This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Putting Up a web site

edited April 2007 in Technology
After finally completing my web page in HTML Web design class, I need place to put it. The Web page will host my art, models, and other stuff. The only problem is that Road Runner (Internet Provider) allows you to host pages but at only a few megabytes. I need a least 300 or more MB and I want my own URL (EX: http://www.moriokunstudios.com). So where can I host it, but for a reasonable price?

And while were on the topic, what's the difference between a .net and .com?

Thanks

Comments

• edited April 2007
    Someone will likely come along shortly and provide a much better explanation than I ever could. But since no one's responded yet...

I hear Godaddy.com has reasonable prices. They'll take care of both hosting and domain name registration. I'm just going off of hearsay, though, as I haven't used them myself.

As for .net vs .com, they're just different top-level domains.
    Post edited by clay on
  • I've seen this one web hosting ad on my issues of Wired. I don't know how good they are but they look to be the cheapest deal around. The lowest package deal is 2.99 a month. Which gets you 10Gig storage and 300Gig transfers.

1&1
  • If you aren't doing anything fancy or interesting, just get the cheapest hosting that works. If it doesn't work, just move somewhere else. It's not like you have a zillion visitors or anything, so if you have some downtime when you switch, who cares? You can have the same domain no matter who your host is, so it's not like your visitors care if you move.

It only matters who your host is if you are doing something weird or if you actually have visitors.
  • If you aren't doing anything fancy or interesting, just get the cheapest hosting that works. If it doesn't work, just move somewhere else. It's not like you have a zillion visitors or anything, so if you have some downtime when you switch, who cares? You can have the same domain no matter who your host is, so it's not like your visitors care if you move.

It only matters who your host is if you are doing something weird or if you actually have visitors.
    And then it matters a shit-ton!

I get between 1-2K pageviews a day on my blog and I have no problems. I only have problems when I get 4k+ hits an hour. When that happens my "shared" hosting collapses. I only pay a couple bucks a month so I can't complain that much.
  • When I'm on GoDaddy.com there asking for a Linux or Windows.
    Which one? I'm assuming Linux but just want to check.
  • If you already signed up for GoDaddy then it's probably too late. Otherwise I'd recommend www.powweb.com I used them for a while and they are fantastic. and it's sunny but raining...WTF? Sorry...

What's so great about Powweb? Really easy to admin through their web interface (I hate GoDaddy's...it's so cluttered.), it's cheap - $7.77 a month is pretty good in my opinion (actually I just checked and it's currently $5.77).

As for Windows over Linux...I'd recommend Linux. The powweb server I used was linux (I don't remember if they even gave an option) and it wasn't even noticeable. I helped someone use a GoDaddy account sometime after I had used Powweb and it was setup with windows. It was frustrating because I found it easier to find tools and things that ran on linux rather than on windows unless you want to pay for the tools.
  • I use godaddy for my domain registrations but not hosting.
  • I use godaddy for domain and hosting, and they are probably the best service I've used for either. I recommend the Linux server since it provides more options than the Windows servers.
  • I prefer to keep my domain registration and web hosting through different providers.
  • I haven't actually signed up yet all I want to know is should I use Linux or Windows for the server and will it be compatible with my Windows XP?
  • I haven't actually signed up yet all I want to know is should I use Linux or Windows for the server and will it be compatible with my Windows XP?
    What OS you are using doesn't effect(affect?) the way you interact with your server at all.