This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070516 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex both gigs

edited May 2007 in GeekNights
Tonight on Geeknights we briefly discuss both both gigs of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. In the news, Free Comic Book Day was fun and Otakon has an awesome voice acting guest. In other news, we're pretty tired.

Scott's Thing - Spider-Man Jamba Juice
Rym's Thing - Valhalla

Comments

• Gumby is the best Free Comic Book Day comic.

I like the GitS tv shows because they work on almost every level. The show is just so good that people that don't really like anime like it. First gig is a little better in my opinion, but second gig that the episode with Major and Saito having a sniper fight which is totally badass.

Booty
    Booty
    Booty
  • Oh wow Valhalla! That's nostalgia overload for me! :D My library in Sweden had it and I read all the Valhalla books I could get hold of as a kid. Along with Prince Valiant and The Phantom it was some of my first experiences of foreign comics. I had no idea Valhalla was Danish nor that it was animated though...
    The language is not Dutch but Danish in the video (they do sound similar), judging by what I saw and what I can remember from the comic I have reasons to believe that the comic was better.
  • Guitar Hero, not heroes.
  • GuitarHero, not heroes.
    There are two games, so far. Thus, Guitar Heroes, as in both of them.
  • edited May 2007
    Talking about stuff in the Ghost in the shell show so you been warned. Ghost in the shell first movie was really good. The Major was really good looking, but not mega hot like the TV show. If the TV shows was really good why dose she look that hot. I did like the first season to Ghost in the shell, but not so much the Second season. I also don't like all the ant-America stuff in it. I mean the one esp. in the pass were the Major works in the UN in some south American war torn city. She in a squad. One American, one UK and two Japanese people. Of course the American person was a bigot and he and UK guy got shot and of course the Japanese people were to smart for that. Then at the end she was in a cool gunfight with someone that’s now part of section 9. I mean how did she get him to Japan. What is she above the law. Another thing that a didn’t like is that in one esp. the Major just gave a Taiwan gangsters two bags of coke to save a kid that she offer to have sex with eailer in that esp. Then in the next esp. when the Major and Batou are in Germany and Batou wants to save the poor girl from a wheel chair and Major says that they don’t have time for that. It’s ok for the Major to do what she did in Taiwan, but help a poor girl forget that! Another ant-America esp. I don’t know if it was the first season or not but the one esp. were Batou were his pass catches up to him. It's when he work for the American empire. Which that title couldn’t more further than the truth in real life. In south American and old friend of his is now in Japan doing the stuff he did in that war. Which was cutting off skin of the poor villagers. Of course america would be ok with that in that war. Give me a break and has it turns out to be a CIA cover-up of why he‘s now in Japan. Then Section 9 arrests the CIA agents. That well be the day anyone in Japan can hold are CIA agents for questioning for anything. Then has their are getting arrested they show the CIA agents with funny looking eyes and expressions. Thats the stuff I haven't seen here in American since the 1920s to 1940s in films about a particular race or other. From that esp. on I almost stop watching the show. All in all these are things I don’t like about the show. It’s an ok show overall, but it’s not all that.

This post is just awful. Please break up your ramblings into paragraphs, and make sure your sentences at least resemble complete ones. -Mr. Period
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Just to let you know, pretty much everyone in the world hates America. The show wasn't made for Americans, it was made for Japan. I think we covered this earlier, but Japanese people are not really friendly to Americans. Also, it is set in a post WW III era in which all the nations made different alliances. It's fiction and makes for great political drama, try not to take it so seriously...
  • edited May 2007
    I know what you're saying, WaterIsPoison. I don't mind a lot of it in the show. I just don't like the racism element in Ghost in the Shell when it comes to showing Americans and how they act or feel . I like the episodes in Ghost in the shell is more of a that are more Sci-fi show than the geo-political one. I liked when they talked about about what technology will do for us in the future, and that it might not always be a good thing. When human mind and technology become one: that's when Ghost in the Shell really shines.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited May 2007
    I'm sorry about that. I have dyslexia, and sometimes I get things backwards or double words when I'm typing things, Mr. Period.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I have dyslexia,and sometimes I get things backwards or double words when I'm typing things, Mr. Period.
    Even if that is true, it doesn't explain away your poor grammar, sentence fragments, and lack of paragraphs.
  • edited May 2007
    It is true. I wouldn't lie about that. Poor grammar is part of what happens to people like me. We get words and phrases backwards. The sentence fragments don't look that bad to me when I'm typing them at the time. They just turn out that way. As for the lack of paragraphs, that is my fault. I haven’t been to a school in about ten years. I did say I was sorry about that. If you don't believe me, there is nothing I can say that will change your mind.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited May 2007
    Just to let you know, pretty much everyone in the world hates America. The show wasn't made for Americans, it was made for Japan. I think we covered this earlier, but Japanese people are not really friendly to Americans. Also, it is set in a post WW III era in which all the nations made different alliances. It's fiction and makes for great political drama, try not to take it so seriously...
    Stand Alone Complex was funded by two American anime companies... I'm sure they had America in mind at least a little bit.
    Post edited by Dave on
  • A few things:

I think you underrate Invincible - I thought that was a pretty good comic. It wasn't earth-shattering or anything, but it was entertaining.

Also, Jamba Juice is a national chain, not just New York. You probably know this, but you said a New York chain (I think).
  • I love the SaC theme song. ^.^

I'm currently still watching Ghost in the Shell SaC, but I have to watch it in long doses. Although it is a very good anime, it can be rather slow and hard to understand, so watching a lot of them at a time keeps me interested.

I still have yet to watch the movie, I can't find it ANYWHERE.
  • I still have yet to watch the movie, I can't find it ANYWHERE.
    Amazon

I don't think you looked very hard. That is, unless you mean Solid State Society. In that case, you'll have to wait:

Amazon.
  • Jamba Juice is a national chain, not just New York.
    There are at least 20 of these things in New York, and more seem to keep popping up. Despite that, I've never seen one around New York outside of the city proper, and there certainly aren't any up in the burbs. Hence, for us, it's effectively a New York City chain. ^_~
  • I still have yet to watch the movie, I can't find it ANYWHERE.
    Amazon

I don't think you looked very hard. That is, unless you mean Solid State Society. In that case, you'll have to wait:

Amazon.
    Well, I'm looking to rent the movie, not buy it.
  • Well, I'm looking to rent the movie, not buy it.
    Netflix

Also, I've never been inside of a Blockbuster that didn't have the first Ghost in the Shell Movie, if not an entire and moderately well-stocked anime section.
  • Hey! You forgot to mention the Scott Pilgrim Free Comic Book Day comic book! (Which I'm assuming you didn't acquire— but it is still awesome!)

Also, I've been looking around for an English copy of Valhalla and it looks like such a thing doesn't exist. The comic has been translated into Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Icelandic, Faroese, Finnish, Dutch, German and Indonesian... but not English.
  • Well, I'm looking to rent the movie, not buy it.
    Netflix

Also, I've never been inside of a Blockbuster that didn't have the first Ghost in the Shell Movie, if not an entire and moderately well-stocked anime section.
    Really? Our Blockbuster sucks when it comes to anime. The only thing it had was Evangelion Volume 1 along with a couple other anime's like .hack., but then again I live on an island. What can you expect? My parents don't really want to sign up for netflix, and I just don't have the money to buy DVD's.

I'll have to convince them to sign up for netflix. It seems like the perfect solution. ^__^
  • The comic has been translated into Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Icelandic, Faroese, Finnish, Dutch, German and Indonesian... but not English.
    Maybe we should see about buying the rights to an English translation... ^_~
  • Both GitS:SAC gig's soundtracks are in constant rotation on my iPod. The music is absolutely wonderful, some of the best and most original composition I have heard in years.

Also, I may or may not have in my possesion a copy of Solid State Society and it may or may not have been amazing...
  • Hey! You forgot to mention the Scott Pilgrim Free Comic Book Day comic book! (Which I'm assuming you didn't acquire— but it is still awesome!)
    Maybe if someone gave us a copy...
    Maybe if someone gave us a copy...
    Haha, I actually don't have a copy. Conrad has the only copy in the apartment, and I sincerely doubt he'll be giving it up any time soon.
  • Oh wow Valhalla! That's nostalgia overload for me! :D My library in Sweden had it and I read all the Valhalla books I could get hold of as a kid. Along with Prince Valiant and The Phantom it was some of my first experiences of foreign comics. I had no idea Valhalla was Danish nor that it was animated though...
    The language is not Dutch but Danish in the video (they do sound similar), judging by what I saw and what I can remember from the comic I have reasons to believe that the comic was better.
    Yes, the comic books are way better! I'm shocked Valhalla is not translated to English. It's world class.
  • Listened to this one via the Tumblr post.

I happened to listen to an episode about Free Comic Book Day 2006 the other day. I didn't really get into the comic book store game until about 2010 or so. Luckily, my local comic book store kicks ass, and you can take pretty much every free comic available if you purchase at least $25 worth of stuff. Free Comic Book Day 2014 is coming up soon and I'm definitely excited for it. -at least for the sales my local store has that day in addition to the free comics.

Ghost in the Shell is definitely one of my favorite franchises. I love pretty much everything that's come out of it. I hope someone will snatch up the Ghost in the Shell stuff from Manga Ent. and Bandai's dead hands and do some cool releases with that stuff.

The Laughing Man arc is definitely one of my favorite things in anime.
  • nooooooooooo