This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Quick question: should I go out tonight? Vote now to influence Luke's social life!
    No, get something you've been putting off done and then get to sleep early. ;^)

I have forced myself to do this a few nights recently, and I've been more well rested and on top of things as a result.
  • edited February 2011
    Quick question: should I go out tonight? Vote now to influence Luke's social life!
    Why not?
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • should I go out tonight? Vote now to influence Luke's social life!
    Where would you go out, and would there be ladies involved?
  • I stayed in. Rym was very convincing. Also I looked at my calendar and realized I'd be going out late on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and probably Sunday. And I was out last night too. Getting an early night suddenly seemed more important! Bed by midnight for the first time this year? I'll give it a go!
  • edited February 2011
    Our luggage set is on its way out. As a gift, Adam received a Victorinox Swiss Werks Traveler 3.0 Deluxe 24" Travel Bag with a matching duffel. This size will meet our combined needs for shorter trips (which we take at least once a month). This seems to be nice luggage (it is untested by us, but it has good reviews and is - IMO - rather pricey). For longer trips (which we take less frequently), we need a larger and a smaller piece (both wheeled) to completely replace our old set, but we are unwilling to spend the amount of money it would take to purchase these sizes in the Victorinox set.
    So, my question is this, what luggage would y'all recommend?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • So, my question is this, what luggage would y'all recommend?
    I once went to Germany for a week with only the clothes in a backpack.
  • edited February 2011
    So, my question is this, what luggage would y'all recommend?
    We pack as a couple and while we pack much lighter than we used to (learned that lesson the hard way), our trips often involve vastly varying activities that may require equipment or bulkier outerwear. We also always pack one smaller suitcase into a larger one, so that we have room for any purchases made while on the trip (we do a lot of advanced holiday/gift shopping when we travel).
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I was just saying that I'm not the person to ask about luggage. There's light packers and then there's me. I rarely bring more than a backpack on an airplane if it can be avoided.
  • I was just saying that I'm not the person to ask about luggage. There's light packers and then there's me. I rarely bring more than a backpack on an airplane if it can be avoided.
    I have this thing about wanting to wear reasonably clean clothing. It could just be me, but I am not so certain. ^_~
  • I learned how to pack for vacations from my mom, which means what I pack is very practical as I am prepared for almost any situation, but also a pain in the ass as I usually over pack.
  • I actually need new luggage myself. That rolling one I've been using for the last couple of years tore itself apart on account of it being a cheapo POS from an outlet store.
  • edited February 2011
    I have this thing about wanting to wear reasonably clean clothing. It could just be me, but I am not so certain. ^_~
    So that's why you're so much more stylish than me, interesting.

As for luggage, I've had good luck with samsonite stuff when I'm in need of an actual suitcase.

EDIT: And this appears to be a wicked awesome bargain.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • What rhymes with omae wa mo shindeiru?
  • So, my question is this, what luggage would y'all recommend?
    We pack as a couple and while we pack much lighter than we used to (learned that lesson the hard way), our trips often involve vastly varying activities that may require equipment or bulkier outerwear. We also always pack one smaller suitcase into a larger one, so that we have room for any purchases made while on the trip (we do a lot of advanced holiday/gift shopping when we travel).
    Get an actual travel pack (or two), on the order of a 70 cu ft pack.
  • Are machine guns a kind of robot?
  • Are machine guns a kind of robot?
    No. It's a mechanical device, but it has no agency of it's own. Essentially, it's no more a robot than a pair of wire strippers.
  • The definition of "robot" is rather vague, but I definitely wouldn't call a machine gun a robot.
  • edited March 2011
    The definition of "robot" is rather vague, but I definitely wouldn't call a machine gun a robot.
    The way I figure it is that there is some independence from your direct physical intervention or action. For example, I pull the trigger on a gun, that's a direct mechanical link from the trigger to the firing pin. But, a computer driven CNC machine - which I would consider a robot, though a very basic one - I hit the go button, and then it performs an operation without my further intervention, or without me having any direct mechanical intervention.

EDIT - Edited linkage to Link for clarity.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • A washing machine is a kind of robot, as it has independent control over its actions, using data gathered by its own sensors.
  • edited March 2011
    The definition of "robot" is rather vague, but I definitely wouldn't call a machine gun a robot.
    The way I figure it is that there is some independence from your direct physical intervention or action. For example, I pull the trigger on a gun, that's a direct mechanical link from the trigger to the firing pin. But, a computer driven CNC machine - which I would consider a robot, though a very basic one - I hit the go button, and then it performs an operation without my further intervention, or without me having any direct mechanical intervention.

EDIT - Edited linkage to Link for clarity.
    The distinction between mechanical and otherwise with regard to the link seems an arbitrary one to me.
    If you hooked up a microcontroller to a button and an actuator placed on the trigger of a machine gun, and programmed code that amounted to
    "If the button is pressed, pull the trigger"
    into the microcontroller, that wouldn't be any different from just a plain machine gun, and I wouldn't call it a robot either.
    A washing machine is a kind of robot, as it has independent control over its actions, using data gathered by its own sensors.
    What does it mean to have independent control over actions?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • What does it mean to have independent control over actions?
    You left off the important part, and that is the "using data gathered by its own sensers." The important part is some kind of feedback from the actions so far committed, which then modifies later actions.
  • edited March 2011
    That, I can agree with (I was already thinking of defining a robot simply in terms of feedback myself), but you did not mention feedback until your most recent post.
    A machine gun has a sensor - the trigger - but there is no feedback.
  • However, is, say, a negative feedback amplifier a robot?
  • The distinction between mechanical and otherwise with regard to the link seems an arbitrary one to me.
    If you hooked up a microcontroller to a button and an actuator placed on the trigger of a machine gun, and programmed code that amounted to
    "If the button is pressed, pull the trigger"
    into the microcontroller, that wouldn't be any different from just a plain machine gun, and I wouldn't call it a robot either.
    No, it wouldn't be - Because it's a essentially a switch, attached to a machine gun. You're exchanging your mechanical action for electronic switch, but it's still your action pressing the button which fires the gun. You are still firing the gun, just by pressing a button instead of pressing a trigger. If that gun is attached to a machine that when you switch it on, decides upon a target, aims, and fires on the target, that would be a robot, in my eyes.

However, that also raises the question, what is a robot? If you attach a robotic firing platform to a machine gun, Is that a robotic Machine gun, or is that a Robot with a machine gun mounted on it?

I really don't know - there isn't a definition of what a robot is, unfortunately.
  • I really don't know - there isn't a definition of what a robot is, unfortunately.
    That's why we're trying to make one.
    However, that also raises the question, what is a robot? If you attach a robotic firing platform to a machine gun, Is that a robotic Machine gun, or is that a Robot with a machine gun mounted on it?
    If you ask me, it's both.
  • If you ask me, it's both.
    Ah, I disagree, for one simple reason - there is an easy, sensible way to distinguish the two, now that I think about it.
    If the Machinegun is integral to the robot, a central part to it that without it, you essentially have a pile of useless parts, really, a machine gun and a robot that were designed as one unified part that is a Robotic Machine gun.
    For a visual example, I'd consider this to be a Robotic Machine gun - Well, technically, a Robotic Gatling gun, but that's another issue - Because it Finds, tracks, Fires upon, and confirms the kill essentially on it's own.
    Ladies and gents, the Phalanx CIWS -

However, a Robot which is capable of mounting a weapon, but is still able to operate without it, or with a different weapon in it's place - as in, the weapon is not an integral part of the robot - I would consider it a robot with a mounted Machine Gun.
    Visual example - A Robotex AH, With twin mounted AA-12 shotguns - both of which are unmodified, apart from the trigger guard.
    As a side note, I'd suggest putting some bigger magazines on those. Between those two, you have potentially 18 rounds - 8 round magazines, plus one in each chamber - where you could add more rounds with a single shotgun and a nice 30 round drum. Hell, Mount two on there in such a way that would fit, and you have 62 rounds at your disposal.
  • Hey lets not give these robots any ideas. ok?
  • edited March 2011
    If the Machinegun is integral to the robot, a central part to it that without it, you essentially have a pile of useless parts, really, a machine gun and a robot that were designed as one unified part that is a Robotic Machine gun.
    I agree with this definition, and I would say that it makes sense to call something a robotic machine gun if and only if it is a robot for which the primary purpose is to shoot shit. However, if you disable the machine gun, I'd say that what's left should still generally count as a robot.

On the other hand, if you have a robot whose main purpose is something other than shooting shit, calling it a robotic machine gun would be a poor description.

Still, my answer to your question remains "both", because in the example you gave, you said it was a robotic firing platform, which implies its main purpose is to have a gun and shoot shit. However, it is still a robot even when it doesn't have a gun, albeit possibly a useless one.
  • Still, my answer to your question remains "both", because in the example you gave, you said it was a robotic firing platform, which implies its main purpose is to have a gun and shoot shit. However, it is still a robot even when it doesn't have a gun, albeit possibly a useless one.
    Oh yeah, I did. You're absolutely right. Sorry about that.