reboot coming involving Studio 4C, and Bone is coming in color (again)!

Download MP3

Comments

• Rym's Thing - Anime News Nina on Family CircusRym's Thing - Family Circus: Once Funny?
    That's kinda funny because I just read this from a friend's Twitter right before this was posted.
  • Rym's Thing - Family Circus: Once Funny?

I remember when Family Circus taught me to speak Spanish
  • edited March 2011
    Here's a recording from the same event a year earlier as the thing of the day video. Seems to have better image quality, but the rider is looking down a bit more. I hope I'm not saying something that was said during the podcast, I wont get time to listen to it before tomorrow morning.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I suppose this thread is for the other stuff talked about since MLP has two threads dedicated to it.
  • I kinda want to do that downhill urban BMX, but I'm probably too old and I'll die.
  • I've been to Valparaiso, and walked down streets very much like that race track. I'd love to go down on a bike, at speed, but not between some of those rails and down those steps. I'd stick to the road surface.
  • More Go-Pro goodness. A skier falls backwards off a cliff. There. I've told what will happen. Now watch the video and see if you can see it coming.
  • I'd stick to the road surface.
    Yeah, I imagine that's how these guys practiced before they switched to hard mode.
  • More Go-Pro goodness. A skier falls backwards off a cliff. There. I've told what will happen. Now watch the video and see if you can see it coming.
    I've heard that this video was uploaded by the maker of the camera, and the guy wasn't hurt. That gives me just a tiny bit of skepticism into whether this fall was 100% accidental. Only a tiny bit, though.
    And that's why you shouldn't keep your skis totally parallel while putting them on. You'll fall backwards off a cliff.
    I've heard that this video was uploaded by the maker of the camera, and the guy wasn't hurt. That gives me just a tiny bit of skepticism into whether this fall was 100% accidental. Only a tiny bit, though.
    So if I was going to fake a shot of me falling down a cliff, it would include me trying to ski over jagged rocks at high speed and intentionally falling over other jagged rocks?
  • So if I was going to fake a shot of me falling down a cliff, it would include me trying to ski over jagged rocks at high speed and intentionally falling over other jagged rocks?
    I'm just saying it's possible that it's a setup, not that it's likely. If the camera maker put their logo in the video, then I would say it was definite.
  • I'm just saying it's possible that it's a setup, not that it's likely. If the camera maker put their logo in the video, then I would say it was definite.
    There is enough awesome footage captured by Go-Pro cameras (see your own thing of the day) that there is no need for anyone to intentionally do something as stupid as ski-ing backwards off a cliff above many rocks and not much snow.
  • I think the most surprising thing about the video is that his skis stayed on the whole way down and there's little indication that either of his ankles are horribly broken.
  • So, since you mentioned that the shirt is going to sell out soon-ish, will I finally get to give you my money without using a service such as USunlocked?
  • So, since you mentioned that the shirt is going to sell out soon-ish, will I finally get to give you my money without using a service such as USunlocked?
    Yeah, RYM.
  • Yeah, RYM.
    Yeah, GOOGLE.
  • Yeah, GOOGLE.
    Yeah, JASON.
  • Yeah, JASON.
    Yeah, CONCEPT OF LIMITED MONOPOLIES.

• Seeing as Craig McCracken was the guy who hired Rick to Roll on national television, I wouldn't be surprised if Faust looked over the shoulder of some animator and said "give that pony troll face."
  • Seeing as Craig McCracken was the guy who hired Rick to Roll on national television
    That's news to me. I mean, I knew about the Roll, but I didn't know Craig did it.
  • You guys mentions some PMVs in the show, but I missed the names. Can you link those, please?
  • Specifically, they mentioned this one:

Fuck, now I'm going to get it stuck in my head again.
  • edited March 2011
    Hmm. You said MLP as an initialism but FIM as an acronym.
    So MLP:FIM is neither!

Also, Gandalf girthing is a term I will definitely remember.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Well, you went and did it. You mentioned Gandalf and MLP:FiM in the same paragraph. Now this:
  • I'm shocked you guys have never heard of Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends.